The Student Room Group

Higher Biology 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by john51
Does anyone know the answer to the question that was like 'name the process by which plants remove salt?'

I'm fairly sure it was just 'active transport'
what was the last answer on the speciation one ? like "how can you tell speciation has occured"
Reply 62
I said active transport and then said how the mitochondrion shows aerobic respiration occurs which provides an abundance of ATP which allows active transport to occur as it's an energy requiring process...
Reply 63
I put active transport but then i got confused on the next bit when it started asking about mitochondria. the first question of section b was easy though
Original post by john51
I put active transport but then i got confused on the next bit when it started asking about mitochondria. the first question of section b was easy though

exactly what i done haha!
What the actual f**k was the meiosis question with the 'fill in the homologous chromosomes', I just put R's a B's on random bits, should have just left it blank. Essays were good, but for the first one - photosynthetic pigments and light dependent stage - how can you get 6 marks for describing water splitting? Was restraining myself from just writing out the calvin cycle as well.
Reply 66
Original post by lovechemistry
what was the last answer on the speciation one ? like "how can you tell speciation has occured"

I said because the sub-populations were unable to freely interbreed to produce fertile offspring...complete guess though!

Breeds to produce infertile offspring or cannot breed, I think.
Reply 68

I just said that the groups had been separated to different parts of the island which would have different enviroments and therefore different selective pressures.

Ah, I think I got that one! When they interbreed they will not produce fertile young as there are now to different gene pools
Reply 70
For the question about hummingbirds and why they have a higher body mass in summer I was like there is more nectar... then I said produced by bees instead of flowers hahah idiot :[
I hated the question about birds migrating...
Reply 72
What was the reason for the timings of the yeast, like why was it left for the times said?
Original post by john51

Think the mitochondria bit was to allow extensive respiration, so that there is enough ATP to absorb all the salty water against the gradient.
Original post by CSM1996
For the question about hummingbirds and why they have a higher body mass in summer I was like there is more nectar... then I said produced by bees instead of flowers hahah idiot :[

Think it was so that they have enough body mass to survive migration, where they might not have a chance to feed regularly.
Reply 75
Original post by Antony1234
I said because the sub-populations were unable to freely interbreed to produce fertile offspring...complete guess though!

I put something like 'they'd be unable to breed to produce fertile offspring' pretty sure it's right!
Reply 76
Bigger bidy mass in summer as there is increased food availability. simple as that.
Reply 77
Original post by Brianthewalrus
Think it was so that they have enough body mass to survive migration, where they might not have a chance to feed regularly.

Might be that but they migrate in Spring as well after Winter (well obviously) and in Winter they had a really low body mass? Idk I've completely messed up that question.

P.s. see if you didn't write "root hair cell" but then you wrote large surface area for the cell thing you wrote, would you get the mark?
Reply 78
Original post by john51
Bigger bidy mass in summer as there is increased food availability. simple as that.

Wonder if i will lose a mark for saying bees haha :[
Reply 79
Original post by john51

I said higher temperature so more prey? so more food so increased mass. Or something like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending