The Student Room Group

Importance of F.Maths for CompSci at a good Uni.

Hi,

I am currently taking 4 A-Levels: Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology with the intention of going on to do computer science at Uni.

I am also thinking of taking an AS in F.Maths in Year 13, while dropping Biology.

I was wondering if this would be less desirable when applying to Unis such as Cambridge, Imperial and so forth, compared to taking 4 complete A-Levels.

If it's relevant, I am predicted As for all of my AS grades.

Thanks in advance.
Here at Oxford our standard offer for straight CompSci is A*AA with at least an A in Maths. The A* has to be in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing. We only make offers based on three A Levels, but we'd notice if you'd done more. AAAA wouldn't for example be seen as equivalent to A*AA.

In terms of subject choice, Maths is essential. We strongly recommend Further Maths as the best preparation for one of our courses. We also suggest a science subject such as Physics. (Chemistry and Biology are perfectly acceptable, but they can only be used towards the AA bit of the conditional offer. Physics can be used for the A* bit too.)

Not all schools offer Further Maths so it's not a requirements, but it really does help. As I'm sure you're aware Computing is a very mathematical subject. We aren't looking for students with any specific knowledge of computing, (we do of course look for a genuine interest in the subject) but we are looking for students with a proven flair for Maths. The application process (MAT test and interviews) is very maths-orientated. If you can't take a full A Level in Further Maths, an AS is better than nothing. But a full A Level in Further Maths would be likely to make your application more competitive.

Hope that helps.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Further maths has definitely been useful in my degree, really, happy i took it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending