The Student Room Group

Is the north of England better to live in than the South?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
The south has too many people, no greggs and everything seems so expensive.
Reply 61
It's generally a nicer place to live.
Reply 62
I've lived in the North all my life and I can't really imagine me ever wanting to stay down south for long. I spent a few days in Tunbridge Wells a couple of years ago and I saw virtually every stereotype of the south in that time. I think what really summed it up was someone walking along the street drinking bottled water and then throwing the bottle in the bin (i.e. not recycling) when there was still nearly half the bottle left. He essentially paid a few quid to have a couple of mouthfuls of water and punch the environment in the gonads.

I study at a nothern university and I've noticed that the a lot of the locals seem to have this stereotype that all students are posh southerns with tons of money who are noisey and obnoxious. While there are plenty of students like this, it's still frustrating that we're all painted with the same brush.
On the other hand, when I go back home I'm on the other end of the stereotype, as a 'local' I'm apparently an inbred half wit despite the fact that I too attend a university. And a good one at that.
(edited 10 years ago)
I would say north is better, but i'm a scouser living in the countryside down south so i'm biased.
Although the north has friendlier people, the south has a higher quality of life, lower crime rate ( except London) and less unemployment so I would say its better to live in the south!
Reply 65
Original post by WhiteWalker
I am just curious. I live in the south of England and the people are so much different than up north. I have noticed that people up north are generally more friendly & welcoming than here in the south. I think the friendliness of the people is a huge plus when it comes to living somewhere.

Anyway, your opinions on this?

I am not sure how much it depends on your location, just how integrated you are in the community :redface:
Anywhere free of immigrants is nice to live.
Original post by echelonprincess
I would say north is better, but i'm a scouser living in the countryside down south so i'm biased.

We will conquer all of England :colone:
Reply 68
Original post by WhiteWalker
I am just curious. I live in the south of England and the people are so much different than up north. I have noticed that people up north are generally more friendly & welcoming than here in the south. I think the friendliness of the people is a huge plus when it comes to living somewhere.

Anyway, your opinions on this?

Well I live in the South and would probably agree with you. But then, I've never lived up North, only stayed up there for weekends and such like. Still, the South of England is pretty bad.
It's all about the west, the land of weed, cider and farmers.
I'll admit it. Northern People are generally more open and hence, nicer.

However, it's not a patch on people from Ontario Canada! Everyone is pretty much an old friend!

That's the place to be :wink:
Original post by RealEuropean

Oh yes, Stevenage is a haven-paradise isn't it?
I think both places have their advantages and disadvantages...but as a northerner, I have to say the north is better! Although I wouldn't mind if it was a bit warmer up here...
Reply 73
I'm from London, and I find the idea of talking to people on public transport so weird. Is it not just all awkward conversations and small-talk. I wouldn't ignore someone if they asked me a question but properly talking to someone would feel odd. I like to just listen to my iPod instead.
Reply 74
Original post by cloud1
The south has too many people, no greggs and everything seems so expensive.

Loads of Greggs down in london. Not only that but we have Wenszel's too which is much better and cheaper.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by RealEuropean

What's wrong with immigrants? As long as it's all legal =D Being surrounded by people of different cultures is interesting, one of the things I look forward to when I go to Uni :smile:
I've only ever lived in the North, so I'd like to try living down south. But I want to live just outside a big city
When I went up north for an interview, outside the city centre (Manchester) it looked abit run down tbh. Id prefer to stay in and around London.
Original post by AtomicMan
When I went up north for an interview, outside the city centre (Manchester) it looked abit run down tbh. Id prefer to stay in and around London.

Same- I personally think the South is better and usually its warmer as well :smile:
I'd say each has their own +'s and -'s if I'm to be honest. I've become more neutral since attending uni as a good portion of my friends are from the north. I liked the north anyway, just with no experience of living there, I have no basis to make a formal decision on it.

Quick Reply

Latest