The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA Grades so far (including ISA scores)

Scroll to see replies

Oh, by the way! I have reason to be pessimistic about this.

On the old specification, the controlled assessment was out of 40 marks. So I went on AQA's UMS calculator and found out that in the June 2012 exam series, 36/40 in the controlled assessment was 90 UMS. Unlike exams, the controlled assessment seems to actually follow percentage exactly. Which means 45/50 on the new spec would be 90 UMS and 43/50 would be 86 UMS.
Isas:
Chemistry 44
Physics 43
Biology 44
Rough indication of UMS?
Reply 22
Original post by the1akshay
Biology - 45/50
Chemistry - 43/50
Physics - 43/50

I am quite afraid that the UMS score of my ISA will determine my grade more than my exams will. What I mean is that I've never gone below 94 UMS in either Unit 1 or Unit 2 of the sciences, and yet 43/50 might be 86 UMS. Combined with poor performance in Unit 3, I might end up with 359 UMS or something and miss out on the A* that I really want.

Mate. You have nothing to be worried about. I want A* in chemistry and managed to get 39 in the ISA which my school called a possible A*. Yet most people on here are getting 43 upwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Don't forget the majority of those on TSR will be better candidates.... the average in my class was around 40 i reckon, and in the year around 35
Reply 24
Original post by Alex_Aits
Don't forget the majority of those on TSR will be better candidates.... the average in my class was around 40 i reckon, and in the year around 35

Yeah people on this do seem to be pretty clever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 47 in physics, 46 in biology and 43 in chemistry. In my school the teachers told us that 45 was an A* and 40 was an A, but I'm not sure if they know that or if they're just assuming that 90% is an A* and 80% is an A. :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Millerman
What did you get in unit 1 and 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unit 1:
Biology:97
Chemistry:100
Physics:100

Unit 2:
Biology:95
Chemistry:90
Physics:96
Reply 27
Original post by matty6mitchell
Personally, I think A* will be 40/41. My ISA grades were:
Physics 47

Chemistry 40
Biology 45

wow they are pretty good, do you have any advice for ISA? I'm doing my biology ISA this thursday. Really worried, worth 25%...:confused::eek:

Thanks
Reply 28
Wow! Is that a private or grammar school? Because our school is state but it still pretty good and top set were on average around 37.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it's a state school, but I'm probably being too generous. Maybe the averages were around 39/40, because there are some retards in set 1
42/50-Chemistry!If it helps,the smartest person(straight A*'s) in our class also got 42/50!
Reply 30
BIO: 47- 98-100 UMS
PHY: 45- 95-96 UMS
CHEM: 44- 93-95 UMS
-I did the triple ISA.

The people who use tsr are relatively smart so i wouldn't worry if u got about 40.
My teachers across these subjects have predicted using the core and additional grade boundaries that A* will be 38-42
100 UMS would be 47ish.
Reply 31
Original post by Efemena15
No it's a state school, but I'm probably being too generous. Maybe the averages were around 39/40, because there are some retards in set 1

Do you think they could maybe get changed then by the moderators if they've been too generous?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by king_revision
Unit 1:
Biology:97
Chemistry:100
Physics:100

Unit 2:
Biology:95
Chemistry:90
Physics:96

Dam they're good grades!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Any educated guesses as to what the following ISA Raw Marks are in terms of UMS?

Biology; 38/50 (76%)
Chemistry; 41/50 (82%)
Physics; 43/50 (86%)

I got the 2nd highest in my year for Biology and Chemistry and the highest in my year for Physics, which obviously I'm pretty pleased with, but they don't seem particularly high to me. What do you think?
Reply 34
Do you think they could maybe get changed then by the moderators if they've been too generous?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I think some teachers in my school have been too generous, however some are also quite strict, such as my chemistry teacher
Reply 35
We were told probably 39/50 would roughly be an A*
I got Biology 45/50 Chemistry 43/50 and Physics 46/50 and all 3 of my teachers thought these could be possible 100 UMS's so fingers crossed :tongue: although I think they might be more around 95 UMS
I'm an A* student and I go to a high performing grammar school, however few people have been achieving marks of over 40 in the ISA's and even fewer have achieved marks higher than 45. I've got:

Biology - 43/50
Chemistry - 41/50
Physics - 40/50

Personally, I think the marking from some schools has been overgenerous, and hopefully AQA will do their job and create an even playing field through moderation.
Reply 37
We were told at school that 39 for A* and 43 for 100UMS, they were going by the same boundries from last year, which should be similar otherwise AQA are being unfare towards current yr11's.
Reply 38
Original post by Joe7
I'm an A* student and I go to a high performing grammar school, however few people have been achieving marks of over 40 in the ISA's and even fewer have achieved marks higher than 45. I've got:

Biology - 43/50
Chemistry - 41/50
Physics - 40/50

Personally, I think the marking from some schools has been overgenerous, and hopefully AQA will do their job and create an even playing field through moderation.

I spoke to my chem teacher today and he said that our school marks strictly but it will all be even in the end. He said in schools where the class size is below 20, all of them are moderated. And in schools with class size over 20, the moderator selects a sample.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
What does everyone think the UMS marks will be for the ISAs? Our teachers said to double our marks...so in Bio I got 45 which was 90...but apparently some people think that 45 will be 100 UMS? I'm just going to be pessimistic lol.

Quick Reply

Latest