The Student Room Group

Low testosterone in a 20-year old man

Is this normal? :/

Scroll to see replies

If it were normal it wouldn't be low and would be average.
Reply 2
Original post by cambio wechsel
If it were normal it wouldn't be low and would be average.

:P
OK I'll rephrase. Why would this be happening?
Original post by Riku
:P
OK I'll rephrase. Why would this be happening?

I dunno buddy. But you're in no position to self-diagnose low levels of a hormone. Are you only extrapolating from lassitude or reduced sex drive? Could be any number of things if so. Go to the doctor.
Reply 4
Original post by cambio wechsel
I dunno buddy. But you're in no position to self-diagnose low levels of a hormone. Are you only extrapolating from lassitude or reduced sex drive? Could be any number of things if so. Go to the doctor.

guess not, Fair enough, thanks :smile:
I've always wondering if winning at a game/sport boosts your testosterone levels. Try it.
Reply 6
Get tested and if it is low they will treat you. If they show you a chart with an acceptable test level that has a huge range and you're near the bottom and they refuse to treat you...self medicate! Just do lots and lots of research...maybe see what the doses are for HRT and then add a bit more and you should be good to go around there.
Reply 7
Original post by McHumpy92
Get tested and if it is low they will treat you. If they show you a chart with an acceptable test level that has a huge range and you're near the bottom and they refuse to treat you...self medicate!

Or get a private prescription if you have the coin - might be easier to get supervision.
Unfortunately TSR cannot condone advising people to take AAS.
Reply 9
You can fix low T by lifestyle and diet changes if it's not too low.

First find out if you actually have low T though!
How do you know it's low, have you actually been tested?
inb4 OP has never been tested; assumes he has low test due to poor diet/training and reading about it on the internet.
Reply 12
If it's not low then tell me why I'd find it hard to get it up :rolleyes:

Got tested 2 years ago, was normal then, but stress constantly lowerinmg it
I would highly recommend against self medicating.

Firstly if you have symptoms which you think indicate a low testosterone (whatever they may be), it could in fact be a symptom of something dangerous that you really should get checked out.

Secondly, human hormones are a carefully balanced system. An experienced doctor will be able to provide medication which they can monitor through regular testing. If you self medicate not only have you no experience, but you cannot get accurate blood tests, meaning you're flying blind. A quick read online indicates that testosterone supplements may have rather unflattering effects on your genitals. Are you sure you want to risk it?
Reply 14
Original post by Riku

Maybe you should google for that rather than low T.
Original post by Riku

I can't because that's not what you posted about so you haven't given any sort of a history. Why don't you make a thread about your symptoms rather jumping to a most probable wrong answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Riku

What? What do you mean you find it hard to "get it up", get what up exactly?

If you were tested 2 years ago and had normal levels there is no reason to suggest it's any different now. Yes stress can have an effect, but I would imagine not to the extent where it's lowering it below normal levels. You're only assuming it's low when most likely it isn't.

If you are really interested, apparently there are ways you can boost test naturally through a high protein and high fat diet, but it takes a lot of effort and it wont increase your test level significantly. Plus it's not worth it if you are below 25 anyway because at this point in your life your test levels will be higher than they will ever be.

A good diet and a proper lifting regime is all you need.

EDIT: sorry I meant to say "plus cycling isn't worth it if....."
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 3 Phase Duck
What? What do you mean you find it hard to "get it up", get what up exactly?

If you were tested 2 years ago and had normal levels there is no reason to suggest it's any different now. Yes stress can have an effect, but I would imagine not to the extent where it's lowering it below normal levels. You're only assuming it's low when most likely it isn't.

If you are really interested, apparently there are ways you can boost test naturally through a high protein and high fat diet, but it takes a lot of effort and it wont increase your test level significantly. Plus it's not worth it if you are below 25 anyway because at this point in your life your test levels will be higher than they will ever be.

That's irrelevant since more test always = more gains, though I doubt the difference between a terrible life style and perfect life style (with regards to hormone production) will result in much more than a factor of 2's difference in testosterone output (not that that isn't significant, but bear in mind even a fairly basic test cycle (from what I've read) involves injecting 7-10 times what the average man produces naturally).
Original post by In One Ear
That's irrelevant since more test always = more gains, though I doubt the difference between a terrible life style and perfect life style (with regards to hormone production) will result in much more than a factor of 2's difference in testosterone output (not that that isn't significant, but bear in mind even a fairly basic test cycle (from what I've read) involves injecting 7-10 times what the average man produces naturally).

What's irrelevant, him being under 25? I think it is relevant, because there is no need to go to the extreme of going on anabolics when they already have a suffice amount of test in their system to make good gains anyway. Especially if you haven't even been lifitng for that long. The amount of guys I know that have went on anabolics and basically made the same gains they would have if they had just ate right and lifted properly. I'm by no means against anabolics, but it should only be used when you actually need it i.e. after a significant amount of years lifitng. A guy that has a lean mass weight of around 10-15 stone and is under 30 will be able to make the same gains in a relatively decent time without going on a test cycle.

Quick Reply

Latest