The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS English Literature - 17/5/13 exam help!

We need to revise 2 books which are Jane Eyre & The Magic Toyshop. Also we have 18 poems with the themes of 'Land'.

Anyone doing this exam?? please reply! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Hannah196
We need to revise 2 books which are Jane Eyre & The Magic Toyshop. Also we have 18 poems with the themes of 'Land'.

Hi - I'm doing land poetry too! I'm studying Wuthering Heights and The Color Purple. How are you finding revising? My worst nightmare is not being able to remember a quote and spending ages looking for it. :eek:
Reply 2

I'm doing this exam too:smile: my books are Brighton Rock and Lies of silence, and our anthology is home! Do you feel confident for the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'm doing Jane Eyre, Wild Sargasso Sea and the poetry we're doing is based around the theme of work.

How do you guys revise for this?
I absolutely hate poetry and we've have so many poems we could talk about!

hey, I'm doing Jane Eyre too. For poetry, we have 16 poems of Edward Thomas and I'm so scared for the exam. Jane Eyre is fine, I know most of the quotations, but for poetry, I'm still memorising quotes.
Reply 5
Anyone else doing Pride and Prejudice and The Yellow Wallpaper? I am also doing the poetry anthology with the theme of land.
How do I revise for this, I'm so stuck!! Do I go through themes of the novels or...?
Reply 6
Original post by xxnetanyaxx
Anyone else doing Pride and Prejudice and The Yellow Wallpaper? I am also doing the poetry anthology with the theme of land.
How do I revise for this, I'm so stuck!! Do I go through themes of the novels or...?

I'm doing different novels to you, I'm doing Wuthering Heights and The Color Purple. I'm going through the themes and picking out quotes for each novel so I know what quotes I will be using. I'm going to do some timed essays as well.
I'm doing land poetry too - I've sort of grouped poems together (religion, nature, relationships, change etc) so I know which ones would go best with eachother and I can compare more about :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by jess2703
I'm doing this exam too:smile: my books are Brighton Rock and Lies of silence, and our anthology is home! Do you feel confident for the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing the same but have no real idea to revise for the exam! Anyone got any tips?
Reply 8

I'm studying Pride and Prejudice and The Yellow Wallpaper. I think the key to revising is knowing the two texts really well being familiar with it, knowing your themes with quotes linked to the themes and knowing how the characters link to different themes. I'd look at themes relevant in both novels such as self knowledge, marriage and so on.

The poetry anthology I'm studying is the theme of land. I'd say have a look through past papers to get an idea of the kinds of questions asked (i could send you a list of some if anyone wants them). Also know the AO's so you know exactly what you need to write to get the marks.
Reply 9
Original post by iano101
I'm doing the same but have no real idea to revise for the exam! Anyone got any tips?

I feel the best way to revise is just to keep practising the skills you need. Keep doing past papers. Before you go into the exam make sure you have grouped the poems with similar themes, structures, ideas ect so you don't have to waste time doing that in the exam! Reread both novels too as then the ideas are fresh in your mind in the exam! Good Luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by kara91783
I'm studying Pride and Prejudice and The Yellow Wallpaper. I think the key to revising is knowing the two texts really well being familiar with it, knowing your themes with quotes linked to the themes and knowing how the characters link to different themes. I'd look at themes relevant in both novels such as self knowledge, marriage and so on.

The poetry anthology I'm studying is the theme of land. I'd say have a look through past papers to get an idea of the kinds of questions asked (i could send you a list of some if anyone wants them). Also know the AO's so you know exactly what you need to write to get the marks.

Hey could you possibly send me list? Im really suck:frown:
Reply 11

Reply 12
Original post by Smit227

In your response to these questions you should focus on Pride and Prejudice to establish your argument and you should refer to The Yellow Wallpaper to support and develop your line of argument, in the light of the statement. [40 marks]
1.‘The main problem with this tale is that some of the characters and their actions are essentially unbelievable.’ Using Pride and Prejudice page 30 as your starting point, from ‘”From all that I can collect by your manner of talking, you must be two of the silliest girls in the country”’ to ‘”my mother’s purpose will be answered”’ on page 31, explore the methods writers use to develop characters and their actions.
2. 'If we don't care about marriages of the characters, there isn't much else to interest us in Pride and Prejudice.' Explore the methods which writers use to create interest in their characters and their marriages.
3.‘The effective depiction of realistic settings is essential to the success of Pride and Prejudice.’ Using Pride and Prejudice page 153 as your starting point, from ‘Every object in the next day’s journey’ to ‘It was rather small, but well built and convenient;’ on pages 154–155, explore the methods which writers use to present setting.
4. ‘Pride and Prejudice is preoccupied with surfaces and never gets beneath them.’ Explore the ways in which writers present the worlds of their novels
5. ‘In Pride and Prejudice Jane Austen is essentially writing about self-knowledge.’ Using Pride and Prejudice page 200 as your starting point, from ‘She perfectly remembered every thing that had passed in conversation between Wickham and herself,’ to ‘“Till this moment, I never knew myself”’ on page 202, explore the methods writers use to develop the theme of self-knowledge.

All the mark schemes are here http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/english/lit/Pages/default.aspx

Include the narrative techniques: (just ask if you need any of these explaining)
1. narrative structure
2. narrative and chronological time
3. narrative voice
4. use of speech
5. use of images, symbols and motifs
6. genre and generic conventions

To answer these questions you must use A01 and A02:
A01 [15 marks] - your ideas and use if terminology
A02 [25 marks] - Language, form and structure of the texts

I've attached a sheet that should help with the A0's sorry if you can't read it very well but it could be usefulAbfN3QbfXNyQ6TFYe2Ay2aC1.jpg
I'm doing Pride and Prejudice too, with The Yellow Wallpaper, but my poetry section is work? :/

I am reading through revision guides etc, but I don't know anything on the theme of choice, fate and chance :!
Reply 15
Original post by FarukhMunshi
I'm doing Pride and Prejudice too, with The Yellow Wallpaper, but my poetry section is work? :/

My poetry sections on work too. I wrote land in my other post by accident oops.

I'm doing the same novels, but just praying for a really good question where we can use language techniques etc
In your response to these questions you should focus on Pride and Prejudice to establish your argument and you should refer to The Yellow Wallpaper to support and develop your line of argument, in the light of the statement. [40 marks]
1.‘The main problem with this tale is that some of the characters and their actions are essentially unbelievable.’ Using Pride and Prejudice page 30 as your starting point, from ‘”From all that I can collect by your manner of talking, you must be two of the silliest girls in the country”’ to ‘”my mother’s purpose will be answered”’ on page 31, explore the methods writers use to develop characters and their actions.
2. 'If we don't care about marriages of the characters, there isn't much else to interest us in Pride and Prejudice.' Explore the methods which writers use to create interest in their characters and their marriages.
3.‘The effective depiction of realistic settings is essential to the success of Pride and Prejudice.’ Using Pride and Prejudice page 153 as your starting point, from ‘Every object in the next day’s journey’ to ‘It was rather small, but well built and convenient;’ on pages 154–155, explore the methods which writers use to present setting.

4. ‘Pride and Prejudice is preoccupied with surfaces and never gets beneath them.’ Explore the ways in which writers present the worlds of their novels
5. ‘In Pride and Prejudice Jane Austen is essentially writing about self-knowledge.’ Using Pride and Prejudice page 200 as your starting point, from ‘She perfectly remembered every thing that had passed in conversation between Wickham and herself,’ to ‘“Till this moment, I never knew myself”’ on page 202, explore the methods writers use to develop the theme of self-knowledge.

All the mark schemes are here http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/english/lit/Pages/default.aspx

Include the narrative techniques: (just ask if you need any of these explaining)
1. narrative structure
2. narrative and chronological time
3. narrative voice
4. use of speech
5. use of images, symbols and motifs
6. genre and generic conventions

To answer these questions you must use A01 and A02:
A01 [15 marks] - your ideas and use if terminology
A02 [25 marks] - Language, form and structure of the texts

I've attached a sheet that should help with the A0's sorry if you can't read it very well but it could be usefulAbfN3QbfXNyQ6TFYe2Ay2aC1.jpg

This was so useful thank you!! I am just a bit stuck on how to throw in things about the Yellow Wallpaper too. I see links between the two novels, such as marriage, voice of society etc, but how do I incorporate that into my essay? Any help would be great :smile:
Reply 18

This was so useful thank you!! I am just a bit stuck on how to throw in things about the Yellow Wallpaper too. I see links between the two novels, such as marriage, voice of society etc, but how do I incorporate that into my essay? Any help would be great :smile:

You're welcome it's no problem since I need to revise over all this.

I don't think this is the best way to do it but we were taught to introduce the question with Pride and Prejudice and then link The Yellow Wallpaper into it by stating the way the common theme is presented in both novels. For example 'In Pride and Prejudice Jane Austen presents marriage as... Using (state some narrative techniques like epistolary devices, dialogue, free indirect style...). Charlotte Perkins Gilman also explores the theme of marriage using... ' Then getting into the main body of the essay answer the question in relation to Pride and Prejudice. Make all your points to do with Pride and Prejudice and then establish your argument for The Yellow Wallpaper answering the question in relation to The Yellow Wallpaper. In the conclusion again just like in the introduction conclude both texts together linking them using the theme they have in common.
The reason this isn't the best way to do it is just in case you run out of time you need to have included both texts in your essay.
Reply 19
Im doing Jane Eyre & Wide Sargasso sea, with the land themed poems. Hope the exam tomorrow goes well for everyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending