The Student Room Group

AQA A2 French 14th June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Connie
Yes please!!
How do you find writing about the stories?
We did l'Etranger and Mai 68, both of which are impossible to write about :frown:

We're doing l'Etranger too, it was so difficult for me to get my head around it at first! I'm dreading this exam :frown: Are you learning any of your essays?
Reply 41
Original post by Connie
Yes please!!
How do you find writing about the stories?
We did l'Etranger and Mai 68, both of which are impossible to write about :frown:

SIGH we've done Mai 68, too :frown: We haven't been taught the history section very well at all and we've never done a history essay, so I'm just going to focus on Molière
Reply 42
Original post by cornflaked
Is anyone doing 'Tartuffe' by Moliere? Because my friend and I hated 'Kiffe Kiffe Demain' which everyone else in our class was doing, so we taught 'Tartuffe' to ourselves, so we've got no real idea of the vocab needed for the theatre, we've had no guidance as to how to address a question on a play and we've got no revision materials whatsoever... So if anyone has any revision materials for 'Tartuffe' I would literally be indebted to them forever. My essay marks have been so inconsistent and I have no idea how well I'll do in the exam D: *fear* The other cultural topic I'm doing is Mai 68 which I love, but it's hard to remember all the details and history essays are always so much harder than literature.

Thanks so much for that translation practice though :biggrin: Love TSR <3

We're focussing on his play 'Dom Juan', although we have looked through 'Tartuffe'! I don't have any revision materials, but in terms of theatre-related vocab, you could just look up lists of techniques etc in English then look them up in a dictionary :smile: I don't think you need too much technical vocab, but adding things like: les personnages, la scène, le dénouement, le personnage éponyme (for when you refer to the character Tartuffe, for example :smile: ) are good to include.
Original post by chessjohnston
im terrfied

SAME. Supposed to be getting at least an A in this exam, but I'm finding it impossible to revise anything.
Studying Le Petit Prince and La Haine for cultural topics, I always do alright in the writing section.

But translation, reading and listening = KILL ME NOW. :frown:
Reply 44
Original post by sganarelle
We're focussing on his play 'Dom Juan', although we have looked through 'Tartuffe'! I don't have any revision materials, but in terms of theatre-related vocab, you could just look up lists of techniques etc in English then look them up in a dictionary :smile: I don't think you need too much technical vocab, but adding things like: les personnages, la scène, le dénouement, le personnage éponyme (for when you refer to the character Tartuffe, for example :smile: ) are good to include.

Thank you! Ahaha, in light of the play you're studying, I like your username :wink: Grrr, that's really annoying because I used 'le personnage éponyme' in an essay once and my teacher circled it and wrote 'no' because apparently it's too high register. *not impressed*

What kind of things are you revising about Dom Juan, and how are you revising (mindmaps, essay plans etc.)? I'm thinking of going over all the important themes/techniques/characters and finding examples from the text to illustrate them. What else could they ask us on? Do we need to know about Moliere's influences and background? (Also do you have any drama essay titles that aren't from past papers?)

Sorry for all the questions but I'm kind of desperate haha :P Thanks again :smile:
Reply 45
Good luck everyone! I'm so worried for this exam, need an A :frown: is anyone else doing Colette?
Original post by Shakespearian
SAME. Supposed to be getting at least an A in this exam, but I'm finding it impossible to revise anything.
Studying Le Petit Prince and La Haine for cultural topics, I always do alright in the writing section.

Im the complete opposite!!! I always do fine in the reading listening and translation but the writing kills me? how do you write your essays? any tips haha
Reply 47
Thank you! Ahaha, in light of the play you're studying, I like your username :wink: Grrr, that's really annoying because I used 'le personnage éponyme' in an essay once and my teacher circled it and wrote 'no' because apparently it's too high register. *not impressed*

What kind of things are you revising about Dom Juan, and how are you revising (mindmaps, essay plans etc.)? I'm thinking of going over all the important themes/techniques/characters and finding examples from the text to illustrate them. What else could they ask us on? Do we need to know about Moliere's influences and background? (Also do you have any drama essay titles that aren't from past papers?)

Sorry for all the questions but I'm kind of desperate haha :P Thanks again :smile:

Hahaha I created my account after a bit of revision and I couldn't think of a name :smile: That's a little strange, I would have thought that 'personnage éponyme' would have been fine, considering it's a normal term to use in a literary essay.

I've just been going through the play, making mindmaps for characters and themes etc :smile:

I don't have any other questions, sorry! But realistically, they can only ask us a certain number of questions. I've been through all the past papers and specimen and I can't find a question about the ending of the play, so perhaps a question about that? I don't think there has been a question directly related to characters, either. They've asked a question about whether the purpose of theatre is to make us reflect, so they could maybe ask about other aims like to educate/entertain.

In terms of the background, I'm not sure! I'm not entirely sure how they would work that into a question, other than perhaps whether the audience reaction today vs the past. We haven't done very much background at school other than the fact that Molière is a 17th century writer, he had links with the King, he was religious etc, and absolutely nothing at all on influences :frown: I think that if there's a question like that, I'll just opt for the other :smile:

Edit:
I just found this on the AQA site regarding context!
AQA will not set questions specifically on the context of the work of a dramatist / poet. It may, however, in some cases, be appropriate for your students to study some background information in order to analyse the themes of or influences on the artist. It is for this reason that the bullet point is included in the specification.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by chessjohnston
Im the complete opposite!!! I always do fine in the reading listening and translation but the writing kills me? how do you write your essays? any tips haha

Just like its an English essay. Make the main point at the start of a paragraph, state about 3-5 bits of evidence and explain how they support the point. Also, don't forget to put in your own judgement, which is really important.

I have a sheet of essay extension phrases if you want me to post it on the wall :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you work your own judgement into the essay exactly? Do you just make your own judgement in the conclusion or do you make smaller conclusions throughout too?

So if I took the example of the book I'm doing I'd say something about the chapters not being in chronological order, then I'd explain a bit and state what effect this had on the book and the possible reasons as to why the author did this. Then my personal judgment would be whether or not I liked this technique and depending how you phrase it the reasons the technique was used and how it impacted the book could also be a personal judgement. This is a really good place to use the conditional perfect "il aurait été mieux si..." = it would've been better if

I think that this is a lot harder to do if your cultural topics include a period of time or a region in France.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Hahaha I created my account after a bit of revision and I couldn't think of a name :smile: That's a little strange, I would have thought that 'personnage éponyme' would have been fine, considering it's a normal term to use in a literary essay.

I've just been going through the play, making mindmaps for characters and themes etc :smile:

I don't have any other questions, sorry! But realistically, they can only ask us a certain number of questions. I've been through all the past papers and specimen and I can't find a question about the ending of the play, so perhaps a question about that? I don't think there has been a question directly related to characters, either. They've asked a question about whether the purpose of theatre is to make us reflect, so they could maybe ask about other aims like to educate/entertain.

In terms of the background, I'm not sure! I'm not entirely sure how they would work that into a question, other than perhaps whether the audience reaction today vs the past. We haven't done very much background at school other than the fact that Molière is a 17th century writer, he had links with the King, he was religious etc, and absolutely nothing at all on influences :frown: I think that if there's a question like that, I'll just opt for the other :smile:

Edit:
I just found this on the AQA site regarding context!
AQA will not set questions specifically on the context of the work of a dramatist / poet. It may, however, in some cases, be appropriate for your students to study some background information in order to analyse the themes of or influences on the artist. It is for this reason that the bullet point is included in the specification.

Yeah, I thought so too. I'm going to go with what your teacher says :P I think my teacher's just a bit annoyed that I didn't like the book she chose (which is fair enough haha).

Cool, that was my plan too, plus practice essays.

Good points, thank you! I did wonder about whether they'd ask us about the end. But I'm not sure what I'd be able to say since it's a deus ex machina ending in Tartuffe (where the 'deus' is the King haha), so it just seems to me like Moliere's sucking up to the King... which isn't much of a literary essay.

Thank you for that info about context! Yeah, I read it on the specification, which is why I was thinking they might ask us about it. Relief! :smile:

You've basically just me soulagée beaucoup. So ta for all of that :biggrin:

I have a sheet of essay extension phrases if you want me to post it on the wall :smile:

That would be really helpful, yes please, if you could! :biggrin:
Reply 51
Original post by dreadpiraterach
We're doing l'Etranger too, it was so difficult for me to get my head around it at first! I'm dreading this exam :frown: Are you learning any of your essays?

I'm going to attempt the history essay instead of the novel one because I always do so badly on the novel ones. I don't think I'm going to learn them, I may try and prepare a few of the novel ones just to be safe.

But there are only a few things they can ask you about the novel - characters, the themes, how the author's life influences the book...
Just like its an English essay. Make the main point at the start of a paragraph, state about 3-5 bits of evidence and explain how they support the point. Also, don't forget to put in your own judgement, which is really important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that would be great if you could ! Im doing la haine and i always find it easy to write point evidence and then my judgement but the bit inbetween about how it supports the point is always the hardest i think!
Subbed. :smile:

I need an A* in this ideally, which is unlikely because of how unpredictable the essays are (and the translations, to a lesser extent).

We studied Amelie Nothomb's book Acide Sulfurique and the works of director Jean Luc Godard for our cultural topics, and although I preferred the novel my teacher didn't like it so we haven't looked at her in any detail since Christmas. Much to my annoyance, I think I'm going to have to do the film essay and hope that my utter dislike of Godard and his films won't hinder me too much!
Reply 54
Anyone doing Baudelaire? No idea how to do the translations either! :frown:
Reply 55
Original post by Simonon
Anyone doing Baudelaire? No idea how to do the translations either! :frown:

I'm not doing Baudelaire but just in case you haven't seen it, there's a 40/40 mark exemplar essay from 2011 on the AQA website, page 48 onwards of this pdf: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2650-W-TRB-CEXW-E-U3-1103.PDF Might help give you some ideas? :smile: The title is 'Analysez les techniques utilisées par le dramaturge ou le poète que vous avez étudié pour exprimer ses idées. Quelles techniques est-ce que vous trouvez les plus efficaces?'

Also someone posted some translation practices on this thread on page 2 (I think)? :smile:

I've attached a Powerpoint my teacher gave us with translation practice (English to French) - you have to play the presentation, otherwise all the answers just come up on the same slide :P Hope it's useful to someone :smile:

Edit: oops, didn't attach it. I don't think you can edit in attachments so I've posted it a couple of posts below. Sorry!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56

Im doing exactly the same two cultural topics, do u know if you are doing le petit prince or la haine?
Reply 57
I'm not doing Baudelaire but just in case you haven't seen it, there's a 40/40 mark exemplar essay from 2011 on the AQA website, page 48 onwards of this pdf: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2650-W-TRB-CEXW-E-U3-1103.PDF Might help give you some ideas? :smile: The title is 'Analysez les techniques utilisées par le dramaturge ou le poète que vous avez étudié pour exprimer ses idées. Quelles techniques est-ce que vous trouvez les plus efficaces?'

Also someone posted some translation practices on this thread on page 2 (I think)? :smile:

I've attached a Powerpoint my teacher gave us with translation practice (English to French) - you have to play the presentation, otherwise all the answers just come up on the same slide :P Hope it's useful to someone :smile:

Thank you! That's really helpful! :biggrin: Where's the Powerpoint, sorry? :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by Simonon
Thank you! That's really helpful! :biggrin: Where's the Powerpoint, sorry? :smile:

... whoops :P I thought I'd attached it but clearly not. Here you go!
Original post by Connie
I'm going to attempt the history essay instead of the novel one because I always do so badly on the novel ones. I don't think I'm going to learn them, I may try and prepare a few of the novel ones just to be safe.

But there are only a few things they can ask you about the novel - characters, the themes, how the author's life influences the book...

I'm the opposite- the literature is easier for me, and when it was a choice between learning about 200 or so pages of a book or learning about 6 years of history, I went for the book :tongue:

So scared about this exam... I hate how the essay could be anything. I suppose you can say the same about the translation as well. Definitely not looking forward to Friday!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending