The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks! What do you think 90ums be roughly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Arsey, what do you reckon 69/75 would be? Messed up Venn diagram.
Reply 22
Do you have to explicitly write 0 in the venn diagrams.

If you got the outlier limits and just marked the outliers on the boxplot correctly, will you lose marks for not writing which of the actual values is an outlier as the question does not ask that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
For 4e isn't data negatively skewed since Q3 - Q2 < Q2 - Q1?

Yeh but the mean is greater than the median so i think that means positively skewed. I also saw the quartile problem! But you can tell because the skewness is the direction which the data tails off in. Here 62, 88 in lowest classes and frequency is significantly lower in higher classes, so it tails off in positive direction. Therefore positive skew. Bit unfair though.
(edited 10 years ago)
For 4f) wouldn't standard deviation actually be affected as the mean is affected, so the standard deviation would be lower as you're taking a lower value for the mean?
*Sorry, also, for that wordy question on q5f, I didn't specify that the mean, median, IQR would decrease BY 5MM
Also for question 1), I used the answers in 3s.f. to find the product moment correlation coefficient, do I get the mark?
And also for the last part of the probability question, I did the probabilities in the Venn diagram COMPLETELY wrong but added up (same method) even though I obviously got the wrong answer. Do I get a method mark at all?
Please reply!
Original post by ArcRaman
Do you have to explicitly write 0 in the venn diagrams.

If you got the outlier limits and just marked the outliers on the boxplot correctly, will you lose marks for not writing which of the actual values is an outlier as the question does not ask that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't include 0's in my venns and I marked the whiskers in the same manner as you. It would be a joke if they dock marks for either of these things
Original post by Hare-Krishna
Yeh but the mean is greater than the median so i think that means positively skewed. I also saw the quartile problem! But you can tell because the skewness is the direction which the data tails off in. Here 62, 88 in lowest classes and frequency is significantly lower in higher classes, so it tails off in positive direction. Therefore positive skew. Bit unfair though.

But the main point was that it's skewed, which is why mean and SD can't be used
QUESTION 1 REGRESSION LINE Sth / SHH :frown: NOT Sth / Stt
./
(edited 10 years ago)
Thank you so much for posting! :smile:

Also, does anyone know previous years UMS boundaries so for 90 -100 UMS etc?

Got a bit stuck on the Venn diagram question. I figured that if the event B was that an employee takes the bus to work, B would be a subset of each three circles :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by Robbie242
a few initial questions

regression part a) forgot to give to 3sf and gave as exact, drop 1 mark?

probability part d) venn diagram if I left the middle of the bus as blank rather than 0, lose any marks?

regression part c) If I said data is close together so a regression line would be suitable is this correct?

Normal dist part c) If I drew a diagram of the initial probability how many marks, I couldn't figure out how to progress because my mind wasn't straight

I totally forgot to put the 0 in too, im also curious if i would lose any marks for that?
Reply 32
I got the whole last question wrong, but will I get any method marks?
Is the box plot in model answers incorrect ? the lower limit of 20.5 doesnt match up on the drawing?
62/75 !! wooooo, i went into that exam NEEDING an E, wanting a low C, and now im guaranteed a B maybe an A wooooow !! i put 3 days of work into S1 and i get this :eek:
Reply 35
Hi there, anyone can answer this, for question 4f I mentioned all the correct things but didn't say that the mean reduces, instead I said that the mean remains the same whilst the standard deviation changes, will I still get the mark or would I lose it due to contradiction of myself? Thanks!!!
Original post by Dr. Django
WOOOO got 73/74

Bad times...
Reply 37
Original post by mahatma ghandi
I didn't include 0's in my venns and I marked the whiskers in the same manner as you. It would be a joke if they dock marks for either of these things

It would be an abomination

Posted from TSR Mobile
for 4e) i just put the data was heavily skewed , would i still get the mark ?
Reply 39
Original post by Macaulayyy
For 4f) wouldn't standard deviation actually be affected as the mean is affected, so the standard deviation would be lower as you're taking a lower value for the mean?

This is what my logic was, if your subtracting a lower mean, surely the sd will increase?