The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 3 Enhlish Literature June 6 2013

HI
Is anyone here doing the exams.
My texts are Rapture by Carol Ann Duffy and The Great Gatsby by F.Scot Fitzgerald

Scroll to see replies

Hi I am taking this exam as a retake as I took it previously in Jan.
I am using Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Captain Corellis Mandolin and metaphysical poems.
I am also writing about relationships.
I'm trying to come up with some themes around this for revision but am struggling. I've done structures for past paper questions but its hard to come up with my own.
How are you revising for the 60 marker?
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm doing this exam but my texts are behind the scenes at the museum, the wife of bath, and a fat black womans poems,

DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR UNSEEN BECAUSE IM SO NERVOUS FOR IT
Original post by sofiax0
I'm doing this exam but my texts are behind the scenes at the museum, the wife of bath, and a fat black womans poems,

DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR UNSEEN BECAUSE IM SO NERVOUS FOR IT

AO2 is worth the most for the unseen so make sure you write lots about structure, form and language, but more importantly explain how they shape the meaning don't just list the techniques used, but say why they have been used in that way.

To start, before even reading the poem, look at its title. Write down some possible meanings/connotations from it because it can give you a good overview for the poem. You can also write about the title for a structure point.
Also look at the way it is presented on the page - how many stanza's, rhymes, enjambment etc.
Also remember to write about the tone/mood of the poem, whether it is humorous etc.
Narrative forms, is it a monologue?
Etc you get the point.

Include your opinions and I always feel the best way to start it is to explain what the poem is about. If you don't know what it's about then you cant explain how techniques shape the meaning of it.
Original post by Ellie_May :)
AO2 is worth the most for the unseen so make sure you write lots about structure, form and language, but more importantly explain how they shape the meaning don't just list the techniques used, but say why they have been used in that way.

To start, before even reading the poem, look at its title. Write down some possible meanings/connotations from it because it can give you a good overview for the poem. You can also write about the title for a structure point.
Also look at the way it is presented on the page - how many stanza's, rhymes, enjambment etc.
Also remember to write about the tone/mood of the poem, whether it is humorous etc.
Narrative forms, is it a monologue?
Etc you get the point.

Include your opinions and I always feel the best way to start it is to explain what the poem is about. If you don't know what it's about then you cant explain how techniques shape the meaning of it.

Ah thank you so much! I was just wondering whether you have specific things that you look out for, like a mental list or something technqieus wise e.g metaphors, first person, antithesis, stasis? or do you just see what pops up as you deal with it?
Reply 5
Hey, I'm also doing this mammoth exam!
We've done Captain Corelli's Mandolin (Louis de Bernieres), Rapture (Carol Anne Duffy) and Metaphysical poetry, and I'm also on the theme of relationships. As 20% of the marks are AO4 overall, I've been revising context points and things, and for AO3 I've been learning some critical opinions to throw in.

SO SCARED FOR THE UNSEEN. When I do them, I have a checklist that I go through, so once I've read through and derived some sort of meaning, I look at the form (if there is one) and see how that relates to the meaning, then just read through and look for rhyme/lack of, then just hope for the best with the language :')
Original post by sofiax0
Ah thank you so much! I was just wondering whether you have specific things that you look out for, like a mental list or something technqieus wise e.g metaphors, first person, antithesis, stasis? or do you just see what pops up as you deal with it?

I do both! I have written a whole list of things at home so I remember them but most of the time I will scan the poem and underline the techniques on the page. I spend about 5 mins annotating around the poem first with everything I find.
Reply 7
Heya :smile: Im taking the 101 poems against war, Kite runner and Spies!
Just wondering if anyone has any tips about answering the questions?! my english teacher really isnt very helpful and i either find i have planty on Ao3/4 but not enough on A02... i know Ao3/4 ismuch more heavily weighted but every mark counts and im wondering if anyone has a good system of integrating them? Thankyou!
so scared for this exam!
Reply 8
I'm taking the war poetry, The Kite Runner and Spies too :smile:
For the unseen poetry section A part, I have just been googling random poetry and analysing how the form, structure and language shape meaning - as this will be what the section A question will ask.
As for section B on the novels and poetry, in class we have covered all of the exam questions from all of the past papers on the edexcel site so I am pretty much just recapping everything and making a few of my own up to get my brain on the right page for thursday!

Majorly scared though, this exam is so important :frown:
Reply 9
Hey im doing war poetry, spies and kite runner too!!!! :smile:

Really bricking it :/... Any idea on what theme might pop up?
Reply 10
How do you guys structure the Section B essay
Original post by amyhelen
Hey im doing war poetry, spies and kite runner too!!!! :smile:

Really bricking it :/... Any idea on what theme might pop up?

Not sure, I don't even know what theme came up for the January entry or last year's June entry cos the edexcel website doesn't allow you to look at them unless you're a teacher. :frown:
But it might be something on cultural identity as that hasn't been for a while!
Reply 12
I'm doing this exam too. My advice for the unseens would be to just back yourself; what I mean is, if you think that the prose or poem is trying to put a certain message across, whatever you think it is (within reason) just make sure you back it up in detail with language, form and structure. That's what's good about English; it's all about interpretations and, within reason, you can't be 'wrong' so long as you back up your argument with evidence from the text.
Reply 13
Original post by emmalouise5
Not sure, I don't even know what theme came up for the January entry or last year's June entry cos the edexcel website doesn't allow you to look at them unless you're a teacher. :frown:
But it might be something on cultural identity as that hasn't been for a while!

Im thinking maybe something on appearance vs reality? i dont know why its just this weird inkling
cultural identity is a good shout though! Its annoying how hard it is to predict the questions in english! Gah i hat this exam so much!
Reply 14
Original post by Vicky_J
Im thinking maybe something on appearance vs reality? i dont know why its just this weird inkling
cultural identity is a good shout though! Its annoying how hard it is to predict the questions in english! Gah i hat this exam so much!

Are you doing Kite Runner, Spies and war poetry? I doubt something like appearance vs reality would come up, are you referring to Spies where Stephen isn't sure about his knowledge etc?

I think the whole idea of the texts is the impact of war or how war is presented (horror/glory/bravery/heroism/celebration etc.) so at least one question has to be moulded around this; they normally go for the humanity option too which is essentially the same thing.
Reply 15
Original post by Hodgey1
Are you doing Kite Runner, Spies and war poetry? I doubt something like appearance vs reality would come up, are you referring to Spies where Stephen isn't sure about his knowledge etc?

I think the whole idea of the texts is the impact of war or how war is presented (horror/glory/bravery/heroism/celebration etc.) so at least one question has to be moulded around this; they normally go for the humanity option too which is essentially the same thing.

what i mean by appearance versus reality is the way in which writers/ charachters perceive war compared to the reality of war ie war is considered a game/ noble but other combatants appear to stress otherwise? if that makes sense :tongue: and yea stephens knowledge can play in to that to as in what we think we know about war and what we really know!
Just a thought :smile:
I personally like it when questions about presenting horrors appears.
How do you approach a question when it says something like writing about both the horrors and also the celebrations? I never know hos to tackle them, separately or combined or maybe say nowadays nothing really to do with celebration and all horrors then go on and say that?
Sorry for this essay! but its something that i find so hard and my teacher will not give me any help!
Reply 16
Original post by Vicky_J
what i mean by appearance versus reality is the way in which writers/ charachters perceive war compared to the reality of war ie war is considered a game/ noble but other combatants appear to stress otherwise? if that makes sense :tongue: and yea stephens knowledge can play in to that to as in what we think we know about war and what we really know!
Just a thought :smile:
I personally like it when questions about presenting horrors appears.
How do you approach a question when it says something like writing about both the horrors and also the celebrations? I never know hos to tackle them, separately or combined or maybe say nowadays nothing really to do with celebration and all horrors then go on and say that?
Sorry for this essay! but its something that i find so hard and my teacher will not give me any help!

Oh I see, I don't know what poems you're doing but for example I've studied Dulce Et Decorum Est and you'd then use that poem as it exposes the realities of war in response to the propaganda of WW1?

I love questions about the horrors of war, I've revised it in such detail I'm pretty confident I could just churn out an essay about it.

With a question like that, personally, I'd say that some texts refer exclusively to the horrors (More Light, Dulce, Kite Runner to an extent? etc.) and then I'd talk about poems which celebrate the horrors of war (normally the pre-modern poems where warrior ethic was common) and then I'd refer to the poems which just celebrate humanity during war (Barricade etc.) if you understand what I mean?
Reply 17
Original post by Hodgey1
Oh I see, I don't know what poems you're doing but for example I've studied Dulce Et
With a question like that, personally, I'd say that some texts refer exclusively to the horrors (More Light, Dulce, Kite Runner to an extent? etc.) and then I'd talk about poems which celebrate the horrors of war (normally the pre-modern poems where warrior ethic was common) and then I'd refer to the poems which just celebrate humanity during war (Barricade etc.) if you understand what I mean?

Yea so possibly comparing the way combatants present war to non combatants- things like that :smile:
Unfortunately our anthology is 101 poems against war so they all pretty much damn war! Im thnking now of maybe saying the celebration in terms of defying the horrors of war... like Baba and Amir escaping it and finding a new life, Baba dieing happy, we see Keiths mother trying to help someone whose been through horrors and in a sense that's celebrating her. However, ultimately modern writers present horrors as thats more what we've come to expects due to media etc (ao4/ao3 woo!) sorry if im rambling, but it helps me to go through ideas with people!
Yeah thats a good thought actually, I'm pretty sure there will be at least 1 question out of the 2 that considers like the horrors or reality of war compared to how writers portray it (possible combatants and non-combatant writers).
But yeah, I'm in the same boat when questions ask you two opposing things. I normally just pick a text that supports one end of the argument (that war is necessary - it took Amir's guilt and atonement at the end for him to become a changed man, and at the same time it offers hope for Afghanistan) and then pick another text like Spies that could support the fact war is neccessary in bringing out the realities of life and circumstance.

Or something of that sort lol. I'm more worried of the planning stage at the beginning as usually when I read a question, my thoughts get so carried away I lose track of what I'm writing!
is anyone doing the "idenifying self" section? I'm doing the wife of bath, behind the scenes and a fat black womans poems?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending