The Student Room Group

What do applicants portfolios look like if applying for Slade or Ruskin for Fine Art?

What is the quality expected,
What quality gets you in?

If anyone could send me their portfolio I would be really interested :smile:
?Please I am really curious? Any portfolios which got into Oxford?
Awww man,
I will never know.

Is there rules about it or something, because I do find it hard to find people's portfolios. How do people know if it is worth them even attempting to apply?
Reply 3
Hi there,

I noticed that you've had a hard time getting any responses on this post and thought that i could shed some light.
As someone that recently applied to Slade i can tell you that they set their standards pretty high. And will only take on people who they believe to be tenacious in their method.

I think it goes unsaid that any tutor selecting applicants for any Art degree will want to see a certain level of proficiency and imagination in their chosen medium. As these qualities tend to be indicative of discipline and interest.

You'll find that generally people are reluctant to publish porfolios online for various reasons, i can imagine that the copyright issue is a major deterrent for people.

Have you checked out their website/events section?
They publish images from their annual degree show annually.

I don't want to babble too much. If you have any questions feel free to ask!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Constance-B
Hi there,

I noticed that you've had a hard time getting any responses on this post and thought that i could shed some light.
As someone that recently applied to Slade i can tell you that they set their standards pretty high. And will only take on people who they believe to be tenacious in their method.

I think it goes unsaid that any tutor selecting applicants for any Art degree will want to see a certain level of proficiency and imagination in their chosen medium. As these qualities tend to be indicative of discipline and interest.

You'll find that generally people are reluctant to publish porfolios online for various reasons, i can imagine that the copyright issue is a major deterrent for people.

Have you checked out their website/events section?
They publish images from their annual degree show annually.

I don't want to babble too much. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

The only portfolio I have found is this,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/70167756@N08/

What are high standards?
One thing I have noticed is the different between art exam boards for A-level and that some play stronger to innovation and others to technique mastery.
So I guess it is a given that you achieve an A* regardless?

So this means it is down to a portfolio, will this mean they prefer you from certain foundation course places?

What does high standard look like?
To one it can be of pure technical achievement where methods are mastered in precise and perhaps traditional ways.
Others could be particular strong amounts of conceptual experimentation.

It would be nice to see a variety of successful portfolios as I can imagine I could see what the level is.

At the moment I have no idea.

I don't really see much students work away from my art class and I dunno what is expected...

thank you for the response :smile: I appreciate it!
Reply 5
It's one of the holy grails of art courses for sure, so their standards are really high.

That being said, their BA degree show, which was held in May for some reason, was absolutely terrible. Very low quality of work. It was kinda strange, especially given its reputation.
Original post by Nonel
It's one of the holy grails of art courses for sure, so their standards are really high.

That being said, their BA degree show, which was held in May for some reason, was absolutely terrible. Very low quality of work. It was kinda strange, especially given its reputation.

do you perhaps know a link where I can look at the degree show?
Reply 7
Original post by LittleMissNoface
do you perhaps know a link where I can look at the degree show?

Sure:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/slade/degree2013/

Make sure you scroll down to the BA section, the MA seems to have a show on at the moment so they're at the top.

The website's weird, the work it shows for each person isn't necessarily the work shown in the show for some reason. A lot of the work shown there is a lot better than the stuff they exhibited. Even so, you can get a good idea of the quality expected at the end of the course.

I'll also say that they seem to have a strong disposition towards painting.
Reply 8
Yes, i would definitely agree that it is down to your portfolio. The consensus is that you can be good at whatever you do regardless of your academic achievements or lack of. Although Mathematics and English Language at Level 3 are mandatory qualifications.

I would say that any institution that selects their prospective students on the basis of where they are from are the ones that are likely stifle any learning that will be truly beneficial to any individual.
And for an Art college to do that would definitely limit the chance for innovative, heuristic learning to take place among a year group.

The degree show website may be helpful in showing you perhaps work that you might be interested in. However i would advise you to take it with a pinch of salt. If you are applying for a place on the undergraduate course your portfolio will not be expected to look as polished.

I hope this is helpful to you.
Yes, i would definitely agree that it is down to your portfolio. The consensus is that you can be good at whatever you do regardless of your academic achievements or lack of. Although Mathematics and English Language at Level 3 are mandatory qualifications.

I would say that any institution that selects their prospective students on the basis of where they are from are the ones that are likely stifle any learning that will be truly beneficial to any individual.
And for an Art college to do that would definitely limit the chance for innovative, heuristic learning to take place among a year group.

The degree show website may be helpful in showing you perhaps work that you might be interested in. However i would advise you to take it with a pinch of salt. If you are applying for a place on the undergraduate course your portfolio will not be expected to look as polished.

Does anyone have the level at which you should be when applying?
As it is a degree course then you will be expected to have completed your GCSE's.
And also A-Levels or equivalent
As it is a degree course then you will be expected to have completed your GCSE's.
And also A-Levels or equivalent

Within a portfolio what level should the work be at,
As in what does the standard of work look like?

What do you mean by Level 3? Level 3 National Curriculum is at age 14. My daughter applied for The Ruskin two years ago and Mathematics was not required at GCSE but you need to check an up-to-date prospectus.
She didn't even get an interview and there was no feedback apart from 'your portfolio contained some interesting things.' My husband spoke to one of the tutors when he went to collect her portfolio and got the distinct impression that they don't like traditional styles. My daughter's work is very traditional and she especially likes drawing and painting with oils. If that's what you like, Oxford probably isn't the place for you.

Quick Reply

Latest