Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PGCE 2014 Applications (NOT FOR SPECIFIC INTERVIEW TASK DISCUSSIONS)

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neonlj)
    If you get a student overdraft for whilst you're on your course you will easily pay it off during your firs year in teaching.
    I can only get a loan for the rent, not for the living costs cause I'm not a UK student
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    So in a surprising and extremely unfortunate turn of events, the high school that said I could go back any time for work exp in September is burning down as I type four 11-14 year olds have been arrested and it's basically burning the whole school down! They were due to start on Tuesday, so now it looks like the students are going to have to be spread out across the rest of the schools in my town. It is very, very sad. I have no idea what this means for me getting any more work exp seeing as I think the rest of the schools will be pretty stressed out with all this business. I may have to look further afield.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    So in a surprising and extremely unfortunate turn of events, the high school that said I could go back any time for work exp in September is burning down as I type four 11-14 year olds have been arrested and it's basically burning the whole school down! They were due to start on Tuesday, so now it looks like the students are going to have to be spread out across the rest of the schools in my town. It is very, very sad. I have no idea what this means for me getting any more work exp seeing as I think the rest of the schools will be pretty stressed out with all this business. I may have to look further afield.
    Oh no this is awful! I just saw it on the news!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of any list of the most and (more importantly for me) the least popular PGCE providers?

I'm from outside the UK, and I'm probably not even going to stay there for more than a few years: I'll be off to teach in China I think. So where I do my PGCE doesn't matter much to be. And since all PGCE's are seen as being of roughly equal worth, I figure I may as well just apply to the places that are easier to get into.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SharpyShuffle)
    Does anyone know of any list of the most and (more importantly for me) the least popular PGCE providers?

I'm from outside the UK, and I'm probably not even going to stay there for more than a few years: I'll be off to teach in China I think. So where I do my PGCE doesn't matter much to be. And since all PGCE's are seen as being of roughly equal worth, I figure I may as well just apply to the places that are easier to get into.
    Have a look at some of the statistics in this. No need to read it all but you may find something of relevance in the tables.

I don't think any place is going to be easy to get in to as such. What are you wanting to teach? Primary/secondary/what subject? Some are more competitive than others.

It doesn't really matter where anyone does their PGCE, btw. Everyone gets QTS at the end of successful completion, which is all that matters.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I graduated with a degree in information systems but having observed both I decided I wanted to do primary. . It seems like your degree has to link with it somehow my degree has nothing to do with children or studying their behaviour although I did a separate course online which taught be about teaching methods, learning styles and behaviour management... am I doomed?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    Hi guys,

I graduated with a degree in information systems but having observed both I decided I wanted to do primary. . It seems like your degree has to link with it somehow my degree has nothing to do with children or studying their behaviour although I did a separate course online which taught be about teaching methods, learning styles and behaviour management... am I doomed?
    You shouldn't be. Forgive my ignorance, but is your degree IT related? Because that would be useful in a school. Have a think about why you want to teach and get some more experience, then you're just as prepared as any of us.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I'm due to graduate in 2014 with combined subjects (media major/English minor) and I'm hoping to teach secondary English. Will the fact that I study English minor affect my application to the PGCE course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamiic)
    Hi everyone

I'm due to graduate in 2014 with combined subjects (media major/English minor) and I'm hoping to teach secondary English. Will the fact that I study English minor affect my application to the PGCE course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I take it the fact it's a minor subject means 50% of your course isn't studying it? I know a lot of places require you have at least 50% in the course you want to teach. A good English A-Level grade and lots of work experience could help though. English is a VERY competitive subject at PGCE, so sadly that won't help.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamiic)
    Hi everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To teach secondary English your degree needs to be at least 50% English. If this isn't the case for you then I believe you have to do some kind of conversion course? I could be wrong though'.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm thinking of doing a primary pgce following a sociology degree, I'm starting my degree this month. Is this possible, if so can anyone give me advise on what sort of things I should do during the three years of my degree. Voluntary work? Much appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neskisan)
    Hey, I'm thinking of doing a primary pgce following a sociology degree, I'm starting my degree this month. Is this possible, if so can anyone give me advise on what sort of things I should do during the three years of my degree. Voluntary work? Much appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Work experience in state schools is the most vital, and writing down at the time what you're getting out of your experiences
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swarfliam)
    Work experience in state schools is the most vital, and writing down at the time what you're getting out of your experiences
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    Hi guys,

Only about half, if that, of the people on my Primary PGCE had done education type degrees beforehand. There is a mix of everything. Your undergrad degree doesn't have to be linked to primary teaching (I did maths!), just as long as you still have the passion and put in the effort to find out a bit more.

And remember it's about knowing the ideas and theory of it, not knowing all the right things to do. They want potential to be a good teacher (which could be someone very experienced or not), not someone who thinks they already know everything who may have picked up bad habits!

xxx
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neskisan)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi

It's good that you're thinking about it in advance. Try and get as much experience in a primary school/with children as you can throughout your degree.

Does your uni have a volunteering department? Mine did and had links with schools and other projects and got me a volunteering placement at a school helping kids with their work and assisting the teacher.

Also extra curriculur activities such as Scouts/Guides and after school or sports clubs could be good places to volunteer at.

Just make sure that in your final year (in the 12 months before you apply for the PGCE) you have 10 days experience because most courses require you to have been in a primary school for 10 days in the 12 months prior to interview. Would be good if you could spend just a few hours each week in your final year.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louzilla)
    Are most people staying home to do their PGCEs? I'm wanting to move somewhere far away for a change but by the sounds of it most people are staying at home, am I missing something?
    Part of me wants to do the PGCE at my local uni because it means I'm more likely to get a job around here especially since it's Wales and the Welsh PGCE.

On the other hand I want to move back to the city where I went to uni and do it there, I wouldn't mind living there either. But I'm worried that if I ever want to return to Wales to teach I won't be able to if I've not done a PGCE through Welsh.

I don't want to live at home because it's cramped etc and can't imagine trying to study from this house - I would at least need a room in a house that was closer to the uni and easier to work from.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyGirl92)
    Part of me wants to do the PGCE at my local uni because it means I'm more likely to get a job around here especially since it's Wales and the Welsh PGCE.

On the other hand I want to move back to the city where I went to uni and do it there, I wouldn't mind living there either. But I'm worried that if I ever want to return to Wales to teach I won't be able to if I've not done a PGCE through Welsh.

I don't want to live at home because it's cramped etc and can't imagine trying to study from this house - I would at least need a room in a house that was closer to the uni and easier to work from.
    Plus if you did your PGCE in Wales you wouldn't need to the QTS tests and you'd still be able to work in England. It's a MAJOR advantage, seeing as they are making them harder too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    After attempting so many practice tests of the QTS tests and not getting very far I've just realised in Wales they do not need to be taken. I'm so relieved but does anyone know if we have to prepare anything for the interview stages? Presentations or anything like that?
    I'm trying to prepare myself because going into my third year in a few weeks time, I'd rather be organised than rushing at the last minute with a tonne of other stuff to do as well!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Think I've got my work experience sorted out *crosses fingers* Two weeks in an infant school, and volunteer work with Rainbow guides for the last year. Just need to get the CRB stuff done and finalise dates.

Does anyone know when we can start seeing details for 2014 course applications, or particularly the School Direct route? Everywhere I look still seems to have 2013 entry details. I want to find out more about Schools Direct, but it's rather hazy online.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had my first day of 'work experience' today as the headmaster put it.

Was in the key stage 1 class which had 19 children in. The whole class read Little Red Riding Hood first. I was helping Year 2 kids (there's only 4 of them) do a 'story map' about Little Red Riding Hood all morning, then they coloured it in in the afternoon and then watched a film for the last half an hour before home time.

Reception were mainly playing all day and Year 1 were doing a big story map of Little Red Riding Hood with the teacher.

It seemed very.. different. Even though I was only with Year 3 before, they seemed to be constantly doing work whereas there was a lot of play time in Key Stage 1. It felt a bit unorganised. I sometimes wonder how teachers manage because I was only helping 4 kids and that was challenging enough because 2 girls were really good at writing and could write whole sentences, but the 2 boys weren't very good at writing and were finding it difficult to write words.

I'm with the Key Stage 2 class all day tomorrow. Looking forward to it more because it's more learning and not playing! But it's good that I have seen what the younger children are like. I definitely think Key Stage 2/Upper Primary is best for me though because I loved being with year 3 kids before, and I found Key Stage 1 a bit boring to be honest.

I did get a lot of observation in though between helping so going to note all that down. I forgot how tiring it is as well!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 23, 2014
New on TSR

Get ready for SQA results day

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.