The Student Room Group

Chinese Edexcel A2 Exam June 18th

Is there ANYONE else out there taking Chinese A2 or doing the exam next month?

Would be nice to see if anyone else is in the same boat as me, translation is a huge pain...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm also taking my Chinese A2 this year, and I find translations a struggle... What is the topic for your RBE?
Reply 2
Original post by B09MeTan
I'm also taking my Chinese A2 this year, and I find translations a struggle... What is the topic for your RBE?

Whoah, nice to find someone else doing A2!

I'm writing about Lu Xun's 'Old Home' (魯迅 《故鄉》)

How about you?

Translation can be quite a pain, I've been looking at some old syllabus papers for revision that my teacher gave me and the passages can be quite tricky
Reply 3
I am doing it, even though I wanted to get my entry pulled out. Left it too late. xD
I'm worried mostly about the research based essay ! Argh !
Reply 4
Original post by Loquacious
I am doing it, even though I wanted to get my entry pulled out. Left it too late. xD
I'm worried mostly about the research based essay ! Argh !

Haha, that's unfortunate!

What topic are you doing for the essay?
Reply 5
For the research-based essay, I'm going to focus on environment, economy, or social issues of Beijing.
I would like to write about 魯迅 《故鄉》, but I couldn't get hold of a copy of it.
Hi guys, in Chinese and I can't write mandarin/Cantonese at all but good luck with your exam!
Reply 7
Original post by Y_123456
For the research-based essay, I'm going to focus on environment, economy, or social issues of Beijing.
I would like to write about 魯迅 《故鄉》, but I couldn't get hold of a copy of it.
百度知道: http://zhidao.baidu.com/question/74739523.html
Reply 8
Can i ask a question cuz i am quite curious here.
Is Chinese your mother tongue? If yes or no, how hard do you find the exam?
Reply 9

Thank you for the link.
I think I'm gonna stick with Beijing though. I won't be able to prepare for 《故乡》in time.
Reply 10
Thank you for the link.
I think I'm gonna stick with Beijing though. I won't be able to prepare for 《故乡》in time.

That's a shame, it's a pretty enjoyable read / interesting to write about
Good luck with your essay though, have you finished drafting it?
Reply 11
Original post by JackTeh96
Can i ask a question cuz i am quite curious here.
Is Chinese your mother tongue? If yes or no, how hard do you find the exam?

Chinese isn't my mother tongue, but I've had Chinese lessons for years

Only thing I find difficult is translating English to Chinese really
Reply 12
Original post by garyheehee
That's a shame, it's a pretty enjoyable read / interesting to write about
Good luck with your essay though, have you finished drafting it?

Nope. Not yet. I'm more focused on my other exams at the moment. However I have made notes, just need to put them together. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
hi everyone, could you give me some help? so i've been trying to work out the UMS points to see what i need to get an overall A for my Chinese A level but if i've worked it out right (which i really hope i haven't) it said that i can't get an A even if i score full marks 80/80 in the A2 paper...! Freaking out as I need an A for uni. I was one mark off an A for the AS paper which was 79/100 so if 79 + 80 for second paper = 159 this is a B which means that I'm not eligible for an A overall?! Am I right in saying that an A for the whole A Level is 160/200? I'm so freaking scared...can someone tell me if I am working the calculations out wrong or if I'm right and I'm basically screwed lol. I thought that I could still get an A overall with my high B in AS. Surely the grade boundaries aren't that tight?

Any help/feedback would be much appreciated!
Thanks x
Reply 14
Because A2 is only out of 80 raw marks, the conversion to UMS is for 100 marks. I don't know if it is the same this year but last year, 64/80 marks meant 100/100 UMS marks. So it is possible for you to get an A
Reply 15
Nope. Not yet. I'm more focused on my other exams at the moment. However I have made notes, just need to put them together. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh same, good thing Chinese is my last exam!

By the way, do you know if we need to have a 'planning sheet' that we take into the exam? My teacher kept telling me about a 70 word plan that I need to write, but I'm not sure...

Has your teacher told / given you anything? :confused:
Reply 16
Original post by B09MeTan
Because A2 is only out of 80 raw marks, the conversion to UMS is for 100 marks. I don't know if it is the same this year but last year, 64/80 marks meant 100/100 UMS marks. So it is possible for you to get an A

thank you so much! i did think that, since A2 is worth more than AS... you've reassured me so much. thanks!!
Reply 17
Original post by garyheehee
Ahh same, good thing Chinese is my last exam!

By the way, do you know if we need to have a 'planning sheet' that we take into the exam? My teacher kept telling me about a 70 word plan that I need to write, but I'm not sure...

Has your teacher told / given you anything? :confused:

I have no idea, but I'm going to get all the help I can get, so I'm taking the planning sheet. :P
Reply 18
Hi everyone, I only got the past paper and example of exam planning, I am still confused by the RBE :frown:. Does any know if my reference resource if from internet shell i just write the website on the end of the essay?
For example i want to talk about traditions festival but i can not find any books about it :frown: shell i just write the website down?
BTW, have any body got examples of a full research based essay? Really want to have a look at it to see what shell i write :/
Reply 19
Original post by DOBU_B
Hi everyone, I only got the past paper and example of exam planning, I am still confused by the RBE :frown:. Does any know if my reference resource if from internet shell i just write the website on the end of the essay?
For example i want to talk about traditions festival but i can not find any books about it :frown: shell i just write the website down?
BTW, have any body got examples of a full research based essay? Really want to have a look at it to see what shell i write :/

You can just write the website at the end of the essay

There are examples of full research based essays on the edexcel website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending