The Student Room Group

My driving lessons aren't an hour long?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Walter Ego
Consider....

Car finance around £2000 a year
Maintenance £1500+ (2 services/yr + repairs + wear & tear)
Insurance £1000±
Fuel £4000±
Promotion £1000+
CRB checks, DSA tests, training and qualifications £????

=£9500 as a guess. Probably lots of other costs to add.

30hrs/wk @ £20/hr = £28,200
- £9500 = £18700
- tax = approx £14600, maybe ?

TBH, when you think that they are giving people a life skill which not only gives freedom and joy, but may keep you alive, they're quite cheap.

I don't know where you live or when you did your driving lessons, but driving lessons here are £28-£32 an hour, not £20.

Not that it makes much of a difference because you're just trying to make a point, but still, driving lessons aren't cheap.
Reply 21
Original post by angelooo
I don't know where you live or when you did your driving lessons, but driving lessons here are £28-£32 an hour, not £20.

Not that it makes much of a difference because you're just trying to make a point, but still, driving lessons aren't cheap.

I think it depends on where you live. My lessons are £18ph
Reply 22
Original post by Raychul
I think it depends on where you live. My lessons are £18ph

Dude, what?! Where do you live? I'm coming to live with you for summer while I pass my test!
Consider....

Insurance £1000±
Fuel £4000±
Promotion £1000+

- £9500 = £18700

TBH, when you think that they are giving people a life skill which not only gives freedom and joy, but may keep you alive, they're quite cheap.

They are not cheap.
Consider....

Insurance £1000±
Fuel £4000±
Promotion £1000+

- £9500 = £18700

They get a new car every year - or at least my instructor had to!
Reply 25
Dude, what?! Where do you live? I'm coming to live with you for summer while I pass my test!

Dudette** :tongue: I live in Newcastle. Nearly all driving schools up here are under £20!! Apart from BSM and AA.
Reply 26
Original post by Raychul
Dudette** :tongue: I live in Newcastle. Nearly all driving schools up here are under £20!! Apart from BSM and AA.

Haha sorry! That's crazy though! Consider yourself lucky :smile:.
Reply 27
Complain!!! 45minutes is a joke

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Thanks for all the replies. :redface:

My lesson on Tuesday was actually longer than an hour!

maybe he heard after all the complaints I put in :eek:
Reply 29
Original post by TomWBA
This always seems to be the problem with big driving schools like AA/Homer's.. but I've been with the AA for 3 weeks and my lessons have never been to the full hour! I had my first two hour lesson which finished five minutes early, I had last Tuesday a lesson which should've gone from 6:15 to 7:15 but it went from 6:10 to 6:55, then Saturday which took the mick completely, a lesson from 9am to 10:45 which should've been 9-11! :eek:

I never realise at the time, but only when we finish driving. So it's still like 45 minutes and it's building up and I have my test in the matter of a few weeks, how can I say it without really damaging anything as I don't want him to turn round and stop bothering :redface:

Hello TomWBA, this is something that we would like to look into for you, please email the details including your full name, address and pupil number to [email protected] Reference FOR42079 Kind Regards, The AA
Reply 30
I have 10 hours for £136 in Sunderland

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
I had my first driving lesson last week, today I've got my second and I really don't feel like I've made progress at all.. all I have done is the cockpit drill and messed up moving off.. I know people learn at their own pace but was anyone like me on their first lesson and what did you so for your second?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32

In London you can get £20 lessons
Last year I was paying £18 to my private instructor, she was going to have a fee rise jan 2013, but I passed dec 2012 so i was saved
Reply 33
Original post by Fjarskafinn
Driving lessons are hugely marked up prices anyway, and you're not even getting what you pay for right now.

By the time the instructor pays for petrol to get to the client, petrol for the lesson, the professional driving insurance, the copious amount of repairs on the car needed as it's driven so much, they take home around £8-10 an hour. Seeing as this is a job which requires training and exams to do, I'd say that's fair enough.
(Dad is driving instructor)

But anyway, OP, you should just say. He is probably aware but just thinks he is getting away with it.
Reply 34
Original post by dooobie_
I had my first driving lesson last week, today I've got my second and I really don't feel like I've made progress at all.. all I have done is the cockpit drill and messed up moving off.. I know people learn at their own pace but was anyone like me on their first lesson and what did you so for your second?

Dude, you've only just started!! Don't start doubting yourself.

On my second lesson I was still on my moving off stuff. Just give yourself time :smile:. You never know
Reply 35
Do not "confront" him in the sense of going " Hey I am not gonna pay the full fees, your lessons are never the full hour etc" (Angry Voice). Instead I would just bring it up when you're approuching your home near the end. Just say "Oh we have 10 minutes left, can i practice ______ now?"
Reply 36
Original post by TomWBA
This always seems to be the problem with big driving schools like AA/Homer's.. but I've been with the AA for 3 weeks and my lessons have never been to the full hour! I had my first two hour lesson which finished five minutes early, I had last Tuesday a lesson which should've gone from 6:15 to 7:15 but it went from 6:10 to 6:55, then Saturday which took the mick completely, a lesson from 9am to 10:45 which should've been 9-11! :eek:

I never realise at the time, but only when we finish driving. So it's still like 45 minutes and it's building up and I have my test in the matter of a few weeks, how can I say it without really damaging anything as I don't want him to turn round and stop bothering :redface:

Its a tricky one but you are paying so i would say to him we keep finishing a bit early arent we gonna practice manouveres or something for last 5-10 mins if he apologises and never does it agai. Fair enough put it behind u if he says something like theres not really much you can do in 5 mins or something never call back and get a new driving instructor and then lets see how he feels mug !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by synonomous
By the time the instructor pays for petrol to get to the client, petrol for the lesson, the professional driving insurance, the copious amount of repairs on the car needed as it's driven so much, they take home around £8-10 an hour. Seeing as this is a job which requires training and exams to do, I'd say that's fair enough.
(Dad is driving instructor)

But anyway, OP, you should just say. He is probably aware but just thinks he is getting away with it.

Fair point - personally I'm thinking of the franchised instructors where a cut goes to the agency.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending