The Student Room Group

Politics and IR or PPE?

I've got a few questions so if any of you could answer any of them then that would be infinitely helpful.

Ok, so firstly, I'm doing my A2's and plan on going to the University of Manchester in September for Politics and IR, but the more I've been thinking about it, the more I believe that PPE would be more beneficial to me in the long run, is PPE better than Politics and IR or does it not really matter? I love Politics, Economics and IR but I'm not sure which course would be useful in the job market.

Secondly, is it possible to even switch courses this late in the day, I mean the entry requirements are both AAB, which I should get and I don't need Maths at A Level to do the PPE course. Will I need to write a whole new personal statement, or is it possible to switch courses?

Lastly, as atm I can't decide what job I'd like to go into, but either something to do with Politics or banking/finance, would it be worth switching to PPE and is Manchester wll respected by employers for PPE, obviously not as good as Oxford, but just on general.

I know this is a lot but any advice you could give me would be useful. I love IR, but some IR modules are covered in PPE anyway which has got me thinking because I'd really like to do Economics and definitely wouldn't mind Philosophy either.

Thanks a lot!
Reply 1
Original post by Superunknown17
I've got a few questions so if any of you could answer any of them then that would be infinitely helpful.

Ok, so firstly, I'm doing my A2's and plan on going to the University of Manchester in September for Politics and IR, but the more I've been thinking about it, the more I believe that PPE would be more beneficial to me in the long run, is PPE better than Politics and IR or does it not really matter? I love Politics, Economics and IR but I'm not sure which course would be useful in the job market.

Secondly, is it possible to even switch courses this late in the day, I mean the entry requirements are both AAB, which I should get and I don't need Maths at A Level to do the PPE course. Will I need to write a whole new personal statement, or is it possible to switch courses?

Lastly, as atm I can't decide what job I'd like to go into, but either something to do with Politics or banking/finance, would it be worth switching to PPE and is Manchester wll respected by employers for PPE, obviously not as good as Oxford, but just on general.

I know this is a lot but any advice you could give me would be useful. I love IR, but some IR modules are covered in PPE anyway which has got me thinking because I'd really like to do Economics and definitely wouldn't mind Philosophy either.

Thanks a lot!

I honestly dont think there is a difference in terms of employabilty between Pol/ IR and PPE (and I'm not trying to be biased or anything as I'm doing an IR degree. What matters more is getting a 2:1 at least and getting work experience. So I'd go for the course you prefer the most.

Switching will depend on if there are places available, you need to contact the admissions for Politics at Manchester.
Original post by jelly1000
I honestly dont think there is a difference in terms of employabilty between Pol/ IR and PPE (and I'm not trying to be biased or anything as I'm doing an IR degree. What matters more is getting a 2:1 at least and getting work experience. So I'd go for the course you prefer the most.

Switching will depend on if there are places available, you need to contact the admissions for Politics at Manchester.

Thanks a lot, set my mind at rest a bit. I love the look of IR but I really do wanna do Economics at uni and the Politics side does cover IR to an extent so I think I'd be happy with that.

Thanks, I've contacted Manchester, hopefully they'll respond tomorrow.
Reply 3
When I was looking at PPE courses I seem to remember that on the Manchester open day they said that they ran two economics courses in first year - one for those with maths and one for those with out, so hopefully you won't have too many problems switching. Good Luck!

Thanks a lot!

What are you looking to do after you leave University? It really comes down to that to be honest.
Original post by H_Aple
What are you looking to do after you leave University? It really comes down to that to be honest.

I'm pretty open about what I could do, I mean I'd love to go into banking and finance, NGO's, think tanks, I haven't got a set idea of what I want to do yet.
I'm pretty open about what I could do, I mean I'd love to go into banking and finance, NGO's, think tanks, I haven't got a set idea of what I want to do yet.

id go for PPE then. IR really is only for people who want to do something involving politics on an international level I think. For the stuff your looking at doing, PPE would definetly be better- more job oppurtunities too. I don't think you can get into banking with an International Relations degree..
Reply 7
Original post by H_Aple
id go for PPE then. IR really is only for people who want to do something involving politics on an international level I think. For the stuff your looking at doing, PPE would definetly be better- more job oppurtunities too. I don't think you can get into banking with an International Relations degree..

IR is one of those degrees that can be used for any general graduate positions that just want a degree. Or quite a few people go onto to do law conversions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending