The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If you notice, all the subjects where a first is more likely - they are science subjects. In science generally there is a right and a wrong answer. In the subjects such as humanities, law etc, it can be the way the wind is blowing and if the marker agrees with your answer.

I have a daughter doing maths and never at any point in the past year has she ever said it is easy.I think law probably requires a lot of reading and a very deep understanding of the process so it is hard to achieve a first unless you are superhuman.

There is this article in the telegraph which starts to explain possible reasons

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9870194/How-to-get-a-first-class-degree.html
Reply 2
Original post by Vicious
I've just found an article that says only 6% of Law Students get a 1st class degree while 30% of Mathematics students get a first. What are your thoughts on this?

My thoughts would be : Mathematicians are cleverer than Law students

:biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by TenOfThem
My thoughts would be : Mathematicians are cleverer than Law students

:biggrin:

You think so? I would imagine that Law requires a lot more work than Maths..
Apples and oranges.

You can get 100% in a math/science exam. It takes a lot of work.

You'll struggle to get above 65% in a law exam. In many essay subjects, getting above 75% is near impossible.

80%+ is almost unheard of, and is usually an indication that the work is of publishable quality.

Is one harder than the other? Who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vicious
You think so? I would imagine that Law requires a lot more work than Maths..

I think you'd be wrong. Law requires a lot of work, but so does math.
Reply 6
Different kind of work.

law is reading and more reading whereas, in math you may end up spending 3 hours on 1 single equation. So depends what you want.
Reply 7
Medicine
Original post by combbrah
Medicine

Medicine is all in all rather a different process, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
Medicine is all in all rather a different process, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Combine the difficulty of the material (it's not the most conceptually difficult out there, but it's still pretty hard), the ridiculous volume of material, and the added stress of having clinical contact with patients and that entire side, together with the length of the course - it's probably the overall hardest degree
Engineering is the hardest. Law is a mickey mouse degree.
And my dick is bigger than all of yours

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quite hard to say which is the hardest degree. For one, hardness varies from person to person; for example I find the sciences far easier than essay subjects, but some of my classmates are the exact opposite. Furthermore there are so many different factors that contribute to difficulty: volume of work, are the concepts abstract? etc.

You will get the common answers of maths and medicine being the hardest degrees, and they are definitely taxing degrees, but to say 'this degree is the hardest, period' is somewhat naive in my opinion. It would be better to say 'this is the hardest degree for me'.
Original post by Muppet Science
Quite hard to say which is the hardest degree. For one, hardness varies from person to person; for example I find the sciences far easier than essay subjects, but some of my classmates are the exact opposite. Furthermore there are so many different factors that contribute to difficulty: volume of work, are the concepts abstract? etc.

You will get the common answers of maths and medicine being the hardest degrees, and they are definitely taxing degrees, but to say 'this degree is the hardest, period' is somewhat naive in my opinion. It would be better to say 'this is the hardest degree for me'.

Agreed....

Posted from TSR Mobile
*Cough* Chemical engineering *cough*

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's just the subjective nature of the subject, I think - as said by someone else already it's very possible to get 100% in a maths exam but to do the same in something like law, history or english? That's a challenge
I have a Maths degree and am two thirds of the way through a law degree. I found Maths much harder than Law. That may be partly that I have more 'natural talent' for Law and partly because my Maths degree is from Cambridge and my law degree is from a lower ranked uni.
Reply 17
Original post by SDavis123
*Cough* Chemical engineering *cough*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you like a cough sweet?
Original post by Forum User
I have a Maths degree and am two thirds of the way through a law degree. I found Maths much harder than Law. That may be partly that I have more 'natural talent' for Law and partly because my Maths degree is from Cambridge and my law degree is from a lower ranked uni.

That may be a slight factor. -_-
Theoretical Physics
They are quite different degrees. As well, for maths that not one-dimensional but very focused on that one field of maths and numbers etc... With law it's a combination almost, an application of different skills and subjects plus essay writing is something most people find difficult. Plus, maths tends to have very high entrance requirements so you kinda have to be really good at it already, with law you may not have any experience and it's a steeper-ish learning curve.

Latest

Trending

Trending