The Student Room Group

I think I did terrible on my chemistry GCSE - can I resit in the summer holidays?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MasterSnake
I'm working as a software developer earning 29k a year if you must know. If you're going to try and personally attack me, I suggest you research thoroughly first so you don't look the moron you currently are.

And since when is economics considered a second grade subject? I can understand history- personally I hated it. But Economics, really? Regardless they still trump your soft subjects no?

Nice to see you do have a chip on your shoulder about your soft subjects.

And you still haven't gotten over yourself have you? You still think you're this amazing person who's going to change this persons life with your condensing advice. Please get over yourself. Your advice was clearly not meant to be helpful.

If you're telling the truth, then congratulations. I wish I had known earlier that there was a degree in which I could get a very poor grade and still get a decent starting salary. May I ask what company you'll be working for?

Ah yes, I do agree maths mech, physics and chemistry are rather soft subjects ):
I also don't understand the "chip on my shoulder", is that a new saying? Or maybe it's just IT talk :biggrin:

Maybe my advice came off as condescending to you, but I do genuinely mean to tell the OP that the majority of life, you probably will need to put in slightly more effort.
Original post by eggfriedrice
If you're telling the truth, then congratulations. I wish I had known earlier that there was a degree in which I could get a very poor grade and still get a decent starting salary. May I ask what company you'll be working for?

Ah yes, I do agree maths mech, physics and chemistry are rather soft subjects ):
I also don't understand the "chip on my shoulder", is that a new saying? Or maybe it's just IT talk :biggrin:

Maybe my advice came off as condescending to you, but I do genuinely mean to tell the OP that the majority of life, you probably will need to put in slightly more effort.

Okay I apologies I was rather harsh- I just found your comment incredibly rude. I've been in that position when I've had to ask about resits at uni after messing up a first year exam. If someone came to me saying 'you should have worked harder' I would have probably hit them. Hindsight's 20/20 after all. Rather than saying 'should have revised longer than week', Is just rude. Imagine you messed up your A-levels and I come and say to you 'should have spent less time on TSR'; it's not a nice thing to hear. Especially say if you were asking about resits.

I'm working for Jaguar Land Rover if you must know. I wouldn't say a 2.2 is a poor grade. It's very dependent on the university you go to. Getting a 2.1 from Nottingham Trent is miles easier than getting a 2.1 from University of Nottingham. Some employers don't see that. But quite frankly if there's a company which can't see that- I'd rather not work there. They clearly have a flawed process.
Original post by MasterSnake
Okay I apologies I was rather harsh- I just found your comment incredibly rude. I've been in that position when I've had to ask about resits at uni after messing up a first year exam. If someone came to me saying 'you should have worked harder' I would have probably hit them. Hindsight's 20/20 after all. Rather than saying 'should have revised longer than week', Is just rude. Imagine you messed up your A-levels and I come and say to you 'should have spent less time on TSR'; it's not a nice thing to hear. Especially say if you were asking about resits.

I'm working for Jaguar Land Rover if you must know. I wouldn't say a 2.2 is a poor grade. It's very dependent on the university you go to. Getting a 2.1 from Nottingham Trent is miles easier than getting a 2.1 from University of Nottingham. Some employers don't see that. But quite frankly if there's a company which can't see that- I'd rather not work there. They clearly have a flawed process.

Thanks for your apology, I apologise too for being difficult.

I still stick by my initial statement. If she had said she thought she did poorly despite work hard, preferably more than a week, then I would have a completely different attitude.

Jaguar Land Rover, very nice! :biggrin: Definitely sounds interesting.
Original post by Data
Its not that simple. November and January exams have been abolished and taking the controlled assessment as a private candidate can be very difficult to arrange.

I believe the November resit window for English Language, English Literature and Maths will still exist.

The January session is definitely abolished though. Hopefully Labour can revert Gove's changes in 2015 and not just leave the English education system permanently ****ed up.

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/qualifications/examsadmin/a00202082/faqs-changes-to-end-of-course-gcse-exams#faq8
Reply 24
Original post by ThatPerson
I believe the November resit window for English Language, English Literature and Maths will still exist.

The January session is definitely abolished though. Hopefully Labour can revert Gove's changes in 2015 and not just leave the English education system permanently ****ed up.

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/qualifications/examsadmin/a00202082/faqs-changes-to-end-of-course-gcse-exams#faq8

I was keeping it simple as the q was about Chemistry. November will only be for Maths and English/English language not English Lit.. After this year it will only be for re-sits from the summer before, new entries will not be possible in November..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Oh dear :frown: :/@eggfriedrice, the comment you made wasn't very helpful. But I realize my mistake of not revising more thoroughly for the exams. I know I wont ever make that mistake in the future.When I wrote in my original message that I had "spent the whole week revising", I meant that I had been studying for hours each night... I have been revising gradually since February as we learnt the topics. However that turned out to be not quite enough.

@MasterSnake - thank you for the advice and stuff :smile: What you said is true - we usually do better in exams than we thought we would, so hopefully my grade will be ok. Good luck with whatever you are doing at the moment!

Quick Reply

Latest