The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

What do you think of University of Queen Mary?

I recently got an offer from university of queen mary and university of sheffield and I'm not from uk nor europe so i would be appreciate if anyone tell me if these universities are good or bad in terms of reputation in uk, also international.

and I heard from one of my friend lives in uk says that people in london are kinda racist people i don't know if it's true or not. and he also says that living cost is ridiculously high in london. I'm from big city, so living cost is high in my town too, but how bad is it if i live in london as a university student.

Im plant to study law, so is Queen Mary or Sheffield good for study law?

I looked up on the qs world university ranking, and as a school sheffield was around 60th and queen mary was like around 100th but for law, queen mary was like 50th and sheffield was like 100th.

because I'm not from uk, i have to take a foundation course before get into university, so it roughly means that i have extra one year to study basic of my major. also if i change my mind and wanna do something else, i can change my major. like if i wanna do business instead, i can change my major from law to business. it's not that easy i think, but i could, as long as university is fine with it.

right now i kinda want to go queen mary because i heard that they are really good university for law. but again, i don't know much about both universities so please give me some advise.
thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by InternationalS
I recently got an offer from university of queen mary and university of sheffield and I'm not from uk nor europe so i would be appreciate if anyone tell me if these universities are good or bad in terms of reputation in uk, also international.

and I heard from one of my friend lives in uk says that people in london are kinda racist people i don't know if it's true or not. and he also says that living cost is ridiculously high in london. I'm from big city, so living cost is high in my town too, but how bad is it if i live in london as a university student.

Im plant to study law, so is Queen Mary or Sheffield good for study law?

I looked up on the qs world university ranking, and as a school sheffield was around 60th and queen mary was like around 100th but for law, queen mary was like 50th and sheffield was like 100th.

because I'm not from uk, i have to take a foundation course before get into university, so it roughly means that i have extra one year to study basic of my major. also if i change my mind and wanna do something else, i can change my major. like if i wanna do business instead, i can change my major from law to business. it's not that easy i think, but i could, as long as university is fine with it.

right now i kinda want to go queen mary because i heard that they are really good university for law. but again, i don't know much about both universities so please give me some advise.
thanks.

You might get racism anywhere to be fair..........but the chances should be lower in London as its so diverse.

I know QMUL is definitely good for law, not sure on Sheffield, for me they are known for engineering.

World ranking means nothing, individual country based rankings are better but they are only indicators to an extent.

Its fair better to go and research into what companies think about the uni, I know for Law at qmul they have it a lot better then other department, even their law fair with loads of firms.

As far as I'm aware the foundation course is a must for those without the right qualifications, to do law you have to pick certain modules which they'll tell you about which are compulsory for taking law later, so check if they compatible with other courses if you decide to change your mind.

London is quite expensive, but luckily QMUL is based in a relatively cheap place compared to other London unis.......campus accomdation is around £113 to about £150 a week, food in the area is quite cheap as well due to the number of restaurants, etc.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
I know that Sheffield is the higher ranking out of the two (I'd imagine both in the UK and internationally), but I don't think there is a dramatic difference between two. I honestly think that for you QM would be the better option. It's very high ranking for Law and London is a great place to be and study (and as the poster above me mentioned it is an area that is cheaper to live in than other areas of London) You also mentioned that is where you want to go.
In terms of racism, I agree with what the poster above said. London (especially East London)is very diverse and is home to people with lots of different backgrounds. I have never come across a QM student that had serious issues with racism and prejudice. Also I'm pretty sure that if you do encounter racism that the QM welfare and advice service would do something to try and help.
Reply 3
I have firmed Sheffield to do law, on the basis that it is a good university ( russel group) and everyone I know who has been has nothing negative to say on it! Personally, I didn't apply to London universities because as much as I love the city of London, in my opinion, it isn't a 'student city'. It's really expensive to live, and it is also huge. When you move out of halls into your own house you might have to live quite far away because of the price (as told by someone who goes to imperial - another London uni college). Sheffield to me feels like a 'homely' city as the accomodation is close to the city but situated in a sort of neighbour hood... It's also considered a student city! However queen Mary is a good uni so you will unlikely be disappointed if you go to either
Reply 4
Original post by 95ally
I have firmed Sheffield to do law, on the basis that it is a good university ( russel group) and everyone I know who has been has nothing negative to say on it! Personally, I didn't apply to London universities because as much as I love the city of London, in my opinion, it isn't a 'student city'. It's really expensive to live, and it is also huge. When you move out of halls into your own house you might have to live quite far away because of the price (as told by someone who goes to imperial - another London uni college). Sheffield to me feels like a 'homely' city as the accomodation is close to the city but situated in a sort of neighbour hood... It's also considered a student city! However queen Mary is a good uni so you will unlikely be disappointed if you go to either

Imperial uni's area is very expensive.........QMULs area is the opposite and much much cheaper.

Quick Reply

Latest