The Student Room Group

Real men don't cry

Discuss.
I think this is BS.
Grief is very good reason to cry, crying for the loss of a loved one. Tears of joy's another.
What do you think?

More controversially, is it ever OK to cry for yourself? I consider myself fortunate but I'm a sensitive soul and cry sometimes, very occasionally, when overwhelmed, not so much with stress but conflicting emotions. I've had a lot to think about on top of deadlines this week and it all came gshing out. Despite what I say I still feel less of a man for having a sensitive side and am ashamed of this. But there'sno shame on the Internet so I'm wondering what people think about it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Everybody's human so it's okay to cry whether male or female. When I'm really stressed or something serious has happened I cry and I'm a really strong, sort of cold - hearted person.
Original post by Riku
Discuss.
I think this is BS.
Grief is very good reason to cry, crying for the loss of a loved one. Tears of joy's another.
What do you think?

More controversially, is it ever OK to cry for yourself? I consider myself fortunate but I'm a sensitive soul and cry sometimes, very occasionally, when overwhelmed, not so much with stress but conflicting emotions. I've had a lot to think about on top of deadlines this week and it all came gshing out. Despite what I say I still feel less of a man for having a sensitive side and am ashamed of this. But there'sno shame on the Internet so I'm wondering what people think about it?

There's no shame on the Internet? Perhaps you haven't come across the Anonymous option on TSR (though I find that rather unlikely).
Who ever perpetuates this is stupid. Crying is a completely natural thing to do (so long as it isn't at every little thing).
Reply 4
lol..

If think any man, should his wife/gf or a close relative die, would cry. If not, either he is excellent at hiding emotion or he's a sociopath.

That said, I think excessive crying shows poor coping skills, so it can be a weakness (and sign of poor mental health also).
Reply 5
Isn't it ironic how "Real men don't cry" is used when a man is actually crying?
Reply 6
OK so most people are saying it's OK but not when in excess. Where do you draw the line?
Reply 7
Original post by Emre944
Isn't it ironic how "Real men don't cry" is used when a man is actually crying?

Huh
Reply 8
Original post by Riku
OK so most people are saying it's OK but not when in excess. Where do you draw the line?

There is no line to be drawn. :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by Riku

It depends on what you're crying for. The motivation pretty much is the demarcation.
Original post by Riku
Discuss.
I think this is BS.
What do you think?

Man up..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
My Dad never cries, not even when his Dad died or his brother. When he watched I am Sam however, he got teary. Lol.

Nah I think some men, particularly of an older generation believe crying is a weakness therefore they either don't do it, very rarely do it (aka grief or severe pain w/e) or they do it in private.

I personally don't agree with "real men don't cry". Cry all you want, your only human.
I cried at my best friend's funeral. Does this mean I'm not a real man?
Yeah I dont think this is true either, just the idea of strong masculinity which society expects, makes it harder for men to show their emotions without being ridiculed or laughed at etc
Reply 14
Original post by Raeesah123
Huh

Hint:Has the phrase "Real man don't cry" have any credibility left to it since it's commonly used in a situation where a man is crying?
Original post by Insert_username
I cried at my best friend's funeral. Does this mean I'm not a real man?

What this guy said.

Crying doesn't say anything about masculinity.
Reply 16
would MS Dhoni ever cry (if you know who he is)?
Reply 17
Original post by Emre944
Hint:Has the phrase "Real man don't cry" have any credibility left to it since it's commonly used in a situation where a man is crying?

It never had any credibility to it.
My fiancé is the manliest, most macho alpha male kinda guy I know, he cries occasionally. He is a manager so is used to things like stress which no longer bother him, but he has a cry every few months if something happens (quite a bit of cancer and illness in the family) I Love it when he cries (obviously not when it's something serious) I get to be the one offering support. Reminds me that he's just human and he has weaknesses and can feel emotions (I doubt that one sometimes :tongue:)

I think he had teary eyes on Friday after an industrial accident in which a telehandler truck crushed his foot, extremely unbelievable lucky that he still has his foot, and he got a bit emotional when he went into shock.

Real men are the ones who accept and embrace that emotions are not a weakness.

So yes, total BS.
Reply 19
Original post by rlw31
It never had any credibility to it.

That's what I was implying. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest