The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It depends on the exact cirumstances. If I wanted to hire a joiner I would higher the person with an NQL in Joinery rather than a person with an econmics from Oxford.

However if I wanted to employ a web developer I would go for a person with a degree even if they lacked work experience.
Reply 2
I think a degree would be more "powerful" than other vocational qualifications and apprenticeships. To be on the safe side, I should go to uni.
Reply 3
What do you want to do as a job? I did NVQ Level 3 ICT for about 3 weeks. It was so easy it bored the **** out of me to be honest.

Going to University will be more of a challange unless you go to a very bad one.
Reply 4
amazingtrade
What do you want to do as a job? I did NVQ Level 3 ICT for about 3 weeks. It was so easy it bored the **** out of me to be honest.

Going to University will be more of a challange unless you go to a very bad one.

Not quite sure yet, but I want a job related to IT.
Reply 5
trev1122
Not quite sure yet, but I want a job related to IT.

Then a degree is a must. To get a good job in I.T you need a good degree and plenty of work experience. The degree will you a basic job at first such as coding but after a year or even months you will soon be promoted if you're any good.
Reply 6
amazingtrade
It depends on the exact cirumstances. If I wanted to hire a joiner I would higher the person with an NQL in Joinery rather than a person with an econmics from Oxford.

However if I wanted to employ a web developer I would go for a person with a degree even if they lacked work experience.

Wrong, web developer stuff doesn't require ANY degree knowledge, you can get vocational type training to be a web developer. Infact a number of friends who aren't doing degrees have jobs as web developers, the stuff required isn't exactly degree level stuff.
Reply 7
amazingtrade
Then a degree is a must. To get a good job in I.T you need a good degree and plenty of work experience. The degree will you a basic job at first such as coding but after a year or even months you will soon be promoted if you're any good.

No actually it isn't a *must* although it certainly does help, again I know a number of people in the field without a degree [related or non-related]. Work experience is good, but not TOO much, there seems to be alot of age discrimination in the industry. Vocational training can still get you in the field though, and many a times these employers send you on courses anyway.
I guess it depends on what type of IT you want to do, for things like database admin, and IT support you don't always need a degree, mainly training. For something like an IT consultant you will obviously need a degree.
Reply 8
All the jobs I've seen on totlajobs etc for web database developer all say you need a degree. I am not talking about making websites using frontpage here I am talking about making full blown database drive sites that kind of thing.
Reply 9
amazingtrade
All the jobs I've seen on totlajobs etc for web database developer all say you need a degree. I am not talking about making websites using frontpage here I am talking about making full blown database drive sites that kind of thing.

And what I meant was it depended on the qualifcation, I would not higer a person with a NVQ in Joinery for a web developers job. Where as if they had a degree in say History I would as its more likely they would be more diverse and they may find it easier to learn new skills.
Reply 10
amazingtrade

full blown database driven sites are still pretty easy though, you can take a course to learn it, btw are you talking about in house then? cuz if the guy wants to be a web developer he could go freelance, then only your portfolio will matter.Still though most of the web developer jobs now usually can be filled by people who have finished school after 18. Then the company will either send him on a course or make him learn from other workers there. Also, well in truth web developer jobs don't pay very well now...here take a listen:
from Computer Weekly 24th Feb
Advertisement for Web Designer/Developer
Strong skills in HTML, Dreamweaver, Flash and knowledge of Javascript, DHTML, JSP, XML, XHTML and strong interface design.
salary: C.£25k...depending on experience.

Well anyway it doesn't mention degree, niether do the other web devel ones, whereas software developer ones etc do seem to want one.
Reply 11
amazingtrade
And what I meant was it depended on the qualifcation, I would not higer a person with a NVQ in Joinery for a web developers job. Where as if they had a degree in say History I would as its more likely they would be more diverse and they may find it easier to learn new skills.

I'd definatley ask the historian dude why he wants to leave his essays and suddenly do web development though :d

Latest

Trending

Trending