The Student Room Group

Equivalency exam

Hi.

I am about to book an equivalency exam (biology). Are they easy to book?
How did people find them? Need biology c grade. Feel quite anxious

if you don't get the grade can you rebook straight away??

thanks for any info

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Sangria
Hi.

I am about to book an equivalency exam (biology). Are they easy to book?
How did people find them? Need biology c grade. Feel quite anxious

if you don't get the grade can you rebook straight away??

thanks for any info

Hey! I am in the exact same boat - but doing mine in around six weeks. I also feel VERY nervous about it. Have you sat yours yet??
Reply 2
Original post by b.fisher
Hey! I am in the exact same boat - but doing mine in around six weeks. I also feel VERY nervous about it. Have you sat yours yet??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3

Hi I done it today was given the higher biology paper 2 hours. Quite a few questions required longer answers. Actually run out of time my writing at the end was terrible! Felt sure I was resitting. Received a phone call at 5pm I passed 79% got a B. believe me I started crying with relief.

Have you booked yet? When you do look at the syllabus list they send you and follow that. I kept revising the usual,stuff cells adaptations etc. if you keep,at it you will be fine. Biology is def not my strong point. Best of luck let me know how it goes. who are you doing it with?

Reply 4
Aw well done you! I bet the was a huge relief?? Is this for teacher training? Where are you going to do that?

I need my Science equivalence to take up my place at Brighton to do Upper primary... I HAVE to pass!

i have been revising non stop, and will continue to do so. I'm going to book mine for the 19th July, so I can keep cramming in as much revision. They sent me the syllabus and I've bee working my way through it.

was the exam itself harder than you thought it was going to be? They did send me a mock exam which, when I first saw it, freaked me out slightly.

:P will let you know how it goes.... :smile:

Ben
Reply 5
Also, mine is through equivalency testing.
Reply 6
Also, mine is through equivalency testing.

Hi
No the man said that for some reason many were finding it easier this year than previous years. I crammed all my revision in 8 weeks was finishing off my degree
Trying to do it all!! Teacher training schools,direct in between two boroughs at the moment thurrock and newham.

Just relax and I think your be fine. Don't know why I spent so much time on the first part. A bit of maths comes up too. I have already taken the gcse biology this year and have second part on 13th July. Decided to do this as couldn't wait until22nd August for result!
Angela
Reply 7
Ah. Thank you :smile: I'm hoping it'll be fine. To be honest, I'm doing non stop revision so I hope I'll be okay. I only need a C equivalent to start my training so fingers crossed. I feel like an expert on cells and photosynthesis right now :P

well done again on passing. Is your teacher training for a year? Are you doing primary or secondary?
Reply 8
My training is in primary. I have worked in secondary running a behaviour unit. Primary is totally different and new to me. Been in this school for one year. Is yours primary?

Know what you mean about the cells etc feel the same. Just focus on one question at a time. Don't look through the paper it may put you off. I tried to answer all questions even if I was unsure but knew vaguely. Put in some technical language. You never know I or 2 marks could mean all the difference.

Congratulations for passing!

my biology exam is on Friday and I'm really struggling. I feel like I know a lot until I look at past papers and what I'm confident on isn't there!!!!

Are there any particular topics you can recommend really nailing in my revision for my last 3 days before the exam?

Thank you!
Reply 10
Hi
I went thought the revision papers they sent. But also focused on the syllabus they sent through. I think you will find it fairly straightforward. Its the obvious ones. They did say that most people had found it firmly easy this year!!!

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your reply, I seem to be struggling to apply the revision information to the questions in the past test papers. I know the facts but the questions are making me panic because it's hard to apply knowledge when the answer needs to be so specific to a particular experiment.. Did you find this a problem or is it just me!!?
Reply 12
Original post by StephHydePark
Thanks for your reply, I seem to be struggling to apply the revision information to the questions in the past test papers. I know the facts but the questions are making me panic because it's hard to apply knowledge when the answer needs to be so specific to a particular experiment.. Did you find this a problem or is it just me!!?

What's crazy is that you have written how I am feeling word for word!!

I feel like I have revised everything I can, yet when I look at past exam papers... Not great.

im booking mine for 19th July, I'm just praying I can keep revising and retain something useful. Let me know how you get on?

Ben
I can answer the bitesize test questions no problem. I know the facts! I'm terrified about my exam on Friday.. All I can do is keep going with the revision but I feel like it's not enough... My retention skills are struggling with the amount that is on the syllabus..

Not going to lie.. I'm so nervous about it I could cry!!!!

knowing you feel the same is reassuring though Ben!
Reply 14
Hi all.
I went through their answers and wrote the answers down on the practice paper ( if that makes sense). If it makes you feel any better I never fully remembered the experiment ones too. Don't panic too much about this. Also I had not revised some of what came up but it was actually common sense. Please believe me when I say that science is def not my thing and truly believed I would fail.
Stay calm and write something down no matter how vague!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks Sangria!

I'm not quite sure what you meant by -
I went through their answers and wrote the answers down on the practice paper ( if that makes sense).

I'm hoping the knowledge I have so far (that will hopefully stay in my brain until Friday) will help me to answer the tricky/vague questions... And yes I plan on writing something for everything.

What I seem to be finding tricky is that WHAT I KNOW is stated as part of the long winded question, therefore leaving me with nothing to write for the answer!!

I keep telling myself that if I passed my Numeracy Skills Test, which I was adamant I would fail, then I can do this!!!!

Drives me crazy how much there is to learn and 70% won't be on the test or needed in as much detail as we need to revise it in!

Thank you for the advise.

Ben how are you getting on with your revision?!

Sangria, have you found out which school you'll be at for your Schools Direct? Are you doing the salaried route?
Reply 16
Original post by StephHydePark
Thanks Sangria!

I'm not quite sure what you meant by -
I went through their answers and wrote the answers down on the practice paper ( if that makes sense).

Ben how are you getting on with your revision?!

Sangria, have you found out which school you'll be at for your Schools Direct? Are you doing the salaried route?

Snap. They sent me the previous exam, but no answers. Would you recommend focusing on this previous one?

Hi steph. Meh. I'm still full of a cold and really not feeling it but today is another day I will spend going through the syllabus.

Thes a chap on YouTube who does these really brilliant lesson videos. Type in "mygcsescience" and then, for example, "control in plants."
It's a great way to recap all the information.

How are you feeling now?

Again, so funny - I've been telling myself the same thing regarding the numeracy test!! :smile:
Reply 17
I've given a copy of the equivalencytesting past paper to my partner (who is a pharmacy student so pretty Sciency) and there are a few questions that have stumped him!

I'm wondering whether the test on the day is less specific than this previous one, which has nothing on cells, photosynthesis, hormones or adaptations... All the things I've revised!

Is the actual test a bit broader and covers all of these? X
I wish we knew..... I'm scared!!! I've spent all day at work dreading having to go home and carry on revising!

Yes I've been using MyGcseScience videos! They're great!! I wish I could borrow his brain for 2 hours for my exam.. I'd do anything in the world to pass this exam on Friday and have it over with!!!
Ben this really helped me too - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwPTPUZrAdU Nitrogen Cycle Video.

I've got almost full marks in all of the GCSE bitesize tests... why can't the equivalency test be multiple choice?!

RE your comment about the past papers specific questions.. I think this years will be the same. (meaning we will be learning 75% of this stuff and not be asked about it!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending