The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know when we find out the criteria of the QTS exams and is anyone considering a few sections with a tutor just to get the wheels turning again? I haven't done any maths since year 11 and didn't do any work during year 10 and 11 as I didn't get on with my teacher so I am really worried about my maths.
Reply 301
Original post by Shelly_x
If you've already set up your experience then they should have informed you if you need a Crb check anyway. I know you legally don't need one unless you're unsupervised, however many schools still insist upon you getting one. You can use one that has been done recently if the school you're volunteering in will accept it, so you should clarify whether they'd accept this or if they'd want an individual one with them.
Your subject specific classroom experience is the most important, so you'll definitely need to have done it before you have an interview, which is likely to be December or January but could be earlier depending on the provider.

Thanks for the help. I will be contacting as many local schools as I can, when term starts, so hopefully a few will have me. I have a friend teaching at one high school so I should be okay getting in to do something there.

As long as I go to the schools with something to offer, I've been told I'll stand a chance of getting to at the very least observe some lessons...
I am definitely applying. Since this year the applications are done through the UCAS, does that mean i can only apply for PGCEs or can I also apply for other masters?
Reply 303
I'm intending on applying in October for Secondary Geography, no idea where I am going to apply to though. Anyone else for secondary Geography?
Yep. I'm about to start my final year of my BSc and then straight on to PGCE. I can't wait to be a teacher, it just feels like it'll be a very real and rewarding job.
I emailed five schools 4 weeks ago but I did not get a response. Today I visited two of them, turns out they are closed till september. I guess I will need to arrange my supervision then.
Original post by Dragonfly07
Yep. I'm about to start my final year of my BSc and then straight on to PGCE. I can't wait to be a teacher, it just feels like it'll be a very real and rewarding job.

Same. May I ask what degree are you doing now? Also what PGCE subject will you do? :smile:
Original post by Louzilla
I'm intending on applying in October for Secondary Geography, no idea where I am going to apply to though. Anyone else for secondary Geography?

Do you have school observations arranged for september? I plan to apply at the end of November or early December.
Reply 308
Original post by Juichiro
Do you have school observations arranged for september? I plan to apply at the end of November or early December.

Slightly, I've already done 7 days in a school and I have a placement module in my first semester for 10 days. I need to contact the school when they are open to confirm and I have another school I will be going back to for an afternoon a week. I'm hoping I'll be covered with this experience.
Have you organised your observations? And are you applying for Geography?

Woo, someone for Geography! Even if they are BSc haha.....or not Geography :frown: Where are you intending on applying?
(edited 10 years ago)
Same. May I ask what degree are you doing now? Also what PGCE subject will you do? :smile:

I'm doing Biology and I'll go for a secondary science PGCE. What about you?
Slightly, I've already done 7 days in a school and I have a placement module in my first semester for 10 days. I need to contact the school when they are open to confirm and I have another school I will be going back to for an afternoon a week. I'm hoping I'll be covered with this experience.

Woo, someone for Geography! Even if they are BSc haha. Where are you intending on applying?

Nope. I left it till the last minute because I was busy applying for summer internships. :frown: So far I have nothing arranged. I have emailed schools and even go to speak to the head of school but they are all closed. So the first week of september I will try again. I also wanted to volunteer with scouts but they are not doing anything this summer. I was told to wait till September. So yeah, I will be stressing myself this September. :frown:
I am applying for MFL Spanish (and hopefully French). I heard there are always vacancies on those subjects so I hope I will be fine.

Woo, someone for Geography! Even if they are BSc haha.....or not Geography :frown: Where are you intending on applying?

lol I'm not doing Geography sorry. :frown:
I'm doing Biology and I'll go for a secondary science PGCE. What about you?

Psychology and going for a MFL PGCE. :smile:
Reply 313
Nope. I left it till the last minute because I was busy applying for summer internships. :frown: So far I have nothing arranged. I have emailed schools and even go to speak to the head of school but they are all closed. So the first week of september I will try again. I also wanted to volunteer with scouts but they are not doing anything this summer. I was told to wait till September. So yeah, I will be stressing myself this September. :frown:
I am applying for MFL Spanish (and hopefully French). I heard there are always vacancies on those subjects so I hope I will be fine.

My lecturer told me do not email them as a first point of contact, she said you should always ring them and follow up with emails. She also said if you find out the name of the head of dept that is helpful for getting a shoe in the door.
There are other ways of volunteering similar to scouts but it might be a bit late in the summer for it. I'm sure you'll do it. :smile:

lol I'm not doing Geography sorry. :frown:

Gutted haha. Regardless, where are you applying?
I have no idea which three to choose. The only definite one is Edge Hill for me, but I'm unsure about the others, and I don't know whether to make one of my choices schools direct, even though I'd prefer the uni route there is a provider near me for the SD route. Don't know! I will have to decide sharpish. I'm hoping to commute you see, so want to think of places near me.
Hi all I was just wondering if anyone knew if we were able to register an account for the gttr/ucas pgce application now, so we would be able to fill in personal details, personal statement etc to save time and then on the 1st of November send off the application?

I'm very confused about the whole application process so any info would be greatly appreciated

Thank you!
Original post by graceindia
Hi all I was just wondering if anyone knew if we were able to register an account for the gttr/ucas pgce application now, so we would be able to fill in personal details, personal statement etc to save time and then on the 1st of November send off the application?

I'm very confused about the whole application process so any info would be greatly appreciated

Thank you!

Don't think you can register until October when it opens for 2014 entry. Is it now November where you can send it off? I thought you could send it in October provided you had your reference done and payment etc?
Original post by Steveluis10
Don't think you can register until October when it opens for 2014 entry. Is it now November where you can send it off? I thought you could send it in October provided you had your reference done and payment etc?

I believe it is November 1st. And yeah, I don't think you can register first. It stresses me out a lot because it would be a lot easier, but I will signing up and then nagging the references asap!
Reply 318
Does anyone know when we can sit our QTS tests?

I wanted to take mine as soon as possible after application so they were done before any possible interviews, but we can't sign up and book them yet and I'm conscious that if we become able to do so too close to applications then there'll be a mad rush!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SNichol
Does anyone know when we can sit our QTS tests?

I wanted to take mine as soon as possible after application so they were done before any possible interviews, but we can't sign up and book them yet and I'm conscious that if we become able to do so too close to applications then there'll be a mad rush!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am fearing that the mad rush will be inevitable. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending