The Student Room Group

Single independent students - where to put income?

I'm an independent student (25) and I'm trying to apply for funding via the paper form.

When reading the guidelines, it's saying that I don't need to write in my own income anywhere on the form. It's just telling me to sign the declaration and send it off. Do they check with HMRC, as I'm the one applying for funding, so they have my NI number etc?

It states if I have a partner that they should fill out the household part, but I don't have one (my boyfriend and I don't live together).

Any help from fellow independent students would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Thanks in advance.
To the best of my knowledge, they will check your income with HMRC, using your passport and NI number. Your partner is not relevant to your application, as you both do not live together.
Reply 2
Hi there,

I think they do check with HMRC as on you P60 at the end of tax years there is a student loan deduction section so the HMRC obviously link this.

I supplied pay slips and a p60 for the past year 2012-2013 just to speed the process up and they photocopied/sent me them back a week or so after posting my application for student finance.

Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by croft523
Hi there,

I think they do check with HMRC as on you P60 at the end of tax years there is a student loan deduction section so the HMRC obviously link this.

I supplied pay slips and a p60 for the past year 2012-2013 just to speed the process up and they photocopied/sent me them back a week or so after posting my application for student finance.

Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is a very good point. If you can send in your P60, it will speed up your application, as they will not need to check with HMRC, which takes SFE around 21 days to do, due to HMRC only releasing details to SFE, on a Wednesday.
Reply 4
Thanks! I'll definitely send off my P60 for that tax year then!
Reply 5
The reason they don't ask for your income is because they don't need to know it. Why would they? You can earn what you like when you're studying, so your income from this year or last year has no relevance whatsoever.

The only reason they ever need to know the students income is unearned income (which it does ask about on the form-i.e. interest from savings etc) or if you are providing evidence to be considered independent after supporting yourself for 3 years if you're under 25. If you're over 25, you're automatically considered independent so that's not relevant to you.

So you don't need to send off anything else except the form. :smile:
Reply 6
Sounds like it should save you some hassle.

Being U25 and independent for the past +3 years I had to send everything off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending