The Student Room Group

What are the main differences between northerners and southerners?

Are the chavs different or the same?

Are Southerners more articulate than northerners?

Is northern humour more simple than down south?

Are Southerner's more politer than up north?

Are northers more friendlier to strangers ?

How are southerners considered rude?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The main difference is how much rent we pay.

****ing London rent :-/
Reply 2
Location.
Reply 3
One is from the north and the other from the south...that's one big difference.
Reply 4
Hhahah, that psychology is verging on very complex.
So, so true. I live with several people from Yorkshire and they all seem to think that it's the centre of the sodding universe.

Honestly, the main difference between southerners and northerners is that northerners think geographic origins are a big thing, and southerners don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
One is from the north, the other is from the south

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tim2341

Are the chavs different or the same?

Are Southerners more articulate than northerners?

Is northern humour more simple than down south?

Are Southerner's more politer than up north?

Are northers more friendlier to strangers ?

How are southerners considered rude?

Where they live/come from
I moved from the South (in a medium sized town) to Liverpool for uni.

The major difference I see is in accents most obviously, and probably certain fashion trends which will vary between regions (e.g. you don't see women with rollers in their hair out and about in the South, but I see this commonly in Liverpool).

I think sometimes northeners are more likely to chat to strangers whilst waiting at the bus stop / traffic lights etc. and seem a bit more friendly in that respect. People down South seem a bit more likely to keep themselves to themselves.
I moved from the South (in a medium sized town) to Liverpool for uni.

The major difference I see is in accents most obviously, and probably certain fashion trends which will vary between regions (e.g. you don't see women with rollers in their hair out and about in the South, but I see this commonly in Liverpool).

I think sometimes northeners are more likely to chat to strangers whilst waiting at the bus stop / traffic lights etc. and seem a bit more friendly in that respect. People down South seem a bit more likely to keep themselves to themselves.
I guess northerners are form the North whilst Southerners are from the south
I moved from the midlands, with a northern family background, to the south for university. For differences I've found the slang used to be massively different and have taught my southern housemates many new words! These include mardy and chunter :biggrin: Also the food eaten is different, my housemates found it a novelty when I was tucking into a fishfinger butty :biggrin:
In my experience, apart from the obvious, it's that Northerners tend to make a big deal out of it, Southerners dont'.
Reply 13
Original post by Emmaayziing
I moved from the midlands, with a northern family background, to the south for university. For differences I've found the slang used to be massively different and have taught my southern housemates many new words! These include mardy and chunter :biggrin: Also the food eaten is different, my housemates found it a novelty when I was tucking into a fishfinger butty :biggrin:

Which do you prefer, Southampton or nottingham?
Reply 14
Southerns do not have Scousers among us.
Northerners go on about being northern all the time time and 'southerners' just get on with life, finding conversations like this confusing, having never referred to themselves as 'southerners'.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by FrostyLemon
Northerners go on about being northern all the time time and southerners just get on with life.

This.

The only people I've ever heard complain about the north south divide, or claim that the other side are inherently inferior, are northerners many of whom appear to have a big chip on their shoulder about it
Different accents? Lots of different accents up north.
Down south they can't pronounce the letters 'a' or 'h' correctly.

I'm a midlander :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emmaayziing

And they don't know what cobs are!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending