The Student Room Group

OCR (not MEI) S1 24/5 [Unofficial MS]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Nina8
And can ANYONE please help me with June 2010 Q1 (iii) Q2 (iii) and all of Q8! Thankyou

Q1 (iii) is 55-14= 41
Q2 (iii) is 1/3 * 1/2 * 1 = 1/6 or you can do it as 1/3! because the three numbers can be arranged in 2! different ways

Q8: It's geometric so G(0.3)
a) P(X=4)=0.3 x 0.7^3 =0.1029 so 0.103
b) P(X<4)= 1- 0.7^3= 0.657

ii) A) Binomial and in order to have 2 viewers in 5, the last person will have to be a viewer so there must have been another viewer in the first 4 people so [4C1 x 0.3 x 0.7^3 ] x (0.3) = 0.123
B) P(X>5) so either you have no viewers in the first 5 or you have 1 viewer and need one more so [ 0.7^5] + [5C1 x 0.3 x 0.7^4 ] = 0.528
Reply 61
Original post by bardsleyp
Why is the sum to infinity of a geometric series sometimes a/1-r^2 instead of a/1-r , for example june 2012 Last question ?

It isn't! Its always a/1-r but if you look at the question the ratio is (0.95)^2. Youre multiplying 0.95^2 because the clock is chiming twice, once at an hour and once every half an hour x
Reply 62
Why is the sum to infinity of a geometric series sometimes a/1-r^2 instead of a/1-r , for example june 2012 Last question ?

I did that paper as a mock.

For the specific question, you know that a = 1 / 20 since this is the change of 'success', and r is 19 / 20.
The difference between each 'half hours' (ie 0:30 -> 1:30) is r^2. And because this is specifically what you are looking for, you can change your common ratio into r^2, which allows you to use the sum to infinity to find the probability.
Original post by Nina8
I did it as a mock :smile: AND no worries I get it now thankyou :biggrin: I think the range bit threw me off, but if its possible can you post up how to do 8 (ii) still doesnt make any sense
Pm me your email and Ill send Jan '13 to you if you like

Thank you that would be great! and sure I'll post my answer to 8 (ii). Oh someone beat me to it!

It's always a/1-r, it just happend that r = (19/20)^2 but you can also write r=0.9025
(edited 10 years ago)
Has anyone got a link to Jan '13? Would be much appreciated!
Original post by DanielCook95
Has anyone got a link to Jan '13? Would be much appreciated!

I only have the paper, no MS. :smile:
Original post by purplemind
I only have the paper, no MS. :smile:

Thank you! :wink:
Reply 67
Q1 (iii) is 55-14= 41
Q2 (iii) is 1/3 * 1/2 * 1 = 1/6 or you can do it as 1/3! because the three numbers can be arranged in 2! different ways

Q8: It's geometric so G(0.3)
a) P(X=4)=0.3 x 0.7^3 =0.1029 so 0.103
b) P(X<4)= 1- 0.7^3= 0.657

ii) A) Binomial and in order to have 2 viewers in 5, the last person will have to be a viewer so there must have been another viewer in the first 4 people so [4C1 x 0.3 x 0.7^3 ] x (0.3) = 0.123
B) P(X>5) so either you have no viewers in the first 5 or you have 1 viewer and need one more so [ 0.7^5] + [5C1 x 0.3 x 0.7^4 ] = 0.528

You're a star! Thankyou :biggrin:

And last June 12 q8 part b
Reply 68
Anyone? June 12 Q8 part B? Like I understand your combinations are 4 4 2 and 4 3 3 but why do you take them individually? cant it be 2 4 4 or 4 2 4 and the same for that and agh so confused :frown:
Original post by Nina8
Anyone? June 12 Q8 part B? Like I understand your combinations are 4 4 2 and 4 3 3 but why do you take them individually? cant it be 2 4 4 or 4 2 4 and the same for that and agh so confused :frown:

You're right! that's part of the mark scheme as well, you multiply your P(4,3,3) and P(4,4,2) each by 3, because there are 3 possible arrangements of those numbers (taking into account the double 3 and double 4).
Reply 70
hello does anyone have the formula for standard deviation or variance in a question where i am given frequency table
thanks
Reply 71
Original post by aran0909
hello does anyone have the formula for standard deviation or variance in a question where i am given frequency table
thanks

Root :sum of (x^2f / sum of f) - mean^2
Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 72
June 2009 - Q3

Can anyone help me explain what the vertical dotted lines between the points and the regression line represent. I kind of understand but on the mark scheme it says line given by minimum sum of squares. I'm not quite sure what this means...?
Reply 73
Good luck everyone hopefully we'll be grinning in 12 hours time :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by JamesWire
June 2009 - Q3

Can anyone help me explain what the vertical dotted lines between the points and the regression line represent. I kind of understand but on the mark scheme it says line given by minimum sum of squares. I'm not quite sure what this means...?

The lines are the deviations from the line of best fit. The regression line is the line that minimises these deviations

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
June 2009 - Q3

They represent least squares regression where , the least values of the difference (x and the line) are squared between each point and the regression line. (Basically the regression line rotates so that it fits with the points with the smallest sum of the differences squared) I hope that makes sense and is helpful :smile:
June 2009 - Q3

It's the line where the sum of all of the individual deviations of the points from the line are at their minimum (or to be precise, the sum of the squared deviations from the line ie. sum of squares)
Reply 77
Is anyone else hoping histograms don't come up? Or is it just me that finds them incredibly annoying?

ALSO, with regards to regression:
Say you're finding the equation of the regression line, and your value of B is something like 0.4325345954935... would you round that to 0.433? Or what?
Reply 78
Guys Jan 2013 answers are on youtube with all working http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQU-pt2vslU
Reply 79
Original post by TheMan100
Is anyone else hoping histograms don't come up? Or is it just me that finds them incredibly annoying?

ALSO, with regards to regression:
Say you're finding the equation of the regression line, and your value of B is something like 0.4325345954935... would you round that to 0.433? Or what?

Yes to both.

I hate all of the histograms / cumulative frequency because those 0.5 bounds are just a pain and all the questions they ask are tedious. They aren't always difficult, just as you said, 'incredibly annoying'.

For regression, when you are providing your final equation, you can round the points to 3SF. Prior to that, i highly discourage it. A misplaced rounding can screw your 'a' value as well as your 'b' so I would first write out your equation in 'full' (to like 6sf) and then round off from there, maybe even by explicitly saying '0.433 to 3sf'

Anyway, I'm going off now guys so I wish you all luck for tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending