The Student Room Group

Should I ask my seminar tutor out?

I'm quite a confident girl when it comes to asking men out, normally I wouldn't hesitate, however due to him being my seminar tutor I feel I should ask.

Anyway, he's a young guy, phd student. He has the best sense of humour and from things he has dropped into classes about himself I think we have a lot in common. I've done a bit of a stalk and I'm pretty sure he's single.

If I try and view it from a seminar tutor's pov, I don't really see anything wrong with it. Unis (well mine at least) don't have any regulations saying you're not allowed to date students. Anyway, my seminars have finished now so I guess I'm not really his student.

I just don't know how I'd go about it if I did, or even if I should? :dontknow:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If there are no rules against it and he won't get in trouble then go for it.
Reply 2
Original post by eliza.anne
If there are no rules against it and he won't get in trouble then go for it.

I don't think there are any rules, so I guess he wouldn't get in trouble for it, no.

Hmm, what to say though. I'd have to e-mail him as I won't see him in person again now.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I don't think there are any rules, so I guess he wouldn't get in trouble for it, no.

Hmm, what to say though. I'd have to e-mail him as I won't see him in person again now.

Obviously from a guys point of view - if you want to ask him out - don't frame him as your tutor - he'll decline obviously. However, if you were to find him in a bar, e.g. by coincidence - go for it! :colondollar:
Reply 4
Original post by pig8
Obviously from a guys point of view - if you want to ask him out - don't frame him as your tutor - he'll decline obviously. However, if you were to find him in a bar, e.g. by coincidence - go for it! :colondollar:

It's highly unlikely I will bump into him in a bar haha, he doesn't live in my uni city. So I shouldn't e-mail him? Too teachery/studenty weird?
Reply 5
Well that's not going to freak him out....
Reply 6
It's highly unlikely I will bump into him in a bar haha, he doesn't live in my uni city. So I shouldn't e-mail him? Too teachery/studenty weird?

Play it cool as much as possible.

Find out where he usually goes after class - and trip into him. He'll likely be flattered if you ask anyway.

A friend of mine (21) is going out with his tutor (28) - it's perfectly cool.
Reply 7
Original post by yothi5
Well that's not going to freak him out....

Why?
Reply 8
Original post by pig8
Play it cool as much as possible.

Find out where he usually goes after class - and trip into him. He'll likely be flattered if you ask anyway.

A friend of mine (21) is going out with his tutor (28) - it's perfectly cool.

Ha, not stalkerish at all, but I get your drift. Much more casual. May try and bump into him somehow yeah...
Reply 9
If you want to, go for it. But do you think you may have him again next year? It's a possibility right? Could you face seeing him after being rejected, or having broken up in a seminar if you had him again?
Reply 10
Like you said he's a student not a actual staff member so you should go for it if you can force some kind of encounter from it. Just ask him out for a drink and let the sparks fly, he can teach everything you need to know too :biggrin:
Reply 11
I'm quite a confident girl when it comes to asking men out, normally I wouldn't hesitate, however due to him being my seminar tutor I feel I should ask.

Anyway, he's a young guy, phd student. He has the best sense of humour and from things he has dropped into classes about himself I think we have a lot in common. I've done a bit of a stalk and I'm pretty sure he's single.

If I try and view it from a seminar tutor's pov, I don't really see anything wrong with it. Unis (well mine at least) don't have any regulations saying you're not allowed to date students. Anyway, my seminars have finished now so I guess I'm not really his student.

I just don't know how I'd go about it if I did, or even if I should? :dontknow:

I dont think any guy likes girls who throw themselves at them, as you obviously like doing often
Reply 12
Why?

Imagine you in his position: getting a random email from a girl (younger student) in his seminar class who is asking him out on a date when he's probably struggling to remember your name and face.
Reply 13
Original post by beckaroo7
If you want to, go for it. But do you think you may have him again next year? It's a possibility right? Could you face seeing him after being rejected, or having broken up in a seminar if you had him again?

Nah it's not. We don't have phd students teaching us in third year, only lecturers, and I've chosen my modules which are nothing like his area. But I see what you mean. If I thought that was the case I wouldn't bother at all.
Original post by hskjlclcn
Like you said he's a student not a actual staff member so you should go for it if you can force some kind of encounter from it. Just ask him out for a drink and let the sparks fly, he can teach everything you need to know too :biggrin:

Haha smoooooth, I like it. I have a friend who is a phd student and he always jokes about if the girls fancy him, and he has said he wouldn't find it that weird and would consider it.
Original post by DimaTae
I dont think any guy likes girls who throw themselves at them, as you obviously like doing often

I don't understand men, always saying they want women to make the first moves but then you say that. I don't 'throw myself' at men. If I am interested in a guy I might ask them out for a drink. I'm not shy, is all. What is wrong with that?
Original post by yothi5
Imagine you in his position: getting a random email from a girl (younger student) in his seminar class who is asking him out on a date when he's probably struggling to remember your name and face.

Yeah I am going off the e-mail idea swiftly, I'll give you that. He would know my name and face, we only have a small group so he knows us all quite well. I dunno, I guess some men could find it weird, others could be quite flattered about would consider.Depends what he is like I guess.
Nah it's not. We don't have phd students teaching us in third year, only lecturers, and I've chosen my modules which are nothing like his area. But I see what you mean. If I thought that was the case I wouldn't bother at all.

Sounds like you should go for it then :wink:
it might be a bit odd but hey, what have you got to loose? Nothing

and think what you could possible gain :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by DimaTae

What in the name of actual god are you talking about?
Dont think theres anything wrong with it, even if he was still your tutor. Ask him out, like you said its unlikely you'll bump into him again so you wont have to have the embrarrasment of seeing him everyday if he rejects you, you have a lot to gain if he says yes!
Go for it; the pros outweigh the cons by a fair margin :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending