The Student Room Group

Non-vocational degrees - worthless?

It seems to me a non-vocational degree carries the prestige of the institution it was studied at.

I am currently studying a History degree, and in the future I would like to immigrate to Australia, but in the context of immigration I don't see how having a History degree would help me.

Australia wants people with vocational, technical skills, no History graduates.

It seems to me that the modern job market has changed. Non-vocational subjects are now no good to anyone. Employers want people with skills that they can make immediate use of, not people with arts degrees.

Maybe if you did your Arts degree at a Russell group it carries more prestige, but not because of the degree itself but because of the university you went to.

In short, doing an arts degree at an ex-poly is a sure road to unemployment.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TobaccoSmoke
It seems to me a non-vocational degree carries the prestige of the institution it was studied at.

I am currently studying a History degree, and in the future I would like to immigrate to Australia, but in the context of immigration I don't see how having a History degree would help me.

Australia wants people with vocational, technical skills, no History graduates.

It seems to me that the modern job market has changed. Non-vocational subjects are now no good to anyone. Employers want people with skills that they can make immediate use of, not people with arts degrees.

Maybe if you did your Arts degree at a Russell group it carries more prestige, but not because of the degree itself but because of the university you went to.

In short, doing an arts degree at an ex-poly is a sure road to unemployment.

Are you not bored of these self indulgent and crassly arrogant wind ups?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I would extend that even further to pure science degrees - who needs a Physicist when you can employ an Engineer?

People need to be warned of these things before applying - the "you can do anything with this degree" advice we get from teachers, however well-intentioned, does not set you up properly for real life.
Reply 3
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
I would extend that even further to pure science degrees - who needs a Physicist when you can employ an Engineer?

People need to be warned of these things before applying - the "you can do anything with this degree" advice we get from teachers, however well-intentioned, does not set you up properly for real life.

And this is the saddest thing of them all - academia is supposed to be a place where knowledge and ideas flourish, not a place to set you up for a 9-5 grind and/or university itself becoming a grind to just get your degree and get out of there.

A physicist's knowledge will far exceed an engineer's [certainly on a theoretical level] yet an engineer is more employable as you point out, which is indeed very sad to see. It's sad to see what universities and academia in general has become.
Original post by Ultimate1
A physicist's knowledge will far exceed an engineer's [certainly on a theoretical level] yet an engineer is more employable as you point out, which is indeed very sad to see. It's sad to see what universities and academia in general has become.

Uh, not really. A physicist will know more about physics, whereas an engineer will know more about engineering. They're quite different subjects, and as such you wouldn't expect the employability between the two to have all that much cross-over.
Reply 5
Original post by Smack
Uh, not really. A physicist will know more about physics, whereas an engineer will know more about engineering. They're quite different subjects, and as such you wouldn't expect the employability between the two to have all that much cross-over.

What engineers learn is nothing compared to physicists and mathematicians in theoretical terms.

Engineering is a poor man's math/physics. Sick of engineers thinking they are some sort of actual intellects when it's clear most of them are in it for the earning potential.
What engineers learn is nothing compared to physicists and mathematicians in theoretical terms.

So? Industry doesn't pay you to dick around with theory. Engineering degrees already teach more than enough theory for the vast majority of their graduates anyway.

Engineering is a poor man's math/physics.

You've obviously never worked as an engineer.

Sick of engineers thinking they are some sort of actual intellects when it's clear most of them are in it for the earning potential.

More like you're butt-hurt about the difference in jobs prospects.
Reply 7
Original post by Smack
So? Industry doesn't pay you to dick around with theory. Engineering degrees already teach more than enough theory for the vast majority of their graduates anyway.

Yeah I've seen question sheets that engineers get and they pale in comparison to what mathematicians get to be honest. I could do them with my eyes closed.

This is the only thing engineers can blab about; job prospects. Unlike engineers most people, you know, have a genuine passion about what they want to study as opposed to just being in it for the cash.
Yeah I've seen question sheets that engineers get and they pale in comparison to what mathematicians get to be honest. I could do them with my eyes closed.

That's not really relevant to anything other than your own ego, though, is it? You obviously feel a strong sense of entitlement based on your ability to do high level maths.

This is the only thing engineers can blab about; job prospects. Unlike engineers most people, you know, have a genuine passion about what they want to study as opposed to just being in it for the cash.

Actually you'll find that huge amounts of engineers are passionate about it, hence why so many are so satisfied with their jobs. Designing, making, and improving things that benefit humanity is great.
Reply 9
Engineer's and physicist's cover pretty different areas in general really.... and while theory is less useful than practical skills in industry, the financial sector value the analytical skills developed most in maths and physics (particularly the fact that techniques for financial modelling and physical modelling are nearly identical) so both have good job prospects and earning potential albeit for engineering the good jobs are in the field of the degree... The whole who is better thing is really pointless.... Of course a mathematician will be better at maths than an engineer... of course there are people who go into engineering for the earning potential (not so much in this country as in Germany) and there are lots of people who go into it because they find it interesting, the same can be said for maths and physics...

No, that's exactly my point. Having "a genuine passion" is all well and good but it's terrible advice.

We should be encouraged to improve our job prospects when applying because, like it or not, that is what university is now for.
Reply 11
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
No, that's exactly my point. Having "a genuine passion" is all well and good but it's terrible advice.

We should be encouraged to improve our job prospects when applying because, like it or not, that is what university is now for.

And this is the sad thing. University shouldn't be about preparing you to be another 9-5 drone.
it can also be argued that it is selfish to simply pursue your passion because aside from the fact that you will be receiving less money as your services are unlikely to be as in demand compared to someone who choose their degree based on the job market, you will be depriving others within society of the services that you could of potentially provided, making them pay more for them.
Reply 13
Seems to me learning for learning's sake is held in such high esteem in british culture because it's traditionally been something only the wealthy have been able to afford to do.

A bit like amateurism in sports.

Nothing wrong with wanting to study a subject for the enjoyment of it imo, but there may not be much financial payoff.
Reply 14
And this is the sad thing. University shouldn't be about preparing you to be another 9-5 drone.

The "non 9-5 drones" are and always will be a tiny group of people who innovate using their own intrinsic passion/desire; not something you can teach in a class. You can't teach someone to be the next Richard Branson or Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerberg, these are one-in-a-billion type people whose success (and luck) it would be impossible to replicate in 99.999% of cases. You can however train someone to be an engineer, a doctor, a lawyer, a teacher, a researcher, a banker - so on and so forth. All of which are careers essential to society and which offer plenty of scope and diversity within themselves, even if they are a standard 9-5 job.

When people talk about "getting out of the slave 9-5 grind" they simply refer to starting your business, being your own boss, working for yourself and setting your own hours. Anyone who has actually started a successful business would probably tell you how insanely difficult it actually is - probably a great deal more so than an average job. People who start successful business rarely actually need college education; that's for people who have a specific career path in mind. So whilst the current system may not be "ideal", referring to those with careers as "9-5 slaves" is getting old, and is just some wannabe-edgy crap that seems to have gained some popularity recently.
Original post by bertstare
The "non 9-5 drones" are and always will be a tiny group of people who innovate using their own intrinsic passion/desire; not something you can teach in a class. You can't teach someone to be the next Richard Branson or Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerberg, these are one-in-a-billion type people whose success (and luck) it would be impossible to replicate in 99.999% of cases. You can however train someone to be an engineer, a doctor, a lawyer, a teacher, a researcher, a banker - so on and so forth. All of which are careers essential to society and which offer plenty of scope and diversity within themselves, even if they are a standard 9-5 job.

When people talk about "getting out of the slave 9-5 grind" they simply refer to starting your business, being your own boss, working for yourself and setting your own hours. Anyone who has actually started a successful business would probably tell you how insanely difficult it actually is - probably a great deal more so than an average job. People who start successful business rarely actually need college education; that's for people who have a specific career path in mind. So whilst the current system may not be "ideal", referring to those with careers as "9-5 slaves" is getting old, and is just some wannabe-edgy crap that seems to have gained some popularity recently.

If only the jobs you list were 9-5 :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
If only the jobs you list were 9-5 :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I was referring more to the idea that in those typical salaried jobs, you work for someone else rather than for yourself. But yeah the actual hours are usually more..
Original post by Smack

Are you really implying that prospects for math or physics graduates are worse than engineering?
Reply 18
Original post by crunchychips
Are you really implying that prospects for math or physics graduates are worse than engineering?

That's a fair point to make? I would say job prospects for maths are pretty good though, physics not so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crunchychips

I'm saying that due to the different knowledge imparted by the degrees they open up different jobs. Perhaps "different" would have been a better word than "difference".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending