The Student Room Group

All AQA iGCSE Sciences (summer 2013) discussion

Hi guys,
just thought I would make a thread including all the sciences for AQA iGCSE so we can discuss pre or post exams and evaluate difficulties of exams and rough estimations of grade boundaries and mark schemes. Thanks- good luck
:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What other hard questions on biology?
Reply 2
Hard questions I felt were decay, bacteria/potato trend and eutrophication
Reply 3
Eutrophication was just recall? What about on the skin cancer , what do you reckon will be the mark scheme for two graph questions
Original post by Nerd44
Eutrophication was just recall? What about on the skin cancer , what do you reckon will be the mark scheme for two graph questions

I wrote a massive essay for both of those questions but i think all you had to do was describe the trends in the graph, give a few examples from points on the graph, notice the trend between going on holiday and people with the melanoma, and for the explain why question just say that people tend to go on holiday to places with sun, and if they aren't wearing sun cream they'll be more susceptible to penetration from uv light which could trigger fast division of skin cells, causing the melanoma
I completely messed up the melanoma skin cancer one, I had to re-write it like, three times -.- I missed out chemical diffusion at synapses on the CNS question too

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did everyone else write for the potato one? I said it was to do with enzymes but I don't actually know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by matchstickhouses
I completely messed up the melanoma skin cancer one, I had to re-write it like, three times -.- I missed out chemical diffusion at synapses on the CNS question too

Posted from TSR Mobile

i wouldn't worry, it'll lose you max 1 mark :smile:
Original post by matchstickhouses
What did everyone else write for the potato one? I said it was to do with enzymes but I don't actually know

Posted from TSR Mobile

i believe i wrote something about the microorganism ingesting some of the potato so it could break it down into nutrients, and to do this it has to respire, so the process of respiration release carbon dioxide which contains carbon which is necessary for carbohydrates, but i think i got it wrong...
Reply 9
Original post by Hamish_wells
Hi guys,
just thought I would make a thread including all the sciences for AQA iGCSE so we can discuss pre or post exams and evaluate difficulties of exams and rough estimations of grade boundaries and mark schemes. Thanks- good luck
:smile:

what is arough grade for b
Reply 10
Ive definitely got mixed feelings about this one... Exam technique always seems to trip me up but no one knows what will happen a it's the first year! Good luck in chemistry what do you guys think will come up? There's so much to learn...
apparently the 6 mark question wasn't about eutrophication because it was a flowing stream? :s-smilie:SS

also did you guys get 37.5% for the percentage change of MRSA?
Original post by King Amukee
apparently the 6 mark question wasn't about eutrophication because it was a flowing stream? :s-smilie:SS

also did you guys get 37.5% for the percentage change of MRSA?

cant eutrophication also happern in small streams though
Original post by richardsondpu
cant eutrophication also happern in small streams though

That's what I'm hoping, or it's six marks down the drain xD
nah wikipedia said it can happen in streams
That's what I'm hoping, or it's six marks down the drain xD

There's nothing else on the syllabus that the question could have been relating to, and it talks about the effects on plants and invertebrates, so it had to be :smile:
plus first year so low grade boundary
you reckon 80% for a*?
you reckon 80% for a*?

possibly lower, according to our teacher

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending