The Student Room Group

University cancels its annual jelly-wrestling contest after feminist complaints

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Fullofsurprises
This isn't a serious story, it's just trifling.

Party pooper.

Geddit, party, jelly at party?
Reply 41
Are the girls forced to participate? If not, I see no problem. They could always have men wrestling after the women, so people can't complain that its feminist but if you don't want to watch you can go somewhere else
Original post by Iron Lady
Yes but those women choose to take part - they are not being forced!

It's not about the women who choose to take part - it's about how women are being treated as sex objects for the enjoyment of mainly men and how that is shown throughout the whole of society. University is one of the only places where you can get your voices heard and will actually have a chance of being listened to. The people who set up the petition are targeting an area of society they don't agree with by targeting a mini version of the problem within their university. They didn't go to a higher authority to get it banned - they simply showed there was opposition to the event and appealed to its organisers to end it. That's how we change social attitudes. We do what we can at the level that we can until those attitudes become more widespread.
Original post by Mworswick
Are the girls forced to participate? If not, I see no problem. They could always have men wrestling after the women, so people can't complain that its feminist but if you don't want to watch you can go somewhere else

Completely failing to see the wider issue...
Reply 44
We need more stronger men nowadays to stand up against this stupidity. The pathetic idiots who bow down to every request of women is starting to get irking.
Reply 45
The feminists who act like this are guilty of one of the core causes of sexism (for both sexes)- they are giving attributes to the group women beyond the basic biological differences. By saying the actions of another female are degrading them they are treating women as a group of identical individuals who are nothing more than the label women, when they should be focusing on the idea that they aren't defined by the fact they are women and are individual people who are accountable to themselves not some other person who just happens to share the same reproductive organs.

Feminism- liberating women from the burden of free choice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by ArtGoblin
It's not about the women who choose to take part - it's about how women are being treated as sex objects for the enjoyment of mainly men and how that is shown throughout the whole of society. University is one of the only places where you can get your voices heard and will actually have a chance of being listened to. The people who set up the petition are targeting an area of society they don't agree with by targeting a mini version of the problem within their university. They didn't go to a higher authority to get it banned - they simply showed there was opposition to the event and appealed to its organisers to end it. That's how we change social attitudes. We do what we can at the level that we can until those attitudes become more widespread.

You call it "changing social attitudes" but it could be more aptly named as "enforcing your morality on others"...
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
:coma:
You sicken me, they are athletes not objects for your sexual pleasure! :tongue:
Reply 48
Original post by SleepySheep

Huge muscles would be achieveable, they would just require an insane amount of work. Bigger breasts or bums are not achieveable through working out alone- women actually have to undergo surgery to look like the women we are told we are supposed to look like.

The objectification of men is not on the same scale as the objectification of women. If you think it is, you are delusional.

I don't particularly want to get involved in this debate, but can i just say that i strongly object to this huge over-simplification. So many factors in male attractiveness are not alterable at all, and so many female factors are alterable. For example, far more men admit to injecting steroids than women have boob jobs each year.
Original post by Skip_Snip
Party pooper.

Geddit, party, jelly at party?

Sorry, it's just rather a slippery issue.
Reply 50
Original post by SleepySheep
Men are definitely objectified too. I was going to mention that in my previous comment, but that would have been going off topic as we're talking about the objectification of women in this thread.

Huge muscles would be achieveable, they would just require an insane amount of work. Bigger breasts or bums are not achieveable through working out alone- women actually have to undergo surgery to look like the women we are told we are supposed to look like.

The objectification of men is not on the same scale as the objectification of women. If you think it is, you are delusional.

The same scale? It's subjective, like I said I see a lot pressure from the media telling how men look like and again they do have unrealistic expectations as most of the men they show do not have natural bodies. The average Joe on the street does not have the genetic potential to reach that limit.
Original post by simon_g
I bet most of those 1000 people were far too ugly/flat to join it, so they've banned it out of jealousy :smile:

My thoughts whilst I read through the op
Reply 52
Original post by doggyfizzel
You sicken me, they are athletes not objects for your sexual pleasure! :tongue:

No let me watch my beach volleyball in peace ok!!!!
Reply 53
Original post by Ultimate1
The same scale? It's subjective, like I said I see a lot pressure from the media telling how men look like and again they do have unrealistic expectations as most of the men they show do not have natural bodies. The average Joe on the street does not have the genetic potential to reach that limit.

Yet another example of a (presumably) female person downplaying the male side of an issue to make themselves look like a victim for longer
Original post by bottled
No let me watch my beach volleyball in peace ok!!!!

Beach volleyball is shameless, they were going to put QR codes on the bums for funding around the Olympics. They know their target market. Beach volleyball to be honest is only popular due to the women being scantily clad, if you were actually interested you would watch volleyball. It only gets that much coverage as they can post pictures of girls in bikinis and girls bums for the purposes of sports journalism.
Original post by nexttime
I don't particularly want to get involved in this debate, but can i just say that i strongly object to this huge over-simplification. So many factors in male attractiveness are not alterable at all, and so many female factors are alterable. For example, far more men admit to injecting steroids than women have boob jobs each year.

I didn't bring that point up to support my argument, I was countering what someone else said. I was just pointing out that if a man really, really wanted to become muscley naturally, it would be achievable. If a woman really, really wanted big breasts naturally, it would not be achieveable. She would have to undergo surgery. That's all I was saying. I wasn't saying it's really easy for men to become muscular, or that they don't face pressure to have good bodies, or that they don't resort to stereoids to achieve these bodies.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by doggyfizzel
Beach volleyball is shameless, they were going to put QR codes on the bums for funding around the Olympics. They know their target market. Beach volleyball to be honest is only popular due to the women being scantily clad, if you were actually interested you would watch volleyball. It only gets that much coverage as they can post pictures of girls in bikinis and girls bums for the purposes of sports journalism.

Duude, I was kidding, I thought the exclamation marks would suggest that
Original post by bottled
Duude, I was kidding, I thought the exclamation marks would suggest that
Yeah I know, I was just saying beach volley can't even complain about sexual objectification, its pretty much the sport's main selling point. Pretty much only second the LFL.
Never take anything the Daily Mail writes about Cambridge student's social lives at face value. It's usually completely out of context and half true.
Original post by bottled
Yet another example of a (presumably) female person downplaying the male side of an issue to make themselves look like a victim for longer

I said that men are objectified by the media and it is harmful to them. That is more than you have done for women. You are the person who is downplaying gender issues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending