The Student Room Group

Intermediate 2 English

So how we all feeling about English?
How are you guys planning on studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

i have my english exam on friday afternoon! studying for it atm but really just memorsing quotes becasue its such a hard exam to prepare for! done loads of close reading practices the part i am most worried for is the essay writting though because i am so bad at it and never did good in my prelim either so hopefully if i study more this time i can improve-not myuch of a studyer though ! what about you ?? what novel,poem,drama are you doing

stephanie, high school pupil
Reply 2
Only preparing two pieces for my essays, do you think this is enough or a bit too risky?

Posted from TSR Mobile
well if you know two in depth then i think it will be fine but maybe breifly go over another. its always best to do one of each so poem,novel and drama because thats the catogories they come under but in the end its up to you but take the advice from your teachers. when do you have it ??
Reply 4
Thanks, was planning on doing a poem and drama, but I think I'll quickly look over some prose as well! It's on Friday

Posted from TSR Mobile
yea mine is friday too and i still have a lot to learn so dont panic you have all day tomorrow and friday morning to study!
Reply 6
Anyone knows where to get old past papers online??
Reply 7
Original post by Calummac1
Only preparing two pieces for my essays, do you think this is enough or a bit too risky?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For int 2 the questions are really quite vague. I only went in with a poem and a play (In the Snack Bar and Macbeth) and I could answer 3/4 questions for both sections :smile:
Reply 8
Im sitting this exam tommorow too. My texts are Educating Rita for the drama, Assisi, Box Room, Revelation and Sparrow for the poems and Sunset Song for prose, however I don't feel particularly prepared for prose. Am I taking too much of a risk going into the exam only fully prepared for the drama and the four poems? Its just I really want to avoid using Sunset Song as I find it has too much information to condense into a 45 minute essay. Am I taking too much of a risk?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by miz_sam
Im sitting this exam tommorow too. My texts are Educating Rita for the drama, Assisi, Box Room, Revelation and Sparrow for the poems and Sunset Song for prose, however I don't feel particularly prepared for prose. Am I taking too much of a risk going into the exam only fully prepared for the drama and the four poems? Its just I really want to avoid using Sunset Song as I find it has too much information to condense into a 45 minute essay. Am I taking too much of a risk?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Remember you wouldn't be fitting the whole novel into your essay. Yes, you might have to write about the novel as a whole, but usually its on one topic(like turning point, or a relationship between two characters) so you would only be writing about certain parts.

It depends how well Educating Rita fits with the questions- look up past papers on the sqa website and see if you'd be able to write an essay on the drama. There will definitely be a suitable poem question, since you've prepared 4 and the poem questions usually have one that's pretty vague(my class did Revelation, and our teacher showed us that there had been a question every year to suit it).
Reply 10
Original post by Claire__
Remember you wouldn't be fitting the whole novel into your essay. Yes, you might have to write about the novel as a whole, but usually its on one topic(like turning point, or a relationship between two characters) so you would only be writing about certain parts.

It depends how well Educating Rita fits with the questions- look up past papers on the sqa website and see if you'd be able to write an essay on the drama. There will definitely be a suitable poem question, since you've prepared 4 and the poem questions usually have one that's pretty vague(my class did Revelation, and our teacher showed us that there had been a question every year to suit it).

Thanks, yeah I have looked it up and on most papers there is a question to suit educating rita so I think I will just go with what ive got :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by miz_sam
Thanks, yeah I have looked it up and on most papers there is a question to suit educating rita so I think I will just go with what ive got :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck!

What questions is everyone hoping come up? And here's hoping the close reading is an interesting topic or it'll be a very boring hour...
Original post by Claire__
Good luck!

What questions is everyone hoping come up? And here's hoping the close reading is an interesting topic or it'll be a very boring hour...

I'm hoping for an nice simple "life or death or..." or "strong reaction" question in poetry, and an "important human issue" in drama.
Reply 13
Im hoping for an important human issue in drama and a mood and atmosphere or human relationship question in poetry
Reply 14
Original post by CSM1996
For int 2 the questions are really quite vague. I only went in with a poem and a play (In the Snack Bar and Macbeth) and I could answer 3/4 questions for both sections :smile:

How did you do?
Reply 15
I'm more bothered about close reading than anything else

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Any predictions for Prose / Drama / Poetry ?
I really hope there's something about human weakness for drama and aspect of human life for prose. Otherwise I'm screwed :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by jackamakka
I really hope there's something about human weakness for drama and aspect of human life for prose. Otherwise I'm screwed :frown:

Lol same! But I don't like the prose much, it's about this lady who's husband passed away and shows the readers her journey facing through depression and anorexia :K:
I am so nervous. I was only going to prepare two essays: Poetry- Visiting Hour and Film- Schindlars List but having a look through the past papers more of the questions seem to fit my prose piece- The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Even although I hate the text I think I might prepare for that because I don't want to be left to try and do it all from memory if Schindlars List isn't useful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending