The Student Room Group

Feel an idiot: SELF TEACHING A-Level Physics in one year

hi,
as some of you know, i am planning to self teach full AQA a level physics, M2, M3 and FP1 alongside a full time job in one year.

I have a lot of ambition and will really work for an A in both, but everyone is telling me how ridiculous this is an i feel embarrassed to tell people.

Has anyone any experienced this?
Reply 1
Original post by physicso
hi,
as some of you know, i am planning to self teach full AQA a level physics, M2, M3 and FP1 alongside a full time job in one year.

I have a lot of ambition and will really work for an A in both, but everyone is telling me how ridiculous this is an i feel embarrassed to tell people.

Has anyone any experienced this?

That's far too much to self teach along with a full time job. Some topics of physics isn't like maths where you can just learn from a book, to understand it you'll need to be taught it. Also where will you find the time for 7 (+ 2 coursework based) modules?
totally doable. I've studied it beyond A-level and it was mostly self-teaching anyway by that point. You will have a somewhat more difficult job if you don't have a teacher or lecturers to go to when things get tough but there's no reason you can't do this, you've got the whole internet at your fingertips and there are some incredibly useful resources out there. It won't be easy but it's never been easier. It may be worth getting a tutor for an hour or two a week.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by B-Stacks
That's far too much to self teach along with a full time job. Some topics of physics isn't like maths where you can just learn from a book, to understand it you'll need to be taught it. Also where will you find the time for 7 (+ 2 coursework based) modules?

right :s what kind of Physics modules are the most difficult and 'cannot be self taught'? as i do chemistry and i haven't come across one topic yet (finished it all now!) that couldn't be self taught.
Reply 4
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
totally doable. I've studied it beyond A-level and it was mostly self-teaching anyway by that point. You will have a somewhat more difficult job if you don't have a teacher or lecturers to go to when things get tough but there's no reason you can't do this, you've got the whole internet at your fingertips and there are some incredibly useful resources out there. It won't be easy but it's never been easier. It may be worth getting a tutor for an hour or two a week.

Can't afford one :frown: my parents are making me give all the money i earn in my job to them as rent for taking a gap year.
Original post by physicso
Can't afford one :frown: my parents are making me give all the money i earn in my job to them as rent for taking a gap year.

they wouldn't even spare you 20 quid a week as an investment in your future?
Reply 6
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
they wouldn't even spare you 20 quid a week as an investment in your future?

no - there ***** :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest