The Student Room Group

Sunbeds - confused!!

I want to start going on sunbeds but I'ma bit confised about a couple of things:

1. What do you wear when you're actually on the sunbed?

2. Do you have to put suncream on before you go?

I know they're really dumb questions but I really would appreciate some answers! Thanks xxx

Scroll to see replies

1) Whatever you want - I usually go in with just my pants on so I can see if it's having any effect but you can go in naked if you want.

2) No but moisturise, moisturise, moisturise afterwards
Reply 2
-Emmz-
1) Whatever you want - I usually go in with just my pants on so I can see if it's having any effect but you can go in naked if you want.

2) No but moisturise, moisturise, moisturise afterwards

Rep for you :smile: I'm going on one later today but I'm relly nervous! Is it best to start off with just 2 minutes? My skin is quite pale btw.
Reply 3
I used to just keep my underwear on (ie knickers!) when I used to use them.
And you can get special creams that you put on to make you tan faster and make the result last longer, if you go to a salon they will normally be able to give you some samples to try.

Two minutes sounds about fine but if you are really pale then they might recommend that you dont use them at all, are you going to a salon? If yes, you will probably have to fill out a questionnaire about your skin type etc so they can evaluate that information and tell you how long you should use it for. If you arent going to a salon, make sure you use the sunbed sparingly and leave it a few days before going on again.
Reply 4
adverse_reaction
I used to just keep my underwear on (ie knickers!) when I used to use them.
And you can get special creams that you put on to make you tan faster and make the result last longer, if you go to a salon they will normally be able to give you some samples to try.

Two minutes sounds about fine but if you are really pale then they might recommend that you dont use them at all, are you going to a salon? If yes, you will probably have to fill out a questionnaire about your skin type etc so they can evaluate that information and tell you how long you should use it for. If you arent going to a salon, make sure you use the sunbed sparingly and leave it a few days before going on again.

Yeh there's a salon near where I live so I'm heading along later. Those creams sound good, I'll ask about them. I'm not extremely pale, I do tan but it takes a while! Thanks for your help xx
Reply 5
ergh. final destination 3.

all i#m saying!
Do not go on sunbeds (well you can if you want but...) they are the prime suspect for skin cancer and premature ageing. Do you wanna look 80 when your actually 40?? If you do use one go infrequently and for short times.
Reply 7
I'd definitely wear pants of some kind - you don't know who else has been using them and whether the last person cleaned it! I tend to wear bikini bottoms so that when I go on holiday and tan I get the same lines.

You won't need suncream, but I'd exfoliate before you go on - there's no point spending money to tan skin cells that are going to flake off soon! And as someone else said - moisturise well afterwards.

With regard to how long you go on for, it will depend on the intensity of the tubes. You can get some a lot stronger than others. Just explain to the person at the salon that it's your first time going on and she will tell you what time you should be going on for by looking at your skin tone and asking whether you burn easily.

Try not to go on too often though - you know all the health risks :smile:
Reply 8
dude, you could get trapped and burn!

don't go! don't go!!
Reply 9
squirly
I'd definitely wear pants of some kind - you don't know who else has been using them and whether the last person cleaned it! I tend to wear bikini bottoms so that when I go on holiday and tan I get the same lines.

You won't need suncream, but I'd exfoliate before you go on - there's no point spending money to tan skin cells that are going to flake off soon! And as someone else said - moisturise well afterwards.

With regard to how long you go on for, it will depend on the intensity of the tubes. You can get some a lot stronger than others. Just explain to the person at the salon that it's your first time going on and she will tell you what time you should be going on for by looking at your skin tone and asking whether you burn easily.

Try not to go on too often though - you know all the health risks :smile:

It's just for summer - I'm not going on holiday and haven't been on a sunny holiday for the past 2 summers. It's not like I'm going to go for 30 mins every day :p: I used to burn easily but not so much any more now I think about it, and it's nice to have a bit of colour rather than being a milk-bottle all the way through the summer!
Reply 10
Ahh yes, I don't blame you! I'm probably going to have a couple of sessions before I go on holiday - I don't want to be the pale new arrival!
Reply 11
For those who are interested :p: I've just been, and it wasn't bad at all - I haven't burnt and there are definately a few more freckles making an appearence which was the aim! Time to moisturise and then back to revision :biggrin:
Another person has mentioned it! What is this fricking thing people keep referring to by saying fd3?!

Btw theres more chance of the sunbed actually flying into space than you getting trapped inside it.

Go to The Tanning Shop, they have the best beds. Use the stand-up one. I had a session today and I look like a godess. There's always Botox in later life. And it'll be more widely used by the time we need it.
Reply 13
justbrowsing
Another person has mentioned it! What is this fricking thing people keep referring to by saying fd3?!

Btw theres more chance of the sunbed actually flying into space than you getting trapped inside it.

Go to The Tanning Shop, they have the best beds. Use the stand-up one. I had a session today and I look like a godess. There's always Botox in later life. And it'll be more widely used by the time we need it.

LOL!! Hopefully I won't need to go down the botox route just yet...

Yeh I used an upright bed thingy, can't say if it was amazing or not because I've only used it once and I'm not one of those lucky people who tan instantly! Hopefully after a few more sessions I'll be able to see a bigger difference and will be nice and brown (well "normal" colour for everyone else!).
omg you should totally post before and after pictures!!!

How many sessions do people think I need to get a goodbase tan before I go on hol? I tan pretty easily
Reply 15
-x-buttercup-x-
omg you should totally post before and after pictures!!!

How many sessions do people think I need to get a goodbase tan before I go on hol? I tan pretty easily

Dude you'll need shades or you'll get snow-blindness!! I want to be tanned enough to get away with wearing this totally amazing pair of shorts I've seen in Warehouse, and also to not be mistaken for Silas from the Da Vinci Code :biggrin:

Maybe you could have a few sessions a couple of weeks before your holiday just to get a base to prevent you burning so easily?
Reply 16
Thats complete rubbish.

I just go naked, and you have to stand like abit of a **** to get the inside of your legs/arms done too :p: Luckily nobody else sees you.
Reply 17
Is not rubbish at all, UV is one of the top five carcinogens.
But i guess like most things you gotta do it quite alot for it to have a really bad affect!

I'm just going to risk the streaks from bottled tan :P
Reply 18
I think that its a personal choice whether or not people want to use sunbeds so I think we should respect that.

I am going on hol next week and will probably use one a few times before I go. I have type 3 skin and always tan easily so its not like I am milk bottle white.

As long as you use them moderately and dont overdo it, you should be fine.
twiga
Rep for you :smile: I'm going on one later today but I'm relly nervous! Is it best to start off with just 2 minutes? My skin is quite pale btw.

That's okay! How many minutes did you go for?
I've only just started going for myself so I've got a bit of a tan for a ball and I'm already looking browner :smile:

As for the cancer thing - practically EVERYTHING gives you cancer.

Quick Reply

Latest