Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 OCR English Lit - Compare Tis pity she's a whore & the wife of bath

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I have an exam based on king Lear plus these two novels, however king Lear is a seperate question. What I am struggling with is making comparisons between Tis Pity and The Wife Of Bath. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 1 follower

Hi! Maybe we can help with your question.

On Marked by Teachers, teachers and top students analyse all sorts of English essays to give you an insider's look into what makes a great essay. Come and visit our English essay section on Marked by Teachers and use this analysis and advice to write your own masterpiece at GCSE or A-level!

We're TSR's sister site, so you're sure to feel right at home straight away. Just take our free tour to see how we can help you with your studies.

Thanks!
    Your English study helper
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnny794)
    Hello, I have an exam based on king Lear plus these two novels, however king Lear is a seperate question. What I am struggling with is making comparisons between Tis Pity and The Wife Of Bath. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey, i'm doing 'Tis pity and Wife of Bath also - this is my first post on TSR and I thought trying to help you might help me revise also :P

Firstly I guess it goes without saying that both the Wife and the siblings are challenging the established order of their respective societies - The Wife through her confrontation of misogyny in society; dominating her husbands, having multiple husbands etc. And the siblings obviously confront the taboo of incest in their society through their relationship, as well as the notion of marriage (and how necessary it is to be married for women of the time), additionally they are also unconventional due to the adultery involved (in regards to Annabella/Soranzo/Giovanni) and the extramarital sex.

How rooted misogyny is in both the society of 'Tis Pity and the Wife of Bath is something both texts have in common - and consequently something that both writers question in their work. Misogyny in the Wife of Bath is explored chiefly through the actions of conventional society and of the Wife in challenge to each other. For example, the way in which the Wife unconventionally dominates the majority of her husbands and offers her sexuality as a medium of exchange, and the way which this is so explicitly unconventional compared to the norm in society. Also, the misogyny ingrained in society - for example the book which one of the Wife's husbands reads from stating that "Women are the confusion of all man" among other misogynistic concepts. In 'Tis Pity misogyny is rife throughout - the treatment of Annabella as such an object, for her sexuality, the treatment of Putana, as well as the condemnation and demise of Annabella; the blame for the incest and adultery, whilst Giovanni and other male characters are not punished in the same way.

Thats a few things just off the top of my head for 'Tis Pity and Wife of Bath, pretty much the ideas i've been learning about are challenging the established order/conventionality, misogyny, importance of marriage, presentation of women etc. Hope this helps pal
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have my exam on Thursday quite nervous.
    I'm doing the Tempest for one section and Tis Pity and Wife Of Bath for the other.
    The themes i've been given were:
    Love
    Marriage
    Self Destruction
    Sex
    Women

And the Other Critics we used were:
    Tony Slade WOB
    Derek Pearsall WOB
    Paul Cantor TIS PITY
    N.W Bawcutt TIS PITY
    Clifford Leech TIS PITY
    Marion Lomax TIS PITY
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also don't forget you get a choice of over 5 questions.. so i'm sure you will find a topic that you feel confident to answer. There is only so much they can ask!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any good ideas of what to say about the time it was written etc
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for the help both of you! How did you find the exam today?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 6, 2013
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.