The Student Room Group

Rape victim Jailed!

I can't believe such stupidity still exists in this world. Cultural differences could not be used even as a sympathetic explanation for such a horrendous code of law.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/12/alicia-gali-raped-uae-jailed_n_3263593.html?utm_hp_ref=world

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUM3pTwp6xY

Scroll to see replies

Yep, it's terrible.
I think more should be done to warn people who are thinking of going to these countries.

Why there is such a strong movement to boycott Israeli goods, but no large movements to boycott business to countries like the UAE and Saudi Arabia is beyond me.
Reply 3
OP apparently haven't read the Titus by Shakespeare (I advise to watch it's adaptation as well- really great one).
Well, from the other hand- things like this
[video="youtube;KKoIWr47Jtk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKoIWr47Jtk[/video]
would not happen there :wink:
Reply 4
Read the title and thought '£100 says it's the Middle East.'

Things like this are why I totally reject the argument that no culture or system can be called superior to another as some would have you believe.
Reply 5
Welcome to justice in gulf states.

One has to be very careful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
A statement given by Starwood Hotels to Yahoo 7 News said the hotel "worked diligently on Ms. Gali's behalf" and that the men involved in the crime were prosecuted and served prison terms.

Ms Gali claims that she was offered no instruction from the hotel on the legality of consuming alcohol nor on what the consequences would be for reporting a sexual assault under those circumstances. http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...r-in-rape-case

She (and the the men as well) were prosecuted for drinking Alcohol, which serves a maximum 1 year imprisonment. In other words, it's highly unlikely she was jailed for "being raped" or "fornicating". It may be that the judge disregarded her story of being raped (which we don't really know for sure, whether the judge investigated or not), but I think the reason for the jailing is pretty clear.

If there was no evidence that any form of rape did occur, then no prosecution for the alleged accusation can be made. This is the same in western courts as well, even though, it's not quite full proof - False rape claims 'devastating' say wrongly accused

And finally, the UAE does punish people that rape women, in fact, they're given the the death penalty;
[h="1"]Businessman given death penalty for rape[/h]
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Steevee

Things like this are why I totally reject the argument that no culture or system can be called superior to another as some would have you believe.

oh but it's just a minority most of them don't think that way the rest of them want to move hear to experience British culture and integrate Islam with British society there not going to segregate themselves and ignore the British culture and language or anything like that.:rolleyes:
Reply 8
Original post by Shabalala
oh but it's just a minority most of them don't think that way the rest of them want to move hear to experience British culture and integrate Islam with British society there not going to segregate themselves and ignore the British culture and language or anything like that.:rolleyes:

And what point did I make any claim like that? :facepalm2:
Original post by Steevee

I think the argument shouldn't be superiority, but whether there is an inherent problem in the culture. I think that there is, that the police are concentrating not on the rape, but on the alcohol and sex (which was without consent), because their religious customs forbid it.

The article states that the men were also prosecuted, but jailing the victim is inexcusable.
Reply 10
religion of peace, justice and compassion.

so the BBC told me.

In fact, I think I can top that. Christian man setenced to 300 lashings and 6 years in prison for helping Muslim girl convert from Islam, which is a crime in tolerant Islam.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/05/13/saudi-man-gets-300-lashes-6-years-for-helping-woman-convert-to-christianity/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by ThatPerson
I think the argument shouldn't be superiority, but whether there is an inherent problem in the culture. I think that there is, that the police are concentrating not on the rape, but on the alcohol and sex (which was without consent), because their religious customs forbid it.

The article states that the men were also prosecuted, but jailing the victim is inexcusable.

I disagree, a secular political and judicial system is superior to a religious one, because a religious one will inherently be discriminatory.

The men were prosecuted for the same as the woman, drinking alcohol, not for what appears to have been a planned drugging and violent rape.
Reply 12
Original post by DeluxeJ
religion of peace, justice and compassion.

Original post by DeluxeJ

so the BBC told me.

Where may I ask?
Original post by DeluxeJ

In fact, I think I can top that. Christian man setenced to 300 lashings and 6 years in prison for helping Muslim girl convert from Islam, which is a crime in tolerant Islam.

Proselytizing is illegal in Saudi Arabia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Steevee
And what point did I make any claim like that? :facepalm2:

I was being sarcastic that's the response the liberal left wing like to spout everytime.
Original post by Shabalala
I was being sarcastic that's the response the liberal left wing like to spout everytime.

All our political parties are 'liberal' parties...
*Looks at religion law is based on*

Oh that explains it then, isn't it?
Original post by Steevee
I disagree, a secular political and judicial system is superior to a religious one, because a religious one will inherently be discriminatory.
Agree this would be ideal but at the end of the day people have different morals on what is right/wrong & religion is closely tied to that. I might not be religious myself but other people are.
Reply 17
We must respect laws of other countries or we're racist.
Original post by Al-Mudaari
She (and the the men as well) were prosecuted for drinking Alcohol, which serves a maximum 1 year imprisonment. In other words, it's highly unlikely she was jailed for "being raped" or "fornicating". It may be that the judge disregarded her story of being raped (which we don't really know for sure, whether the judge investigated or not), but I think the reason for the jailing is pretty clear.

If there was no evidence that any form of rape did occur, then no prosecution for the alleged accusation can be made. This is the same in western courts as well, even though, it's not quite full proof - False rape claims 'devastating' say wrongly accused

And finally, the UAE does punish people that rape women, in fact, they're given the the death penalty;
Businessman given death penalty for rape

So why is there a bar in the Hotel, I presume it is selling alcohol?
Reply 19
Original post by Farm_Ecology
I think more should be done to warn people who are thinking of going to these countries.

Why there is such a strong movement to boycott Israeli goods, but no large movements to boycott business to countries like the UAE and Saudi Arabia is beyond me.

Because Israel are just as guilty of crimes against humanity and the UAE + Saudi Arabia are strongly allied with the US so their cultural differences are acceptable, whereas Iran's aren't because they hate the US. Simple politics, doesn't mean that people don't care about it though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending