The Student Room Group

Missing an exam with extenuating circumstances

What happends if you miss an exam with extenuating circumstaces and you have a sick note on the day - do you get a pass in the module?

Anyone had this happen, what was the result?

Edit - its a university exam
(edited 10 years ago)
it really depends, youll have to speak to your exam officer at your college/school
but i do know that before an exam, your teacher will have to fill in this form saying what grade you're working on at the moment (so theyll look at marks you get from your homework and tests)
so if you dont do the paper due to the 'extenuating circumstance' usually this grade set by the teacher is put forward instead...

:smile:

edit: why the negs? I'm just trying to help as much as I can
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
It depends. If you were to go in on the day and say you were sick then you'd most likely be accompanied by an invigilator until you feel better to insure you don't have a relative elsewhere, finished the exam, and feeding you the questions after they've finished.

The best thing to do however is just to go in and do it. If you have to go outside then again you'll be accompanied by someone and then you will probably get extra time as long as you haven't gotten out of anyone's sight!
Original post by blizal
It depends. If you were to go in on the day and say you were sick then you'd most likely be accompanied by an invigilator until you feel better to insure you don't have a relative elsewhere, finished the exam, and feeding you the questions after they've finished.

The best thing to do however is just to go in and do it. If you have to go outside then again you'll be accompanied by someone and then you will probably get extra time as long as you haven't gotten out of anyone's sight!

Its a university exam
At my uni, if your mitigating circumstances are accepted, then you'd get to sit the exam in the resit period (late August), but your marks aren't capped at 40%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I'm prone to migraines and they're horrible. They come accompanied by nausea and exhaustion.

I've got a GCSE exam today and I've got a sever migraine. I can't refrain from needing to gag - disgusting I know, and I don't know what to do!

My teacher would be so angry with me - should I send her an e-mail pre-exam to let her know? Or not?

Can someone explain the steps that I need to do? I'm so worried but I just can't do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katiemcswiney
I'm prone to migraines and they're horrible. They come accompanied by nausea and exhaustion.

I've got a GCSE exam today and I've got a sever migraine. I can't refrain from needing to gag - disgusting I know, and I don't know what to do!

My teacher would be so angry with me - should I send her an e-mail pre-exam to let her know? Or not?

Can someone explain the steps that I need to do? I'm so worried but I just can't do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Man the **** up and do it
Reply 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

They won't let you off for migraine and nausea, you have to have a doctors note.
Go in, they might let you take it in another room or something.
My friend was sick so he had to take an exam in the medical block and got the time back that he lost while throwing up.
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll need to get a doctors note if you're going to miss it.

Depending on how your migraine affects you, you could risk doing it. Only you know whether you can struggle through.

I did an exam with a migraine once though (didn't really realise it fully at the time as it was one of those unusual times I had no pain with it, until I got back home and crashed for several hours and woke up with that post-migraine crappy feeling) and because my migraines make me uncoordinated and rather out of it, it was like being drunk for the entire exam and afterwards aside from sitting at my desk and remembering feeling like everything had become hilarious, I didn't remember a thing about what I'd actually done. :s-smilie: Luckily, it turned out it must have gone okay, but quite frankly I'm amazed my handwriting was even legible, let alone that I actually gave meaningful answers. :redface:
I'm registered as a disabled student with my uni because of serious illness. I've not missed exams during the exam period (this exam period they've put special measures in place for me which make it easier for me to attend) but I have missed exams throughout the year that count towards my final result. The uni simply made me sit it at a later date. If you have an actual and serious reason for missing it, they're normally okay with it.

ETA: I did have to submit medical evidence and I also had to take a year out because of my health, i don't know if this has affected how they deal with me.
If you have documented evidence of why you missed an exam from a doctor, then at my uni they make you resit in the summer, but it will be classified and treated as a first attempt. Hope that answers your questions.
Reply 11
No, I have migraines, go to your doctor get a GP letter or a phone call, going to your schools head of exams and speak to them. To cut a long story short, i can't spend prolonged time staring at a scene and i take media studies so I have more time between extracts and can leave the room when and if needed. Talk to your teachers, you can get an extra 1% - 2% for a headache on the day but before any of your other exams and you might even get extra time, if you get a referral to neurology at your local hospital you might actually get a letter sent to the exam board, it is left in their hands but they might be nice and give you extra marks, subjects like music and languages this is key, my ears zone out during some headaches so you might sit in a separate room for these exams also with extra time between the playings of the track etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending