The Student Room Group

Can I possibly get into Imperial?

I am currently in Year 12. I'd like to go to Imperial College London, as it's my dream University and I always wanted to go there. The course I would like to do at Imperial is Computer Science. Through my research it seems that their Entry Requirment for this course is A*AA. I think I can achieve this through handwork. However, what I am concerned about is are my GCSE's.
They're pretty much below standard.
My GCSE's are - ABBBBCCD and PASS

I find it very concerning that I was forced to do BTEC Science and gave up on it, came out with a pass. Since Imperial College looks at GCSE grades I was wondering if it's impossible for me to get there even if I achieved the requirement grades as my GCSE's are very low and didn't quire the correct qualification for Science.

However, I already know of six programming languages which I would be learning at University. Would it still be possible for me to get in?
Reply 1
Sounds as though you're really into programming... if you do loads of extra-curricular stuff related to academic things like the Informatics & Maths Olympiads (http://www.olympiad.org.uk/ & www.bmoc.maths.org/home/bmo.shtml‎) AND you get straight As in your AS exams, that'll make a killer UCAS application and they'll most probably overlook your GCSE grades... Those are pretty grim grades though for Imperial, any extenuating circumstances that might explain them? it will also help a lot with your application if there are any.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Omg, really? Are you sure?
And yh I'm really into programming. Besides from programming I can edit using softwares like Adobe After Effects, Sony Vegas and Adobe Photoshop. In sports wise, I played for my school football and cricket team. Got into all-London trial for Ball Boys during year 9 but didn't get any further. I know like one instrument to play but that's all apart from competing for Satachi Art Gallery.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Well what I meant by academic related extra-curricular stuff is like programming or maths competitions / projects you've done, rather than sports stuff (they seem not to care so much about those things, although it's always good to play for teams). Anyway it is possible, but you will need to get brilliant AS grades to make them start to forget about your GCSEs... I know someone who got a D in AS physics (and a couple of Bs & Cs at GCSE) but still managed to get no less than two offers for medicine.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
I did have Chicken Pox during the examination time, but I prefer to not make any excuses for any grades that I tend I get. After all it's based on yours efforts. But yh, I understand thought I would still not be in with the chance even if I received those grades..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
But no I have not competed in any academic challenges wish I had, but sadly no. Couldn't find any to begin with and as for Maths Challenge back at GCSE I was too low.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
In your UCAS application, a significant chuck is completed by your school (teacher references etc. ), so if it was a major issue it would be wise to bring it up with them when applying next term as they'll add notes in (and it won't seem as though you're complaining unnecessarily if your school agrees with you)
Extra curricular stuff really does help, but it can only do so much for you. In the end a placement at some software company can't substitute for a C in a subject where you needed an A in if you see what I mean.
Reply 8
If I was in your situation, the one thing that you could do to make things hugely better is to try and do STEP I this year (http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/our-services/subject-specific/step/about-step/), it's a really hard maths (and sometimes computer science) admissions test Cambridge, Warwick regularly use, and Imperial occasionally uses it (usually in cases like yours when track record with grades is creaky),- computer science admissions really focuses on mathematical thinking ability (as not many people have past programming experience) so a good grade (2 and above) in STEP would really convince them you're a serious applicant.

But it's a really difficult exam (~60% is very good) and it's a bit late to start preparing now (late entry to sit the exam this summer is May 24th though and the exam is right at the end of the year on June 25th!).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Shido
I am currently in Year 12. I'd like to go to Imperial College London, as it's my dream University and I always wanted to go there. The course I would like to do at Imperial is Computer Science. Through my research it seems that their Entry Requirment for this course is A*AA. I think I can achieve this through handwork. However, what I am concerned about is are my GCSE's.
They're pretty much below standard.
My GCSE's are - ABBBBCCD and PASS

I find it very concerning that I was forced to do BTEC Science and gave up on it, came out with a pass. Since Imperial College looks at GCSE grades I was wondering if it's impossible for me to get there even if I achieved the requirement grades as my GCSE's are very low and didn't quire the correct qualification for Science.

However, I already know of six programming languages which I would be learning at University. Would it still be possible for me to get in?

Make the best application you can make, if not successful you have the option of taking a gap year and re-apply after achieving the required grades.
Reply 10
Yes, I understand. Thanks a lot for letting me know, I have C2 and two ICT exams left. I'll retake this year if it didn't go well. As I really want to go to Imperial. I'll also speak to my teachers about this when it comes up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending