The Student Room Group

Unskilled working class, semi-skilled, skilled artisans as a % of society makeup ???

This thread isn't about the income division but about the professions only.

I'm struggling to find any information on what is the actual percentage of ...

Unskilled working class (e.g Cleaners)

Semi-skilled working class (e.g Lorry drivers)

Skilled working class (e.g engineers)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Lower middle class (e.g teachers)

Middle middle class (e.g doctors, lawyers)

Upper middle class (usually those who own their own business [means of production] such as Bill Gates or a factory owner)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Upper class (born into Aristocratic gentry only - e.g David Cameron, George Osborne or those who were knighted like Baron Mandelson or Baroness Thatcher)

... as the percentage of British society members.

I'm roughly guessing that the three working classes are preoccupying about 70% of society. Upper class will be around less than 1%. The Upper middle around 5% and the rest will be lower/middle middle class. I might be totally wrong, but common sense suggests it's roughly like this.

Where would I be able to find the exact information about societal makeup of UK ?
Reply 1
Engineers as skilled working class:angry:

Upper class doesn't exist anymore. Just the very rich. The people who send the children to Eton nowadays work in business not family estates.

Anyway look at this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_British_Class_Survey
Reply 2
Lol engineers are skilled working class? Engineers =/= mechanics
I think now we have to divide people by economic class and social class.

A middle class buisiness man could become the richest man in the country and still not be considered upper class because of his background and lifestyle.
Original post by mucgoo
Engineers as skilled working class:angry:

Upper class doesn't exist anymore. Just the very rich. The people who send the children to Eton nowadays work in business not family estates.

Anyway look at this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_British_Class_Survey

Original post by bertstare

Original post by Jacob :)
I think now we have to divide people by economic class and social class.

A middle class buisiness man could become the richest man in the country and still not be considered upper class because of his background and lifestyle.

What would you classify an engineer as ? Lower middle ? It really depends as engineer could be anything from airplane engine engineer to one that deals with electricity etc.

Also,
this thread isn't another debate regarding the definition of social class but an actual simple question regarding information about societal makeup profession-wise if you like.

In theory, you can completely exclude the word 'social class' from the thread.

Tell me the societal makeup of the UK in terms of the professions.
Reply 5
Original post by Hermann Göring
What would you classify an engineer as ? Lower middle ? It really depends as engineer could be anything from airplane engine engineer to one that deals with electricity etc.

Car mechanics and electricians are NOT engineers. They're technician or mechanics.

Real engineers are chartered by various royal society of engineering which allows you to sign the legal document certifying an entire power plant as safe for example.
Original post by mucgoo
Car mechanics and electricians are NOT engineers. They're technician or mechanics.

Real engineers are chartered by various royal society of engineering which allows you to sign the legal document certifying an entire power plant as safe for example.

It would be good if, adding to definition, you could also state their percentage in societal makeup which is what the thread asks you douche.
Reply 7
Original post by mucgoo

That's a rather narrow definition. I know that most professional engineers do hold a CEng but it's not a job requirement. Furthermore, it's completely understandable why people make this mistake when engineers are usually just "the guy who fixes the boiler" etc. The confusion is in the definition of engineer and I wouldn't say civil/mechanical/electronic/aeronautical engineers have a monopoly on the name.
Original post by Hermann Göring

Engineering would definitely be middle-middle. It's a very highly skilled profession and is absolutely key to the UK economy.
Reply 9
Original post by bertstare

Don't be butthurt - for example take law, you can be drafting letters on starvation wages or avoiding tax on a hundred grand a year. My image of engineers - of all types - is practical, gets things done, class-blind. Instead most engineering students just seem snobby
Is there nothing in the 2011 census that could be of use?
Reply 11
Original post by scrotgrot
Don't be butthurt - for example take law, you can be drafting letters on starvation wages or avoiding tax on a hundred grand a year. My image of engineers - of all types - is practical, gets things done, class-blind. Instead most engineering students just seem snobby

I'm not studying engineering, why would I be butthurt... it's a difficult degree/profession and generally average salaries are relatively high

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending