The Student Room Group

What if you have no clue what so ever

The title says it all, i have no clue... i will be doing my UCAS next year but how am i going to apply for a university if i have no clue what course or career i want! I do

-chemistry
-geography
-maths
-french

for As and i'm going to drop french in A2. Yet those subjects look good alone alone the combination of those are horrible!!! help please!
Reply 1
Don't worry, your subjects are fine! If you don't have a specific career path in mind, it's probably best to go for a non-vocational course - do you like any of your subjects in particular?
Reply 2
I didn't decide on Chemistry until the summer I applied, you don't need to be worried. Just look around in your spare time - research courses, see what you can apply for with those subjects (and which subjects don't have specific requirements). If you still don't know, you can always take a year out to be fully sure.
What do you enjoy? What do you find stimulating and something that you would want to look at in detail? Everyone has a different way of finding what they want to do. For example my friend has always been fascinated by electricity so is going to read electrical engineering, whilst I stumbled on medicine with work experience and loved it, so am going to read medicine :smile:

Take your time and do not rush into a choice. If needs be take a gap year - it's hardly frowned upon and tbh shows a mature approach, rather than a knee-jerk 'I need to go to university, no idea what for... oh I'll just study this degree' (which to be fair is extremely rare but still).

You will find what you want to do :yep:
Reply 4
I know what i don't like. I cant see myself doing the same thing over and over again. For example a teacher or doctor which basically do the same thing during their whole lives. I need something which involves doing more things.

Hmm for something i really enjoy is strategy, my father talked to me about a strategy-adviser for business for example. Where you get to.. adivise! plan the strategy, the correct approach! (Geography links very well here) Or simply i've played too many strategy videogames which i'm frankly addicted to since i was a kid.

Videogames. Movies. Being mature here, these are growing industries, im neither an ICT man or a writter, but anything to do with these will involve making movies/videogames which can fluctuate from fantasy to futuristic or war or any topic from the world, which really calls to my attention, as i said earlier, i dont think doing the same thing my whole life will be fascinating for me.

Where as for a gap year.. definately, although im afraid i won't decide by the either!

Any sugestions with this being said?
One good way to start is to simply pick up a few University prospectuses and read some course descriptions. Which ones interest you, which ones make you just turn the page? Why? Do you want to do a 'straight' subject (Geography, Maths) or something more vocational (Law, Business & Finance)?

Dont forget to look at joint subjects (you can do lots of intersting combinations), and courses with unfamiliar titles like Development Studies, Demography, Social Anthropology, Environmental Studies, Social Policy, Forensic Science, Criminology, American Studies etc. Think about if you want a course with a Year Abroad (could include Australia or USA...) or including a work placement.

Go to some Open Days. They dont have to be Unis you think you might apply to, any local ones will do initially. This will give you an idea of what 'being at Uni' is all about, and how its different from school. Seeing what certain Departments 'do' can also help you focus on a subject.

And, dont forget, you dont have to go to Uni straight from school. If you really arent sure, wait a year or so - the Unis will all still be there. Also, look at www.notgoingtouni.com for idea about alternative pathways, Gap Year ideas etc.
Reply 6
that combination screams Earth sciences to me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending