The Student Room Group

English Language AS Level AQA

Hi, my English Lang exam is on this Friday and I desperately need some help with different revision techniques for revising Child Language Acquisition. Any help at all would be muchly appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
I'm doing mind maps to help me with the theories etc, and as for the different terminology I'm stuffed! I can't remember it all:frown: however I'm used to dealing with theories because I do sociology :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Okay, thanks! Yeah, terminology is my downfall too!
Reply 3
I've done my A level now but I found coloured mind maps and flash cards with definitions really useful. From the examminers reports they like candidates to use the extract as for or against the theory so it might be worthwhile looking at other theories not in the text book like the fis theory.
Best of Luck :biggrin:
Reply 4
Help with terminology: http://grammar.about.com/od/terms/a/100-Key-Grammatical-Terms.htm

MODE PLAN:
1. Intro: genre, audience, subject, purpose
2. Mode features - go through the mode continuum, explaining where the texts could be placed and evidence.
3. Analysis of meaning - how do the texts represent the topic, how do the writers/participants represent themselves, how are the audience positioned.

CLA:
http://flashcarddb.com/cardset/61223-child-language-acquisition-flashcards

Hope this helps.

Reply 5
Hi guys,

Could someone please give me an example of how you would talk about a theory for language/power and language/gender

My exam is on friday so please any time soon, thank you so much!!

sent me a private message, whatever thanks soso much
Reply 6
Do you mean the data extract that is provided in the exam paper?
Reply 7
How are you guys revising for English language and what are your tips? For all my other exams I would do past papers but it seems abit pointless as youre given a completely different extract.. I'm starting to real panic :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Lola M
How are you guys revising for English language and what are your tips? For all my other exams I would do past papers but it seems abit pointless as youre given a completely different extract.. I'm starting to real panic :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say do past papers, but only plan your answers and then compare the content to that on the mark schemes :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by amyray
I'd say do past papers, but only plan your answers and then compare the content to that on the mark schemes :smile:

Ah good idea, thank you! My biggest problem is time management, do you think I would get penalised if I wrote good points but its wasn't finished?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
What theorists are there to discuss when faced with a media or fictional text for the gender section? I know for gender in speech there are tons like Lakoff, O'Barr and Atkins and Zimmerman and West, I'm just completely lost for researchers for media and fictional gender texts.
Reply 11
Original post by appleduck
What theorists are there to discuss when faced with a media or fictional text for the gender section? I know for gender in speech there are tons like Lakoff, O'Barr and Atkins and Zimmerman and West, I'm just completely lost for researchers for media and fictional gender texts.

I'm retaking the exam as I did it last year and got a C but want a B. The gender bit was horrible last year as it was a fiction book and I like you only know theorists for speech, so If you do find out any please let me know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by appleduck

You could mention Dale Spender and Man Made Language, plus there's good stuff by Deborah Cameron in Verbal Hygiene, and Mary M Talbot's Language and Gender. Worth bringing in Big Norm (aka Fairclough) from language and power too, as his Critical Discourse Analysis is central to pulling apart texts for representation.

If you can get access via your school/college, emagazine's archive is excellent for this kind of stuff.
Reply 13
Original post by amyray
I've done my A level now but I found coloured mind maps and flash cards with definitions really useful. From the examminers reports they like candidates to use the extract as for or against the theory so it might be worthwhile looking at other theories not in the text book like the fis theory.
Best of Luck :biggrin:

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending