The Student Room Group

With 'friends' like this, what British Muslim needs enemies?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10059873/Council-vetoes-flag-of-St-George-after-concerns-raised-about-links-to-Crusades.html

Eleanor Jackson, a university lecturer, said the red and white symbol could cause upset in Radstock, Somerset, because it was used during the Crusades 1,000 years ago.

The Labour councillor voiced her concerns at a meeting called to discuss which flag should be purchased to fly atop the town's repaired civic flagpole.

She said: "My big problem is that it is offensive to some Muslims, but even more so that it has been hijacked by the far right."My thoughts are we ought to drop it for 20 years."

Radstock Town Council, which serves a local population of more than 5,600 residents, eventually decided to purchase a Union flag to fly on Armistice Day.

The rainbow flag of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender pride movement will be flown at "appropriate" times of the year while an In Bloom flag will celebrate the town's achievements in the gardening competition.

The objections raised about the flag of St George were branded "oversensitive" by the local Muslim community while the Muslim Council of Britain said England's patron saint should not be associated with "any hatred of Muslims".

Spokeswoman Nasima Begum said: "St George needs to take his rightful place as a national symbol of inclusivity rather than a symbol of hatred."

Rizwan Ahmed, spokesman for the Bristol Muslim Cultural Society said: "I think they are going a bit far here.

"It is political correctness going a bit too far.

"Use by the far right is one thing, but to say that Muslims are offended I don't think is correct. We understand the flag is part of this country's heritage, and in fact many many Muslims will identify as being British themselves.

"In actual fact we are normal people. We have a sense of humour and have the same concerns as everyone else - we are not just some single group."

Lesley Mansell, the council chair, insisted that the discussion focused primarily on buying a Union flag.

"We were presented a list of every flag we can fly as a local authority but the council agreed that we did not want to fly all of them and simply wanted to purchase our own Union Jack," she said.

"The statement made by one councillor regarding the St George's flag was not really taken into consideration."

Even though Muslims insist it isn't racist or offensive to fly the flag, the stupid Labour councillor stereotype insists that it is.

The irony is that she doesn't seem all that concerned about 'potentially' offending 'some' Muslims by flying the rainbow LGBT pride flag, even though homosexuality is strongly forbidden in Islam.

Obviously there's not enough racism in Radstock for her to become hysterical over so she decided to stir some up. She's the perfect example of the only group of people I truly detest, the counter-productive white PC nonsense who *cause* bigotry while trying to prevent it.

Scroll to see replies

Some people are just, really really really stupid i guess :/
Reply 2
What a lot of people don't realise is that most of the 'we don't want offend Muslims' or 'bowing to Muslim demands' is instigated by people on the left. One immediate example that comes to mind is a local council proposing all pupils should be taken out of swimming lessons during Ramadan. That's crazy.
This is the thing.Well off upper middle class politicians in their ivory towers don't seem to understand people. If the town has 16 Muslims and only 16 Muslims, why not just bloody ask them if they're offended, instead of assuming that they would be? This sort of **** fuels the "argument" that "Muslims are taking over"
Reply 4
What a silly woman.
Reply 5
Original post by de_monies
This is the thing.Well off upper middle class politicians in their ivory towers don't seem to understand people. If the town has 16 Muslims and only 16 Muslims, why not just bloody ask them if they're offended, instead of assuming that they would be? This sort of **** fuels the "argument" that "Muslims are taking over"

Totally agree...........nonetheless I can see far-right groups using what she said and this article as a way to further instigate trouble and bring more uneducated people looking for a scapegoat for their troubles to their following.

Plus people forget that St. George is from the Middle East and is even respected and known to Muslims.....even partially identified as someone by another name known in that part of the world.

Also, we Muslims are not all that stupid like the edl or bnp, we know what the flag is and know its being misused :rolleyes:

Article title is misleading,

"“We were presented a list of every flag we can fly as a local authority but the council agreed that we did not want to fly all of them and simply wanted to purchase our own Union Jack," she said.
“The statement made by one councillor regarding the St George’s flag was not really taken into consideration.”"
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by marcusfox
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10059873/Council-vetoes-flag-of-St-George-after-concerns-raised-about-links-to-Crusades.html

Even though Muslims insist it isn't racist or offensive to fly the flag, the stupid Labour councillor stereotype insists that it is.

The irony is that she doesn't seem all that concerned about 'potentially' offending 'some' Muslims by flying the rainbow LGBT pride flag, even though homosexuality is strongly forbidden in Islam.

Obviously there's not enough racism in Radstock for her to become hysterical over so she decided to stir some up. She's the perfect example of the only group of people I truly detest, the counter-productive white PC nonsense who *cause* bigotry while trying to prevent it.

She is a moron and an example of everything I detest in a person.
Reply 7
Original post by marcusfox

The St George flag has been taken over by work shy natives.
I always see that flag outside some bums council house window or a sticker on a van without insurance.

Maybe we should make it against the law to fly the St George flag unless you are university educated with a job, maybe it can gain better status.
Reply 8
Original post by ssxx
The St George flag has been taken over by work shy natives.
I always see that flag outside some bums council house window or a sticker on a van without insurance.

Maybe we should make it against the law to fly the St George flag unless you are university educated with a job, maybe it can gain better status.

Not disliked by the local Muslims though it seems, just disliked by the stereotypical extremist, white self-loathing Labour councillor types.

She should put a picture of her face up the flagpole and offend everyone.

http://democracy.bathnes.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=266

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
The england flag is not racist at all, that's the most stupidest thing I have ever heard, which "muslims" does she represent ? none.
Now stop fueling things woman!
Whoever suggested it and whoever went with it should lose their jobs.
Reply 11
I'm a critic of Islam, but I'd concede that the blame doesn't just rest with muslims. It's the self-loathing chinless wonders who see problems when there are none. The over PC leftists need to learn to shut the **** up once in a while. It's stupid acts such as this which stirs up tension.
On a more important point. How the hell do people like this get voted into position of authority?

I'm surprised they haven't targeted the red cross.

People like this woman do more damage to ethnic minorities than they solve.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
What future do we have in our own country when it's full of people like this?
I really can't stand these people who try and make out the Cross of St George is in any way racist or extreamist. Yes it's used by some racists, but almost every flag has some negative connotations and uses. The St Andrews Cross, Irish tricolour and the Welsh flag are all used by anti English groups, but that doesn't mean they are anti English and I doubt more than a minority of English find them offensive. By this logic though, they should be banned. I presume she's also be happy to ban and Islamic symbols, because many of them have been hijacked by terrorists, despite the fact that they in most cases have nothing to do with terrorism? I also presume she would never agree to the flying of the flag of any country that we've ever been at war with, just incase that offends anyone? They are happy for the LGBT flag to fly, but surely that will offend those who think homosexuality is a sin (it would offend as many muslims as a Cross of St George would).

All this sort of attitude does is stir up problems and tensions when they are not there. I think the relationship with Islamic symbols is very important. If we're teaching people that symbols representing Britain, England, the west etc are representative of racism and the far right, then we can't be surprised when people start accociating any Islamic symbolism with terrorism. All this does is play into the hands of the EDL etc.
Reply 15
The councillor should be fired from both the council and the university, the sheer idiocy of this whole situation is just unimaginable. They invent problems for themselves.
Not the first time Labour councillors overreact to something, The whole foster children scenario comes to mind :rolleyes:
Reply 17
I saw a similar article earlier where an ex army soldier painted St Georges flag on his door. The council made him remove it because some people may find it 'distressing' and 'offensive'. Totally ridiculous!
Original post by Barksy
I'm a critic of Islam, but I'd concede that the blame doesn't just rest with muslims. It's the self-loathing chinless wonders who see problems when there are none. The over PC leftists need to learn to shut the **** up once in a while. It's stupid acts such as this which stirs up tension.

dont swear
So does this councillor's logic extend to English people being offended by Islamic symbols used in the crusades?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending