The Student Room Group

how important are Alevels after a degree

i have CDD at Alevel, looking to resit but feeling a bit lazy..can I get away with it? I want to become a psychologist...help please...
Training to become a psychologist after your undergraduate degree is extremely competitive, your qualifications are important but your degree is more important than A-levels; no postgraduate training course I've seen asks for specific A-level grades, however you will be competing against people who have a consistently strong academic record.

You will need a minimum of a 2.1 in psychology to be considered, and 2+ years experience working in a related field, e.g. in an assistant psychologist post. You say you're feeling lazy which is your reason not to resit your A-levels; if you have this attitude going into your degree and when looking for work experience you will struggle to meet the requirements so you will need to rethink this if you want a shot at becoming a psychologist.
Hey, Are you doing A2 now?
By the title you are hoping to go to uni?

Not many uni's accept CDD at A level. Your options are to resit or do an college course maybe?

If your hoping to go into uni, I don't think laziness is really an excuse. Uni is hard work regardless of what people say about having fun. What A levels are you doing?
Reply 3
Original post by cyn_purple
Hey, Are you doing A2 now?
By the title you are hoping to go to uni?

Not many uni's accept CDD at A level. Your options are to resit or do an college course maybe?

If your hoping to go into uni, I don't think laziness is really an excuse. Uni is hard work regardless of what people say about having fun. What A levels are you doing?

I have finish alevels did psychology sociology and English...taking a gap year have already got a uni place
Reply 4
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Training to become a psychologist after your undergraduate degree is extremely competitive, your qualifications are important but your degree is more important than A-levels; no postgraduate training course I've seen asks for specific A-level grades, however you will be competing against people who have a consistently strong academic record.

You will need a minimum of a 2.1 in psychology to be considered, and 2+ years experience working in a related field, e.g. in an assistant psychologist post. You say you're feeling lazy which is your reason not to resit your A-levels; if you have this attitude going into your degree and when looking for work experience you will struggle to meet the requirements so you will need to rethink this if you want a shot at becoming a psychologist.

thank you for the advice...well its due to laziness and the fact I got a child lol.
Reply 5
I've also been thinking about this lately because I've heard that some graduate employers require you to have a minimum number of ucas points but I've always thought that your degree takes precedence as isn't the most recent qualification/experience most important of all? :redface:
Reply 6
Original post by Fortitude
I've also been thinking about this lately because I've heard that some graduate employers require you to have a minimum number of ucas points but I've always thought that your degree takes precedence as isn't the most recent qualification/experience most important of all? :redface:

thats what i thought but apparently i am wrong
Reply 7
Original post by joseygal16
thats what i thought but apparently i am wrong

Because you've finished your A levels, there's not much you can do now I guess, you could retake some units if you wanted to but I have no idea how that works or I think you should just try your best in your degree, must be hard enough as it is with a child so well done though for getting a uni place. Good Luck for the future though :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Fortitude
Because you've finished your A levels, there's not much you can do now I guess, you could retake some units if you wanted to but I have no idea how that works or I think you should just try your best in your degree, must be hard enough as it is with a child so well done though for getting a uni place. Good Luck for the future though :smile:

thank you...much appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending