The Student Room Group

AS Physics unit 1 AQA June 13 unofficial markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Abbseh
Can anyone remember the marks for 3bi? :smile: Thank you for posting these!

The question was, name a particle and its antiparticle. (1 mark) eg electron positron
The second part was, state a difference between a particle and antiparticle. (1 mark) eg opposite charge
Reply 21
Original post by Namch
Number 1
a) 20 protons , 28 neutrons and 18 electrons ( 3 marks)
bi) charge = 2+ = 3.2*10^-19 (1 mark)
ii) specific charge = part bi divided by mass of ion = 4.0*10^6Ckg^-1 (2 marks)

Number 2
a) A = down quark (d) , B = W+ meson , C = positron (e+) and D = neutrino (4 marks)
bi) weak interaction (1 mark)
ii)exchange particle = B (1 mark)
iii) difference between B and photon - photon has no charge or mass and particle B does (1 mark)
c) 2 things conserved in this process - any 2:
charge - charge before = charge after = +2/3
lepton number - before = 0 = after the decay
strangeness - before = 0 = to after the decay
baryon number - before = 1/3 after = 1/3
(4 marks)

Number 3
a) hadrons interat via stong and weak, lepton only via weak
hadrons split into 2 groups - baryons ( 3 quark or 3 anti quark structure ) and mesons ( quark anti quark structure)
example of lepton = electrons etc and hadrons = proton ( baryon aswell) and pion ( meson aswell)
similarity is that both groups of particles interact via weak force and both groups include anti particles
extra points - hadrons not fundemental , leptons are
(6 marks )
bi) any particle anti particle pair (1 or 2 marks not sure ? )
ii) these particle anti particles differ - OPPOSITE charges ( 1 mark)

Number 4
a) Energy of photon = hf , 1 to 1 interaction with electrons , kinetic energies vary up to a certain maximum as electrons position vary so the energy required to remove the electron varies . Those electrons at the surface are emitted with max Ek as the energy required to remove them = work functiom. Mention of formula aswell maybe. Range of ke's because more energy needed to remove deeper electrons etc.(3 marks)
bi) 2.89*10^-19J = 1.8eV = work function (3 marks )
ii) 2.89*10^-19 / h constant = 4.4 * 10^14 Hz (any 2 sf answer gives 1 mark ) (3 marks)
ci) frequency decreases , energy of photon decreases as E = hf and is dependent upon f , max Ek decreases of emitted electrons (2 marks )
ii) Intensity doubled , double the photons incident on the metal per second , double the electrons emitted per second (2 marks)

Number 5
ai) peak to peak = 128 V (1 mark)
ii) peak = 128/2 = 64V (1 mark)
iii)rms = 64/root2 = 45V (2 marks)
bi) 1 cycle = 10 ms , T = 10ms = 10*10^-3 s , f=1/T = 100 Hz ( 3 marks , 1 mark for Hz)
ii) a horizontal line at 45 V on figure 2 ( + or - 45 V i think) (2 marks)
c) Initially have time base off, u will get a vertical line = peak to peak voltage = 128V. 8 boxes vertically so set the y gain to around 128/8 = 16V div ^-1. We need 2 cycles, 1 cycle = 10ms 2 = 20 ms and horizontally we have 10 boxes so 20/10 = 2ms div^-1 = 2*10^-3s div^-1 ( 3 marks )

Number 6
ai)4.2*1.5 = 6.3 V (1 mark)
ii)12-6.3 = 5.7 V ( 1 mark)
iii) current through 2 ohm = 5.7/2 =2.85 A (1 mark)
iv) current through R = 4.2-2.85 = 1.35A (1 mark)
v) resistance of R = 5.7/1.35 = 4.22 ohms (1 mark)
vi)overall resistance of circuit = 2.9 ohms (2 marks)
b)26.46 W
16.245 W
7.695 W (3 marks)
c) energy is conserved as power is conserved. Power in batter = 12*4.2 = 50.4W and the total power of part b = 50.4 W (2 marks)

Number 7
a) current = V/R = 6/90,000 = 6.67*10^-5A (1mark)
ii) voltmeter reads 5000 * 6.67*10^-5 = 0.33 V (1 mark)
b) As light on LDR increases , resistance decreases , overall resistance decreases , current increases , V=IR so voltmeter reading increases (2 marks)
c) across 5000 ohm resistor voltage = 0.75, current = 0.75/5000 = 0.00015A total circuit current. Total voltage / total resistance = total circuit current , 6/total resistance = 0.00015, total resistance = 6/0.00015 = 40,000 ohms and 2 resistors each = 5000 ohms so 40,000 - 10,000 = 30, 000 ohms ( 3marks)

is neutron okay instead of d quark for Q2, as it did say which particle do these letters represent
Reply 22
Just looking to clarify a few things:

2b) I wrote that the photon is virtual and cannot be detected whereas the weak boson can.

2c) I wrote about the particle as a whole, saying that the charge from a proton (+1) is preserved with the charge of the positron, would that be okay?

4cii) I wrote that the kinetic energy of the electrons would decrease until it was below the threshold frequency where no electrons would then be emitted?

6b) For the values in the table is it okay that I rounded to 1 dp?

7b) If i accidentally read the question as the light intensity decreasing but explained it correctly, would what happen then?

Reply 23
Original post by Namch
Number 1
a) 20 protons , 28 neutrons and 18 electrons ( 3 marks)
bi) charge = 2+ = 3.2*10^-19 (1 mark)
ii) specific charge = part bi divided by mass of ion = 4.0*10^6Ckg^-1 (2 marks)

Number 2
a) A = down quark (d) , B = W+ meson , C = positron (e+) and D = neutrino (4 marks)
bi) weak interaction (1 mark)
ii)exchange particle = B (1 mark)
iii) difference between B and photon - photon has no charge or mass and particle B does (1 mark)
c) 2 things conserved in this process - any 2:
charge - charge before = charge after = +2/3
lepton number - before = 0 = after the decay
strangeness - before = 0 = to after the decay
baryon number - before = 1/3 after = 1/3
(4 marks)

Number 3
a) hadrons interat via stong and weak, lepton only via weak
hadrons split into 2 groups - baryons ( 3 quark or 3 anti quark structure ) and mesons ( quark anti quark structure)
example of lepton = electrons etc and hadrons = proton ( baryon aswell) and pion ( meson aswell)
similarity is that both groups of particles interact via weak force and both groups include anti particles
extra points - hadrons not fundemental , leptons are
(6 marks )
bi) any particle anti particle pair (1 or 2 marks not sure ? )
ii) these particle anti particles differ - OPPOSITE charges ( 1 mark)

Number 4
a) Energy of photon = hf , 1 to 1 interaction with electrons , kinetic energies vary up to a certain maximum as electrons position vary so the energy required to remove the electron varies . Those electrons at the surface are emitted with max Ek as the energy required to remove them = work functiom. Mention of formula aswell maybe. Range of ke's because more energy needed to remove deeper electrons etc.(3 marks)
bi) 2.89*10^-19J = 1.8eV = work function (3 marks )
ii) 2.89*10^-19 / h constant = 4.4 * 10^14 Hz (any 2 sf answer gives 1 mark ) (3 marks)
ci) frequency decreases , energy of photon decreases as E = hf and is dependent upon f , max Ek decreases of emitted electrons (2 marks )
ii) Intensity doubled , double the photons incident on the metal per second , double the electrons emitted per second (2 marks)

Number 5
ai) peak to peak = 128 V (1 mark)
ii) peak = 128/2 = 64V (1 mark)
iii)rms = 64/root2 = 45V (2 marks)
bi) 1 cycle = 10 ms , T = 10ms = 10*10^-3 s , f=1/T = 100 Hz ( 3 marks , 1 mark for Hz)
ii) a horizontal line at 45 V on figure 2 ( + or - 45 V i think) (2 marks)
c) Initially have time base off, u will get a vertical line = peak to peak voltage = 128V. 8 boxes vertically so set the y gain to around 128/8 = 16V div ^-1. We need 2 cycles, 1 cycle = 10ms 2 = 20 ms and horizontally we have 10 boxes so 20/10 = 2ms div^-1 = 2*10^-3s div^-1 ( 3 marks )

Number 6
ai)4.2*1.5 = 6.3 V (1 mark)
ii)12-6.3 = 5.7 V ( 1 mark)
iii) current through 2 ohm = 5.7/2 =2.85 A (1 mark)
iv) current through R = 4.2-2.85 = 1.35A (1 mark)
v) resistance of R = 5.7/1.35 = 4.22 ohms (1 mark)
vi)overall resistance of circuit = 2.9 ohms (2 marks)
b)26.46 W
16.245 W
7.695 W (3 marks)
c) energy is conserved as power is conserved. Power in batter = 12*4.2 = 50.4W and the total power of part b = 50.4 W (2 marks)

Number 7
a) current = V/R = 6/90,000 = 6.67*10^-5A (1mark)
ii) voltmeter reads 5000 * 6.67*10^-5 = 0.33 V (1 mark)
b) As light on LDR increases , resistance decreases , overall resistance decreases , current increases , V=IR so voltmeter reading increases (2 marks)
c) across 5000 ohm resistor voltage = 0.75, current = 0.75/5000 = 0.00015A total circuit current. Total voltage / total resistance = total circuit current , 6/total resistance = 0.00015, total resistance = 6/0.00015 = 40,000 ohms and 2 resistors each = 5000 ohms so 40,000 - 10,000 = 30, 000 ohms ( 3marks)

For 2 part C do you have to show that how they are conserved or just state it
Reply 24
Original post by Semanresu
The question was, name a particle and its antiparticle. (1 mark) eg electron positron
The second part was, state a difference between a particle and antiparticle. (1 mark) eg opposite charge

To fit into /70 should it be 2?
Reply 25
I found this a strange paper but I think I did okay :smile:
But do you reckon I'd lose marks for not leaving my answers to question 6 to 2 decical places. In the end they added up to give a power of 50.7 instead of 50.4
Reply 26
Strangeness doesn't need to be conserved in 2) c) since the conservation of strangeness is only conserved in strong force interactions.

Original post by preetham
For 2 part C do you have to show that how they are conserved or just state it

I'm pretty sure it said to show how they are conserved.
Reply 27
Original post by Loopset
is neutron okay instead of d quark for Q2, as it did say which particle do these letters represent

I wrote this too, but I don't think it would. They gave "u" in the question so you would have to know its "d"
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks for that, I tried one in January but I didn't get very far, it's hard remembering all the Qs. Feeling very confident after reading that, I can't see many places where I've lost marks.
Reply 29
Original post by Goods
I carried through the rounded values and used P=v2/r and used my rounded value of 2.9 for the total resistance. I ended up getting concordant results but of 49.7 rather than 50.4. (7.7+16+26 = 49.7 144/2.9= 49.7) I think it should only be 1 out of 2 hopefully.

I did the same thing. I'm praying for at least one mark
Reply 30
i put baryon number is conserved as it is +1 before and +1 after rather than the 1/3 is this right? and also i just put d. No quark or anything after, is this ok?
Reply 31
WOW according to this with me marking harshly I got 59 :biggrin: thats the highest I've ever got :biggrin: I loved this paper :smile:, but with the grade boundaries being tough this year would that be a B or an A?
Reply 32
Original post by CR95
i put baryon number is conserved as it is +1 before and +1 after rather than the 1/3 is this right? and also i just put d. No quark or anything after, is this ok?

The equation was in terms of quarks so your proof of conservation should've been:

1/3 -> 1/3 + 0 + 0
Reply 33
Original post by FMEC1996

2b) I wrote that the photon is virtual and cannot be detected whereas the weak boson can.

2c) I wrote about the particle as a whole, saying that the charge from a proton (+1) is preserved with the charge of the positron, would that be okay?

4cii) I wrote that the kinetic energy of the electrons would decrease until it was below the threshold frequency where no electrons would then be emitted?

7b) If i accidentally read the question as the light intensity decreasing but explained it correctly, would what happen then?

Can anyone help? :smile:
Reply 34
in the specific charge question for number 1, do you have to include the mass of the electrons? you get the same answer (4.0x10^6) if you don't.
For 6 c I got 50.3then some numbers, however I put them to 2 sig figs so both equaled 50

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeorgeBarrett1
For 6 c I got 50.3then some numbers, however I put them to 2 sig figs so both equaled 50

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would I loose marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by Goods
Did 6b) say not to round the answers?

also i assume 20v per division would be okay for 5c) ?

I actually wrote 20V per division for y gain so i hope it is ok
Reply 38
Original post by Loopset

A quark is a particle - a fundemental particle so i think writing neutron is wrong. This is just my opinion though it depends on markscheme
Reply 39
Original post by FMEC1996

Your answer to 2b i think is wrong. 2c many people did that im not sure which is correct , 4cii is fine , 6b is fine aswell and 7b i dont think u will get any marks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending