The Student Room Group

AQA FP1 Further Pure 1 17th May 2013 Official Thread

Can't seem to find a thread for this so I thought why not make one :colondollar:
Are we ready for Friday's exam? I personally hope the boundaries are going to be nothing like that of January 2013 :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How are you feeling about this exam? Do you think it will be harder?

I personally feel this paper will be much harder than January 13 with most parts tricky and maybe a new concept question. I think the hardest question I have done is the Jan 2009 Question 7 where it was linear interpolation on a different level.

I have manage to do all the papers so I don't know how else to practice. Maybe you can give some tips on revision.
Reply 2
I need help on question 6b on Jan 2007 paper MFP1

paper question.png
Reply 3
Original post by mathsRus
I need help on question 6b on Jan 2007 paper MFP1

paper question.png

For any integer n, 2n-1 will always be odd. Use this fact along with the earlier parts of the question to work out part (b).
Reply 4
Hey thanks for your response. I did that but still got the wrong answer. I did sum of 1 to 200 take away sum of 1 to 49 and the function was (2r-1)^2
Reply 5
Bit nervous, as I really want to do well. And the grade boundaries are always so high on fp. You need full raw marks to get full UMS most years. Unfortunately I agree, it is likely to be harder than Jan 2013, which is a shame as it was such a nice mock.
Reply 6
How are you feeling about this exam? Do you think it will be harder?

I personally feel this paper will be much harder than January 13 with most parts tricky and maybe a new concept question. I think the hardest question I have done is the Jan 2009 Question 7 where it was linear interpolation on a different level.

I have manage to do all the papers so I don't know how else to practice. Maybe you can give some tips on revision.

I have been doing some of the Edexcel Past Papers, they don't have quite the same syllabus but you can answer about half the questions. Don't know if this is a help?
Reply 7
Hey thanks for your response. I did that but still got the wrong answer. I did sum of 1 to 200 take away sum of 1 to 49 and the function was (2r-1)^2

Just saw this thread and saw what you wrote on the other one. For the sum of the square of the odd numbers from 100 to 200. Consider your first function

(2r-1)^2

You know 2r-1 will always produce an odd number, it just will. We can assume the all squared accounts for the square's of the odds. However we cant just calculate it from r=100 to n=200. Because the fuction is 2r-1.

If you want to start from r=100 then you're actually starting from 2(100)-1=199. Which is wrong

So you are looking for the boundaries to make your sum from. So...

(1). 2r-1=(Lowest odd in 100-200)

(2). 2r-1=(Highest odd in 100-200)

Remember when you calculate it, say if you had:

59x\displaystyle\sum_{5}^9 x = Sum(9)-Sum(4)

Hope that helps..

Spoiler

Reply 8
Original post by Europa192
I have been doing some of the Edexcel Past Papers, they don't have quite the same syllabus but you can answer about half the questions. Don't know if this is a help?

Thanks, I didn't think of doing Edexcel as I thought MEI was the hardest board but then found out they had a completely different syllabus
Reply 9
Original post by Phichi
Just saw this thread and saw what you wrote on the other one. For the sum of the square of the odd numbers from 100 to 200. Consider your first function

(2r-1)^2

You know 2r-1 will always produce an odd number, it just will. We can assume the all squared accounts for the square's of the odds. However we cant just calculate it from r=100 to n=200. Because the fuction is 2r-1.

If you want to start from r=100 then you're actually starting from 2(100)-1=199. Which is wrong

So you are looking for the boundaries to make your sum from. So...

(1). 2r-1=(Lowest odd in 100-200)

(2). 2r-1=(Highest odd in 100-200)

Remember when you calculate it, say if you had:

59x\displaystyle\sum_{5}^9 x = Sum(9)-Sum(4)

Hope that helps..

Spoiler

OOooooo! I had to stare at what you wrote but after a few minutes I figured it out. Thank you so much, you helped me understand the leftovers of the Summation Chapter. Do you know where else I can practice such types of questions rather than the book which is quite limited and has easy questions. :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
OOooooo! I had to stare at what you wrote but after a few minutes I figured it out. Thank you so much, you helped me understand the leftovers of the Summation Chapter. Do you know where else I can practice such types of questions rather than the book which is quite limited and has easy questions. :biggrin:

Past papers. There is no better way to learn for the exam than do questions that the people who will write your exam, wrote, haha :smile:
Reply 11
Hi,

i have created a video tutorial on fp1 Jan 2013 exam paper that you might want to check out. There are also some revision worksheets and video tutorial on MathedUp! website..
Reply 12
Original post by MathedUp!
Hi,

i have created a video tutorial on fp1 Jan 2013 exam paper that you might want to check out. There are also some revision worksheets and video tutorial on MathedUp! website..

Can you give the link please?
Reply 13
Also guys, I have done all the past papers and they seem to be good. Can you think of any hard questions that you have come across? and Which chapter question will be likely to come up for the hardest one?

I will BUMP this thread so more people can interact.

Thanks
Reply 14
I'm just worried I'll make silly but costly mistakes, because FP1 overall is quite easy - C1 level perhaps.

Also, could someone have a look at the very last question (8C) on the Jan 11 paper - I'm not sure what the mark scheme is asking for though it looks like trial and error.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by fizzbizz
I'm just worried I'll make silly but costly mistakes, because FP1 overall is quite easy - C1 level perhaps.

Also, could someone have a look at the very last question (8C) on the Jan 11 paper - I'm not sure what the mark scheme is asking for though it looks like trial and error.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually if you have a calculator which can do polynomials like the one I have Casio fx-991ES Plus. All you have to do is sub it in and it will get you a answer. Alternatively, yes it is trial and error because we can't use the Core 1 polynomial thing. Make that equation equal to 100,000 and try values of N. If you need any other help I am here.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it is trial and error, but you use the answer to part (a) to get the first guess.
Reply 17
So how was it? I myself found found the matrix for a stretch from T1 to T2 difficult, and the weird one where you had to show sin(pi/12) in terms of cosine :frown:
Apart from that, a decent paper
I'm thinking I've lost five marks at least
Reply 18
So how was it? I myself found found the matrix for a stretch from T1 to T2 difficult, and the weird one where you had to show sin(pi/12) in terms of cosine :frown:
Apart from that, a decent paper
I'm thinking I've lost five marks at least

The sine to cosine was really weird. I got there in the end, but I think there was a fair amount of "fudging" going on - I split the surd/fraction into two fractions, then dividing them both by the cos(pi/4), which I wouldn't have been able to do if they didn't give the answer, so I dunno if I'll get the marks for that one...

I think for the stretch in the matrix I got
[1 0]
[0 3]

Can anyone remember what quadratic they got for the ones with the roots?
Reply 19
But wasn't that triangle flipped in a line too?

Yeah I got 9x^2+108x+72=0 I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending