The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Poetry Relationships 23rd May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Is To His Coy Mistress about unrequited love?
Reply 101
what poem to compare sonnet 116 to?
Reply 102
For unseen poetry, do you need a conclusion?
Original post by Zobkk
For unseen poetry, do you need a conclusion?

you need a conclusion summarizing the message of the poem and your feelings towards the poem. Conclusions in unseen poetry are crucial!
Original post by cleveradam

Sonnet 43 maybe? Both take a sonnet form and show an intense love for another person which is constant

Hour i think is good because of love vs. time
Original post by zebrasarekool
Hour i think is good because of love vs. time

Yeah I agree with this. You can compare with Sonnet 43 too but I think in terms of the content and analytically, you'll get much out of it if you compare Hour with Sonnet 116.

Really don't want To His Coy Mistress but all of the other poems I'm quite strong on. We'll see how it goes, I guess!
Reply 107
Could someone mark a sample of my comparison? :[ I honestly don't know how to structure my answer and I really need some guidance :[ Thank you
Reply 108
hey I want to know what things you need to write like themes,languages and structure and what else?
Original post by Motivated
Could someone mark a sample of my comparison? :[ I honestly don't know how to structure my answer and I really need some guidance :[ Thank you

I could if you want, looked at so many examples in class so far
Original post by Sandra1
hey I want to know what things you need to write like themes,languages and structure and what else?

Think this:

- Language (what words have been used, think about why)
- Form (what form the poem is in e.g. sonnet)
- Structure (how is it laid out, iambic pentameter etc)

Does anybody know how you can compare Sonnet 116 to Hour? I really don't know how!
sonnet 116 and hour are both shakespearian sonnets - yet hour breaks some conventions (eg breaks to show how the lovers are interrupted by time) sonnet 116 keeps to these conventions is one way!
Original post by ryanroks1
Think this:

- Language (what words have been used, think about why)
- Form (what form the poem is in e.g. sonnet)
- Structure (how is it laid out, iambic pentameter etc)

Does anybody know how you can compare Sonnet 116 to Hour? I really don't know how!

s116: time doesnt define love, 'edge of doom' love will last forever nothing can destroy it, love wins between love and time

hour: references to fairytales, 'cuckoo spit' metaphor for time destroying their love, time takes away youth and beauty, time wins
Reply 113
Original post by ryanroks1
I could if you want, looked at so many examples in class so far

Thanks, I sent you a private message x
Reply 114
please can someone tell me what poems will not come up in the higher paper plz :biggrin:
Reply 115
It's so annoying how we don't know what poems are going to come up, does anyone have any ideas on what poems could come up? And have they repeated any of the poems in past exams
Reply 116
Original post by mxureen
It's so annoying how we don't know what poems are going to come up, does anyone have any ideas on what poems could come up? And have they repeated any of the poems in past exams

Ghazal/Sonnet 116/To His Coy Mistress are very likely to come up

I'm praying for Sonnet 116!
Reply 117
Original post by muna88
please can someone tell me what poems will not come up in the higher paper plz :biggrin:

In Paris with You, Brothers, Sister Maude :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 118
Original post by mxureen

Any poem could come up.
Reply 119
Ghazal/Sonnet 116/To His Coy Mistress are very likely to come up

I'm praying for Sonnet 116!

Same because I've actually learnt that one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending