The Student Room Group

Can you sue Student Finance ?

Hi Everyone can any one give me any advice on what to do about student finance. I am a parent and student studying in my second year at University.currently I am at logger heads with student finance because they are asking me to provided impossible evidence. For example, in the form of a child tax credits annual award letter 2011/2012 to confirm that I was in receipt of child tax credits for 2011/2012 and that I am in low income and entitled to claim student loans etc, which is fine and fair you would think. But the problem is that student finance doesn't seem to understand that not everyone who claims child tax credits gets an annual tax credit award letter , not all, as the HM Revenue and Customs doses selected individual for automatic renewal of claim meaning these people don't get that Tax Credit Award Letter so I and they cannot send it as evidence because they didn't do it in my case and potentially in other peoples to and Student Finance are refusing any other evidence , to prove I am telling the truth and they say that they will take my funding away. The idea of education is meant for everyone and access to higher education through student loans I feel that they are discriminating against me on the grounds of been of low income by the technicality. Any advice would be great.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LeasleyMarie
Hi Everyone can any one give me any advice on what to do about student finance. I am a parent and student studying in my second year at University.currently I am at logger heads with student finance because they are asking me to provided impossible evidence. For example, in the form of a child tax credits annual award letter 2011/2012 to confirm that I was in receipt of child tax credits for 2011/2012 and that I am in low income and entitled to claim student loans etc, which is fine and fair you would think. But the problem is that student finance doesn't seem to understand that not everyone who claims child tax credits gets an annual tax credit award letter , not all, as the HM Revenue and Customs doses selected individual for automatic renewal of claim meaning these people don't get that Tax Credit Award Letter so I and they cannot send it as evidence because they didn't do it in my case and potentially in other peoples to and Student Finance are refusing any other evidence , to prove I am telling the truth and they say that they will take my funding away. The idea of education is meant for everyone and access to higher education through student loans I feel that they are discriminating against me on the grounds of been of low income by the technicality. Any advice would be great.

Have you tried asking HMRC if they can provide a Tax Credit Award letter, or duplicate, for that period in question? Explain your circumstances to them, and they might be able to help you out.
Reply 2
Sue them?! Haha, what on earth for?!
Reply 3
Yes you can sue student finance.
Reply 4
I can't see what student finance have done wrong here. They're just asking you to provide evidence.

You can try and sue them if you wish. No solicitor would go near this with a barge pole!

SFE have done nothing wrong. You've been asked to send in evidence, which you haven't done. You can easily call HMRC and ask them to send you a letter stating that you were on Tax Credits during 2011 - 2012 tax year - and they will gladly send one out to you, quite quickly usually too.

I'm pretty sure you would have received a letter from HMRC saying that you will continue to get Tax Credits during that tax year - my mum used to get them every year.

They are doing what they'd do to ANY student that won't provide evidence -withholding funding.
Reply 6
If you don't have a most recent Tax Credit Award Notice, then you can always provide a most recent child benefit letter.
Reply 7
Just call HMRC and ask them to send you a letter. They do it all the time. It takes 10 minutes.

Not sure how you would jump to suing before thinking of this but OK.
You want to sue a student finance company on the basis that they are discriminating against you for being on a low income? Are you serious?

Echoing what someone said above, get in touch with HMRC and explain your circumstances, I find it highly unlikely that they will not assist you in this matter. By the sounds of it you haven't even done this - yet you want to sue! I understand your frustration, buy apply thinking to this problem and it should be easily resolved.
Reply 9
For stopping my funding on the grounds that the evidence they are requesting is impossible to give for some people and it will cause me not to finish my course
Reply 10
For some people to confirm their entailment to claim student loans they have to send evidence which is fair enough guys I agree but what if the evidence they are asking for to confirm entitlement is applicable for some ie Tax credit awards letter not everyone gets one as there claim is automatically renewed so how can they provide this evidence? I think it is unfair that you wont accept other evidence to confirm low income because not everyone gets a Tax Credit Award Notice as they claim is automatically renewed do you understand ?
There's no reason why you couldn't just phone up HMRC and request a copy of your tax credits letter.

They haven't been unreasonable here.
Reply 12
No lol think people missing the point the HMR and customs do not send letters to confirm this situation the only thing they will do is ring STF and then they cant get through , if they would obviously send a letter that would be so easy, as a solution . and student finance are refusing , point blank any other evidence even other Tax credit awards notice which are up to date like 2012/2013.
I think you're missing the point. There's no reason why you can't phone up and ask for the letter yourself.
Reply 14
Original post by pmc:producer
You want to sue a student finance company on the basis that they are discriminating against you for being on a low income? Are you serious?

Echoing what someone said above, get in touch with HMRC and explain your circumstances, I find it highly unlikely that they will not assist you in this matter. By the sounds of it you haven't even done this - yet you want to sue! I understand your frustration, buy apply thinking to this problem and it should be easily resolved.

Lol of course I have rung them the cant provide the letter in question the awards notice 2011/2012 as they don't have it and wont provide a letter confirming the position, I have rung up a number of times they say the same thing no
Reply 15
HMR wont give the letter in question the 2011/2012 award letter and any other letter confirming the circumstances that I am in , I have rung up a number of times. I would be so easy if that was the cases. but they did ring up about the circumstances and couldn't get through on the line
Reply 16
Any other ideas guys ?and thanks you your comments much appreciated
Reply 17
Help would much be appreciated :smile:
Reply 18
Do you guys think that the problem is HMR then not supplying evidence or that student finance wont accept any of the evidence other than what I have oready stated guys? Thanks for any advice really need it not very good at these things and feel like I am just hitting a brick wall. Some one said that I should take to my MP is that a stupid suggestion got to get in sorted out really soon
Reply 19
Do you guys think that the problem is HMR then not supplying evidence or that student finance wont accept any of the evidence other than what I have oready stated guys? Thanks for any advice really need it not very good at these things and feel like I am just hitting a brick wall. Some one said that I should take to my MP is that a stupid suggestion got to get in sorted out really soon

Have you asked if they would accept copies of bank statements showing that the money went into your bank every week?

It seems quite odd to have no evidence whatsoever that you receive an income related benefit. I'm not doubting you by the way, just think it is odd that HMR gives out money without leaving a paper trail of any sort.

Latest

Trending

Trending