The Student Room Group

Job Application Question Help

(I'm not sure if this is the best place to post, but here goes...)

I am applying for a graduate job for my local county council and I have come accross this question...

Please describe briefly your view on the role and function of local government and the services it provides. What are likely to be the most attractive and challenging aspects of working in the sector?

I can't understand what the question is really asking, or rather what my answer will say about my application.

I understand if I replied something like... because I thought it sounded good is an obvious wrong answer but I can't decide what angle to reply from. Has anyone come accross this question before or understands how I could best answer it?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
From this, as from most application forms, I would summise that the employer basically is trying to find out if you actually give a sh*t... That is basically the golden question for any employer so keep that in mind when answering them and show them that you do.

Before concerning yourself with your form, just consider this for a few minutes. A local government / council plays a massive part in what it's basically like to live and work in the area. To illustrate this and the scale of the impact a council potentially has, I've copied and pasted the following from a website that is central to Northern Ireland... The geography is irrelevant - it's merely to briefly demonstrate the huge variety of functions that councils can carry out.

"Councils have a wide range of powers and duties. These include direct, representative and consultative functions.

[h="2"]Powers and duties[/h] All Northern Ireland councils work within the powers conferred (bestowed) on them by various pieces of legislation. They also have certain added ceremonial functions. For example, they can confer freedom of the city or borough on distinguished people.
District council functions can be divided into three areas:

direct

representative

consultative

[h="3"]Direct functions[/h] Direct functions enable councils to provide a wide range of public services in areas such as:

recreation

environmental health

waste management

street cleansing

tourism

economic development

consumer protection

the enforcement of building regulations

litter prevention

provision of cemeteries

the issuing of miscellaneous licences

dog control

[h="3"]Representative functions[/h] Representative functions permit councils to nominate representatives to sit as members of various statutory bodies established to administer regional services such as:

education and library services

health and social services

drainage services

fire protection

[h="3"]Consultative functions[/h] Consultative functions allow councils to represent the views of their population on the way in which regional services are operated throughout each district. This consultative role covers functions such as:

planning

roads

water

conservation

These are centrally administered but where there is an obligation - either by statute or by voluntary agreement - district councils will be consulted about proposals affecting their area."

See what I mean? Looking at that lot, what do you think about it? Do you think they are important? Do you think they are vital to the smooth running of the wider society in which we live? You don't have to go crazy but show them that you have actually considered what they do and what you feel you may enjoy or what you think will be hard about working there and WHY! Give one or two brief examples if you can.

Using examples are generally a huge plus when filling out applications. It's all very well just making a statement but if you have "evidence" to back it up, it gives a point to what your saying and shows you're not just telling them useless statements that you think they want to read. I know you didn't ask for help with the rest of the form as a whole but I feel that picking up on one or two issues that may be affecting your area when telling them your views on their role will show you have taken some sort of interest and are trying to engage with their question in a similar way that one would use examples to back up any statements on positive traits they have or what they could bring to the organisation etc. etc. or when describing previous experience.

One last thing.... It's always useful to have a little read through their website to get a feel for what they're all about and get a feel for their priorities or how they do things. If you find anything which underpins "core values" or that sort of thing - you're onto a winner and can maybe sneakily shoehorn some similar aspect of that into your own answer.

Hope that helps you somewhat and good luck :-)

Quick Reply

Latest