The Student Room Group

Being done for plaguarism

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this.

I had a piece of coursework to hand in and copied and pasted some stuff from someone else's work. Stupid I know.

I haven't actually been accused of plagiarism yet but I'm having trouble sleeping. i have a horrible feeling I'm going to get caught.

My big worry is not getting caught. I will admit to cheating and just explain my reason (too much pressure etc) admit that it is wrong and face the consequences and stay well away from ever doing anything like this again.

My big worry is what sort of consequences would I face.

I plagiarized a massive chunk of someone else's assignment.

It was only a small assignment worth 15% of the module and Im a second year. I have a clean record until now, high grades, and have secured an excellent position with a company for industrial placement.

I would have been better off not handing anything in :frown:

My question is, if I do get caught, what sort of punishment would I face?

Also, it was a paper submission, how likely is it they will put it through the machine to test for cheating?

I just dont want to ruin everything, get kicked off my course etc due to one stupid decision.

I know other people have posted with this problem previously, what sort of punishment did they end up with?
Reply 1
Original post by jonny_b_good

I had a piece of coursework to hand in and copied and pasted some stuff from someone else's work. Stupid I know.

I haven't actually been accused of plagiarism yet but I'm having trouble sleeping. i have a horrible feeling I'm going to get caught.

My big worry is not getting caught. I will admit to cheating and just explain my reason (too much pressure etc) admit that it is wrong and face the consequences and stay well away from ever doing anything like this again.

It was only a small assignment worth 15% of the module and Im a second year. I have a clean record until now, high grades, and have secured an excellent position with a company for industrial placement.

Also, it was a paper submission, how likely is it they will put it through the machine to test for cheating?

I just dont want to ruin everything, get kicked off my course etc due to one stupid decision.

I know other people have posted with this problem previously, what sort of punishment did they end up with?

Say that they copied you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
You'll probably get pulled for a disciplinary in front of the Board of Examiners and Head of Department, get a right *******ing, and be awarded either zero or fail the whole module.

They will probably not kick you out for a first offence.

They probably won't scan it if it's a paper copy - just hope that the same person doesn't mark both of the similar projects and learn your lesson from this!
Reply 3
Lay-Z lol nah i couldn't do this I would feel really guilty.

I wouldn't worry about failing that module and redoing it. I would be relieved if that was all I got. I'm worried about them failing me for the whole year or something.

In what circumstances do they resort to these heavy handed tactics as the rules stipulate they sometimes do this and some times even worse.

Blatant copy and paste is a pretty major violation so I'm worried that because its worse form of plagiarism they may come down hard on me for it.

Anyone know of people in a similar situation and what did they get for it?
Reply 4
Lay-Z lol nah i couldn't do this I would feel really guilty.

I wouldn't worry about failing that module and redoing it. I would be relieved if that was all I got. I'm worried about them failing me for the whole year or something.

In what circumstances do they resort to these heavy handed tactics as the rules stipulate they sometimes do this and some times even worse.

Blatant copy and paste is a pretty major violation so I'm worried that because its worse form of plagiarism they may come down hard on me for it.

Anyone know of people in a similar situation and what did they get for it?

Don't get me wrong - major **** will go down if you're caught. A lot will depend on the attitude of your uni and your department.

The only experience of plagerism I've experienced was when a couple of people started doing the weekly summative problems together (each week worth 0.5% of the module) - the head of the Board of Examiners interupted one of our lectures and basically shouted at them in front of everyone for 10 minutes. They had all problems since the start of the year discounted, which was only four or five - so not too major.

They threatened to do the same again if anyone was caught, as well as sending our college an Academic Progress Notice (essentially a black mark on our permenent record, you get kicked out if you get 2 or 3 in your time at uni)

Other than that it has just been the usual "insufficient referencing -5%" or "don't use wikipedia" which has been treated as inadvertent plagarism and sanctioned only academically - not disciplinary.

Obviously your plagarism is a lot more serious than that but I would be very surprised if they kicked you out. If you're caught, I'd expect a couple of formal meetings and probably to fail the module.

Forgive my spelling, I'm knackered.

There isn't much you can do but hope and pray they don't scan it in.
Reply 5
If they fail the module with option to redo with a 40% cap I will be relieved. What are the chances of anything worse these? E.g. total fail of module, total fail of whole years module, or expulsion?

I know a lot of students come here with my problems so wondered if a general picture has built up by now of what happens when you are caught for plagiarism.

Dear God I swear i will live a good life from now on if you get me out of this mess :-(

One of my friends copied me in a project worth 20% in the module. They just gave him 0 for the project and that was it. I can almost guarantee you that you will be fine as it is just an assignment worth part of the module. You will probably just get 0 for that particular assignment. It wont even show up on your records. Be aware though if you do this again on something like a dissertation you will be kicked out, also don't let anyone else see the work of you dissertation as them copying you could lead to you getting kicked out as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending