The Student Room Group

Changing down when braking

I should just say i've already passed.

So when I come to a junction I will slow down and if it's clear coast round the corner with my foot over the brake, then bring the clutch up when I need to accelerate.

I know it's not how you should do it, but I can't remember how I was taught in my lessons.

I've tried going down into second and bringing the clutch up whilst i'm braking, but it doesn't really work. The only way I can do it is by braking earlier, change down and bring the clutch up whilst moving slowly, then accelerate into the turning. But doing this means I am slowing down too early and have to travel up to the turning really slowly?

Can someone tell me how they were taught? I've forgotten :colondollar:
Well if you plan well enough then you can just reduce the gas, clutch down and if it seems clear stay in 2 if you cannot then 1 and creep).
Reply 2
No one changes down when they brake.

Basically just brake and before you come to a stop press the clutch to stop the car stalling. THEN switch into 1st gear if completely stopped. Gears are only to pull the car, you can cruise n whatever gear you like.

If you do take a roundabout change down to 2/3 actually, cos you need to pull the car round the bend (turning is a form of acceleration).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by advice_guru
No one changes down when they brake.

Basically just brake and before you come to a stop press the clutch to stop the car stalling. THEN switch into 1st gear if completely stopped. Gears are only to pull the car, you can cruise n whatever gear you like.

If you do take a roundabout change down to 2/3 actually, cos you need to pull the car round the bend (turning is a form of acceleration).

Maybe i'm not being clear...

I'm coming along a 40mph road and I want to turn left into a junction. At the moment, I brake, clutch down into 2nd, coast around the corner and bring the clutch up during the corner, when I need to accelerate.

Should I slow right down in the road, change to 2nd them accel round the corner?
Reply 4
Original post by Runninground

I'm coming along a 40mph road and I want to turn left into a junction. At the moment, I brake, clutch down into 2nd, coast around the corner and bring the clutch up during the corner, when I need to accelerate.

Should I slow right down in the road, change to 2nd them accel round the corner?

Yes. You will have more control over the car and better acceleration out of the corner.
Reply 5

Never change clutch when turning, its a pain really.
Prepare for the bend, you should be in 2nd gear before the bend. So you should brake, then as you hit 20-30 mph, shift into 2nd. Then take the bend in 2nd gear and as you leave the bend, apply the gas and then shift into 3rd once you are clear of the bend.
Reply 6
Original post by advice_guru
Never change clutch when turning, its a pain really.
Prepare for the bend, you should be in 2nd gear before the bend. So you should brake, then as you hit 20-30 mph, shift into 2nd. Then take the bend in 2nd gear and as you leave the bend, apply the gas and then shift into 3rd once you are clear of the bend.

Hmm ok. I'll try it next time I go out aha.
Reply 7

So when I come to a junction I will slow down and if it's clear coast round the corner with my foot over the brake, then bring the clutch up when I need to accelerate.

I know it's not how you should do it, but I can't remember how I was taught in my lessons.

I've tried going down into second and bringing the clutch up whilst i'm braking, but it doesn't really work. The only way I can do it is by braking earlier, change down and bring the clutch up whilst moving slowly, then accelerate into the turning. But doing this means I am slowing down too early and have to travel up to the turning really slowly?

i have the same problem as you! When learning to drive I was told to brake and go into second gear and bring the clutch up before turning the corner which was fine in my instructors car. In my car however as the engine is smaller it is very difficult for me o slow the car enough that it will want to be in second for the corner so I tend to slow down and go into second and leave the clutch down and coast around the corner and the lif the clutch and accelerate once around the corner. This may give less control but it allows my car to run much smoother! The trick is working out what is best for your car! Hope this might help! :smile:
Reply 8

Yes.

You do not have full control of the vehicle if you go into the corner coasting.

I feel exactly the same as you, I hate turning into side roads because of this. Whenever I'm driving at, say, 30-40mph and I want to turn left, I find it really awkward and difficult to slow down well in advance and shift into second gear because I feel like I'm braking way too early and the drivers behind get annoyed and think wtf is this guy doing. I don't know how people manage to approach a side road so quickly, slow down at the last moment, and turn into the road when driving a manual. It all happens too quickly. Don't have this issue when driving in slow traffic, but only when travelling at a relatively 'fast' speed on a main road and slowing down to turn into a side road. I try and avoid coasting because of the lack of control of the car.

I've never had this issue with my instructor's car, so maybe it's my car or perhaps just me? Would also appreciate some advice. :biggrin:
Original post by Swizzel
i have the same problem as you! When learning to drive I was told to brake and go into second gear and bring the clutch up before turning the corner which was fine in my instructors car. In my car however as the engine is smaller it is very difficult for me o slow the car enough that it will want to be in second for the corner so I tend to slow down and go into second and leave the clutch down and coast around the corner and the lif the clutch and accelerate once around the corner. This may give less control but it allows my car to run much smoother! The trick is working out what is best for your car! Hope this might help! :smile:

Yeah, my car will only go into 2nd (without sounding like i've just slammed the gas while in neutral) when i'm going pretty slow.

Original post by TheMuppet
Yes.

You do not have full control of the vehicle if you go into the corner coasting.

How do I have less control?

Original post by Hustler-1337
I feel exactly the same as you, I hate turning into side roads because of this. Whenever I'm driving at, say, 30-40mph and I want to turn left, I find it really awkward and difficult to slow down well in advance and shift into second gear because I feel like I'm braking way too early and the drivers behind get annoyed and think wtf is this guy doing. I don't know how people manage to approach a side road so quickly, slow down at the last moment, and turn into the road when driving a manual. It all happens too quickly. Don't have this issue when driving in slow traffic, but only when travelling at a relatively 'fast' speed on a main road and slowing down to turn into a side road. I try and avoid coasting because of the lack of control of the car.

I've never had this issue with my instructor's car, so maybe it's my car or perhaps just me? Would also appreciate some advice. :biggrin:

Yeah, I know what you mean about the other drivers lol. I find it much easier to coast around whilst over the brake, then bring the clutch up when I need to accelerate. It lets me do it much quicker without having to slow right down in the middle of a 40mph dual carriageway :colondollar:
Reply 11
You have less control when coasting because its harder to slow down and steer when the clutch is down. That's how many accidents happen.

Go and practice without coasting and you'll feel the difference! :smile:

I used to coast every single driving lesson I had and now I don't! (Well...sometimes..)
(edited 10 years ago)

Yes you should be slowing down gradually and then clutch down into second. Not into the speed where first is a requirement (unless its busy or unfamiliar) but you dont want to lash the car round a blind corner.

Coasting was an issue for me as well at first - but relearn your technique and you will be fine

You don't need to necessarily gear down to 2nd, although it is safer. It depends on the bend. Some bends are approachable on third.

Sometimes, it could be a speed issue on the approach. I'm not very good at stating distances, but I would just say you shouldn't be flying along as you near the bend. Slow right down to around 20-25mph. This way, you can just gradually brake towards the corner and make your decision - stop or gear down to carry on if it's safe to go - in the appropriate speed.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: And I just remembered, when you let your clutch up on gear changes, do it slowly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Brake only to the speed required - fully engage gear option - steer = Brake gear steer

There may be some situations where engaging the gear whilst nearing the end of the braking might be needed - example going down steep hill and needing to turn left with another too close behind - these cases are rare because earlier braking will control the one behind

The reason that the gear is engaged after the braking has finished is so the vehicle is better balanced and the driver only has to do one thing at a time, not two
Selecting 1st gear whilst braking is often an advantage at give way situations but as that is done under 10 mph it is not likely to cause any issues

Those that say they are unable to separate the braking and gear selection are generally drivers who do not plan well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending