The Student Room Group

AQA english lit predictions?????

is anyone studying an inspector calls and of mice and men?
if so, do you have a rough idea of what might crop up tomorrow e.g. characters and themes?
ive looked at several past papers, but have no idea what might appear tomorrow! :confused:

any suggestions would be grateful :smile:
and good luck to everyone who's sitting this exam paper tomorrow

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not doing An Inspector Calls, but I am doing OMAM :yep:

I reckon that they'll throw Slim in there. That being said, they haven't asked a direct question about either George or Lennie, so hopefully one of those two will come up! If AQA are feeling cruel they may ask a question about Carlson :emo:. Best of luck!
Reply 2
Original post by laylarose
I'm not doing An Inspector Calls, but I am doing OMAM :yep:

I reckon that they'll throw Slim in there. That being said, they haven't asked a direct question about either George or Lennie, so hopefully one of those two will come up! If AQA are feeling cruel they may ask a question about Carlson :emo:. Best of luck!

i was hoping you'd say crooks! (my strongest area) and what do you mean by direct question, could you give an example? good luck to you too!
Reply 3
Original post by emah123
i was hoping you'd say crooks! (my strongest area) and what do you mean by direct question, could you give an example? good luck to you too!

It could be Crooks, although they have asked about him fairly recently, but you never know! :smile: That's pretty much the dream question for me too, haha. So much to say about Crooks and the context!

And what I mean by direct question is that the only question they've asked so far concerning either George or Lennie constitutes of their relationship (i.e. "How do the details in this passage add to your understanding of George and his relationship with Lennie?")

So for example, the board could simply ask: "How is the character George presented in this extract?" or "What methods does Steinbeck use to present Lennie in this passage?"

And thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by laylarose
It could be Crooks, although they have asked about him fairly recently, but you never know! :smile: That's pretty much the dream question for me too, haha. So much to say about Crooks and the context!

And what I mean by direct question is that the only question they've asked so far concerning either George or Lennie constitutes of their relationship (i.e. "How do the details in this passage add to your understanding of George and his relationship with Lennie?")

So for example, the board could simply ask: "How is the character George presented in this extract?" or "What methods does Steinbeck use to present Lennie in this passage?"

And thank you! :biggrin:

i find that "what METHODS does steinbeck use to present lennie in this passage?" the word methods scares me hahaha, do you know any methods which are easy to remember for OMAM? :confused: :colondollar:
characters: slim or curley \
> OMAM
themes: loneliness and the failure of dreams /

AIC
characters: Mr birling, eric
themes: well i dont know seeing as i will answer the character question as you can talk about several themes.
Reply 7
Original post by tazza ma razza
characters: slim or curley \
> OMAM
themes: loneliness and the failure of dreams /

AIC
characters: Mr birling, eric
themes: well i dont know seeing as i will answer the character question as you can talk about several themes.

do you have any links for sample essays on failure of dreams? thank you!
I'm doing OMAM and AIC.

I dunno really... There will be one on a character(s) and one about the presentation of ideas in AIC, most likely...
I'd like it to be Shelia or Eric, as they actually change, that will be what the question will be about, and that's the easiest bit.

I don't find OMAM as hard, as the questions have been more specific.. But yeah, I'm trying to find examples of really good essays, to see how they put it, but the only site I can find is Marked by Teachers, and I can't afford that :s-smilie:

I would rather they did Curley's Wife in OMAM, but they did that recently so.. I dunno. I think my best one would be Lennie.

Wow, this was rambly... XD
Reply 9
Original post by PsychadelicScarf
I'm doing OMAM and AIC.

I dunno really... There will be one on a character(s) and one about the presentation of ideas in AIC, most likely...
I'd like it to be Shelia or Eric, as they actually change, that will be what the question will be about, and that's the easiest bit.

I don't find OMAM as hard, as the questions have been more specific.. But yeah, I'm trying to find examples of really good essays, to see how they put it, but the only site I can find is Marked by Teachers, and I can't afford that :s-smilie:

I would rather they did Curley's Wife in OMAM, but they did that recently so.. I dunno. I think my best one would be Lennie.

Wow, this was rambly... XD

haha i find them both hard! current is a b only because of my notes (which i obviously wont be allowed to use tomorrow)
i was hoping crooks :frown: i dont know how to apply ao2 to slim or curley? do you have any ideas?
Original post by emah123
i find that "what METHODS does steinbeck use to present lennie in this passage?" the word methods scares me hahaha, do you know any methods which are easy to remember for OMAM? :confused: :colondollar:

Methods are linguistic (e.g. repetition, similes, words, metaphors, etc) and structural (e.g. foreshadowing, placement of events, paragraph/sentence length) devices :smile:
Reply 11
OMAM:
Characters: It could be Slim, as from looking at past papers AQA likes to swap questions between foundation and higher and Slim was on foundation paper last year. It won't be Crooks, as he was in January. But it may be George or Lennie directly.
Themes: None of the themes came up yet, so it could be probably loneliness (and link that to a character of Candy, as he was back in 2011), failure of dreams or also nature.

AIC:
Characters: Mr Birling, Eric or Eva Smith, Edna could also come up and they may use her to ask you about how differences in gender are presented in the play.
Themes: young and old or as I said gender and stereotypes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emah123
do you have any links for sample essays on failure of dreams? thank you!

spent 1 hour looking for some. my teacher just gave me some lists of possible themes
For Of Mice And Men, my English department think it will be the American Dream for the theme. I'm hoping for a question on Crooks or Curley's Wife (but I'm doubting both of them).

I'm doing The Crucible (I am struggling to find anyone else that is doing it!) and I am DREADING it! It's a very good play with a lot to talk about... but I can't remember it... :/
I'm hoping for a question on Mary Warren, the Putnams, Loyalty or Fear.

In terms of techniques for OMAM, juxtaposition is a good one (it's when two things that contrast are placed near each-other, an example being when Lennie has just killed Curley's Wife and the sounds of the men playing outside can be heard) as it adds drama and emphasis.
Reply 14
Original post by Obliviate
OMAM:
Characters: It could be Slim, as from looking at past papers AQA likes to swap questions between foundation and higher and Slim was on foundation paper last year. It won't be Crooks, as he was in January. But it may be George or Lennie directly.
Themes: None of the themes came up yet, so it could be probably loneliness (and link that to a character of Candy, as he was back in 2011), failure of dreams or also nature.

AIC:
Characters: Mr Birling, Eric or Eva Smith, Edna could also come up and they may use her to ask you about how differences in gender are presented in the play.

Posted from TSR Mobile

could it be carlson? and what do you mean nature?
thank you!
Reply 15
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
For Of Mice And Men, my English department think it will be the American Dream for the theme. I'm hoping for a question on Crooks or Curley's Wife (but I'm doubting both of them).

I'm doing The Crucible (I am struggling to find anyone else that is doing it!) and I am DREADING it! It's a very good play with a lot to talk about... but I can't remember it... :/
I'm hoping for a question on Mary Warren, the Putnams, Loyalty or Fear.

In terms of techniques for OMAM, juxtaposition is a good one (it's when two things that contrast are placed near each-other, an example being when Lennie has just killed Curley's Wife and the sounds of the men playing outside can be heard) as it adds drama and emphasis.

ive not heard of anyone doing crucible!
thank you, and good luck!
Reply 16
Original post by emah123
could it be carlson? and what do you mean nature?
thank you!

It's very unlikely as he is too of a minor character, and not enough to write to even achieve band 5.
For nature, I think you could get the opening and how nature is used to present the failure of a dream or how it contrasts the bunkhouse. Nature will be linked to something in the story, as there's nothing really to write about on its own.

Posted from TSR Mobile
any themes for AIC??? or possible characters??
Reply 18
Original post by tazza ma razza
any themes for AIC??? or possible characters??

AIC:
derp, didnt see your previous post!

cheers though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending