The Student Room Group

Evidence of compelling personal reasons - Wtf?

Hi,

Basically I started University in Sept 2010, but left in Sept 2011. Then I re-started at a new University in Sept 2012, and student-finance are currently funding me. However I applied for student finance funding for 2013/14 and on my online system it says they want evidence of compelling personal reasons?

I don't understand why this is as I'm not leaving my new university anytime soon!?

Advice is appreciated

Thanks
Original post by Garib
Hi,

Basically I started University in Sept 2010, but left in Sept 2011. Then I re-started at a new University in Sept 2012, and student-finance are currently funding me. However I applied for student finance funding for 2013/14 and on my online system it says they want evidence of compelling personal reasons?

I don't understand why this is as I'm not leaving my new university anytime soon!?

Advice is appreciated

Thanks

As you did a year at one university, you have lost your +1 (or gift year) of funding. This means that you only have funding for the length of your course and if you fail a year, you would have to fund that year yourself.

This is where Compelling Personal Reasons come in... if you left your university because you were ill, o a parent had died or something, then you would submit evidence to show that, and you may get that extra year of funding back.

If you left university simply because the course was't for you etc, then you don't have compelling personal reasons and you don't need to submit any evidence or anything.
Reply 2
Original post by Knalchemist
As you did a year at one university, you have lost your +1 (or gift year) of funding. This means that you only have funding for the length of your course and if you fail a year, you would have to fund that year yourself.

This is where Compelling Personal Reasons come in... if you left your university because you were ill, o a parent had died or something, then you would submit evidence to show that, and you may get that extra year of funding back.

If you left university simply because the course was't for you etc, then you don't have compelling personal reasons and you don't need to submit any evidence or anything.

Ahh I see, so will I get full funding for the 3yrs of my course - assuming I don't fail a yr?
did you start your second year? Even if you only did a day SFE will consider you to have had 3 years funding by now.
Reply 4
Original post by balotelli12
did you start your second year? Even if you only did a day SFE will consider you to have had 3 years funding by now.

nope, I did not
Original post by Garib
Ahh I see, so will I get full funding for the 3yrs of my course - assuming I don't fail a yr?

Yes you will now only get funding for the length of your course. If you fail a year, you have to self fund the repeat year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending