The Student Room Group

A2 Product Design (PROD3) Exam 4th June

Who is doing this exam? I'm mixed feelings about the exam due to extremely low grade boundaries and my poor English.

Need a C in the exam for an overall A but would like to get an High A/A* to get the A* grade.

Any tips?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ahhh i am !!! SO WORRIED!!
I need an A overall and only scraped an A overall at AS so resat the AS exam last week!!
Im just worried how subjective the marking of this exam is, i pray for a nice examiner !!
Ive just been through EVERY past paper and trying to spot what is a common theme and what hasnt come up !
x
Reply 2
Original post by lou95-xox
ahhh i am !!! SO WORRIED!!
I need an A overall and only scraped an A overall at AS so resat the AS exam last week!!
Im just worried how subjective the marking of this exam is, i pray for a nice examiner !!
Ive just been through EVERY past paper and trying to spot what is a common theme and what hasnt come up !
x

Yeah I'm quiet worried too, Just remember to make sure the essay flows good and don't go off topic is what I'm trying to focus on most. Doesn't help the questions are pretty naff. Best of luck.
Reply 3
what topics are you guys revising?
I have revised every topics that haven't come up before but i am struggling when doing the past papers I keep going off topic even though I think i know the answers when i looked at the mark scheme

IS there any way to improve the strategy when answering?
Reply 5
I'm mainly revising development in technology, iconic design and ict in manufacture!! Seems to come up quite a lot!!! And with regards to staying on topic, I try and end each paragraph linking it to the question :smile: xx
Reply 6
The thing I hate about this exam is how the structure of the paper has changed from AS, I didn't take this subject expecting essay questions at A2. I'd like to keep an A, but the paper worries me a lot.
I'm interested to know what topics everyone is revising, currently I know most of this:

-aspects of different volumes of production
-health and safety in industry (the JCB example)
-art movements (art nouveau, arts and crafts, art deco, memphis, bauhaus)
-industrial tests
-robotics
-technological advancements (only in TVs)
-modern manufacturing systems (QRP, JIT etc.)
-communication of design ideas
-iconic design (iPod)
-sustainable design
-ICT in manufacture (with the Wedgwood example)

anything major I've missed that any of you are covering??
Reply 7
I dont feel too worried to be honest, think about it this way, you dont necessarily have to write an essay, they give us plain paper, that suggests that they want diagrams to support statements, make sure you annotate those drawings. As long as you answer the question and make sure it is all relevant and factual then you will get marks.

If you write a sentence for example:

Fiberglass is good for use in boats because it can be molded into complex shapes.

After that sentence, ask yourself WHY, why is that a benefit?

Fiberglass is good for use in boats because it can be molded into complex shapes; this is very useful because it allows designers to improve on hydrodynamics, making the boat more streamlined and therefore faster through the water with less drag.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
That the confusing part though, the mark scheme doesn't seem to award or advise using sketches. Biggest problem I'm having is collecting all my ideas in to one, well written methodical essay. In very little of the questions can I see a place to put pictures in.
Reply 9
i'm kinda scared for this exam it's soo different to AS i feel like i still don't know enough before tuesday :s-smilie: I'm mainly doing practise papers and there's only three and a trial paper and i'm focusing on the back of the AQA book as I've been through the front a lot already. Im mostly worried about not writing fast enough as i always waste time thinking what to write down.

Any suggestions ???!!!! on how to tackle the paper would be most grateful :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Josiep

Any suggestions ???!!!! on how to tackle the paper would be most grateful :smile:

2 hours for 3 questions, 40 minutes a question. This is how I'm doing it. Its more like 30 mins when you consider thinking+ checking. You need to consider how each statement you make will flow into the next one. As for sketching, I've got no idea. Best I have come up with is just throwing sketches in of process you might of mentioned, like injection moulding, and ruff sketches of the product you named, label them as well. apart from that, good luck, because this is going to be hard as ****. Full marks in coursework, just hope I can get 90 ums in this
Reply 11
Original post by Dodsworth
2 hours for 3 questions, 40 minutes a question. This is how I'm doing it. Its more like 30 mins when you consider thinking+ checking. You need to consider how each statement you make will flow into the next one. As for sketching, I've got no idea. Best I have come up with is just throwing sketches in of process you might of mentioned, like injection moulding, and ruff sketches of the product you named, label them as well. apart from that, good luck, because this is going to be hard as ****. Full marks in coursework, just hope I can get 90 ums in this

That's a good idea, I'm gonna time myself on one of the practise papers.

I got 72 marks in the coursework this year, last year I got a B on the coursework and i re-took the AS exam a few weeks ago so I have no idea what I could get in the end I just want to get as much as Possible in this exam.
Reply 12
Something else to consider is doing a mind map with everything that you think may be even slightly relevant, include that mind map as what you give in, it then allows the examiner to see your thought processes, also if you do a mind map before tackling the question, you can then pick and choose what you want to include in your answer, also you can jot things down as you remember them because there is no fixed structure.
Reply 13
What products do you think are good to learn in detail? i have done music players for technological developments and the ipod/mini for iconic design. Do you think there's any other famous products that would be worth having a look at?? :smile: xxx
Reply 14
Original post by lou95-xox
What products do you think are good to learn in detail? i have done music players for technological developments and the ipod/mini for iconic design. Do you think there's any other famous products that would be worth having a look at?? :smile: xxx

I would recommend looking at a kettle for making a design more sustainable. (Life cycle assessment)

Research an office chair for ergonomics this can usually be applied to anything, eg a car interior (lumbar support/height adjustment/headrest).

An iron is a good example to use when making a design safer.
Has anyone got any notes on the mini for iconic design.. I'm slightly confused as to what makes it so iconic?
Reply 16
Original post by Lastminutepanic
Has anyone got any notes on the mini for iconic design.. I'm slightly confused as to what makes it so iconic?

An iconic design is:

A design that sets a bench mark for others to follow.
A ground breaking design, in terms of its technology or manufacturing techniques used during its production.
A design that improves on the past.
A design that sets new standards in terms of quality, functions/features or style.
A design that stands the test of time, remaining popular despite the passing of years.
A design that stays in the memory of those who see/use it.
A design that is often recognised immediately by consumers.
A design that inspires other designers.
Sets a trend.
A design that is innovative.
A design that is aesthetically pleasing.
A design that is often emulated/copied by other designers.
A design that has its place in history, or even helps change history.

The mini cooper:

Function:
Transverse engine (saves space, innovative design allows more room inside.)
10ft long, saves weight making it an environmentally friendly design.
Rubber cone suspension made the car behave like a go-cart.
First small car with front wheel drive

Form:
One of the most influential cars of the 21st century.
Stylish design that was affordable. Paved the way for commuting cars.
Timeless (people still drive them today.)
The original design set a bench mark for the new mini designs. The Suzuki swift was inspired by the aesthetics of the mini.

Summary:

The original Mini design and subsequent designs have set the bench mark for other ‘compact’ car manufacturers to follow.
Ground breaking engineering and technology was developed during its design and manufacture, which continues today.
The original Mini was an improvement on previous ‘small’ car design.
The original Mini set new standards in terms of the features it offered and its style, especially with the more expensive deluxe models.
The Mini brand has stood the test of time, with modern BMW versions being as popular as early models.
The Mini design is instantaneously recognisable.
The Mini design has inspired other manufacturers to design their own small cars, some even look similar.
Mini designs remain aesthetically pleasing, despite the passing of decades.
Thank you!!! Such a great description
Reply 18
yeah i would defo make a mind map of all the things you need to talk about and then link the topics that make more sense together so that the essay will flow better
Reply 19
also with the mini, the seams are on the outside of the car and so it makes it easier for engineers to do their spot welds and makes the car bigger on the inside because they dont have to accomodate for them.

also could be said that because of the immense range of colours and customisable parts it makes it so much more personal to the owner

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending